The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to Tropical Birdland Desford. Never been before but really glad we went. The stunningly beautiful colours, you could buy little bags of fruit and nuts to feed them, most were in aviaries but a lot were out in the open and were happy to sit on people in exchange for food. I am not a fan of caging birds but some are close to extinction so I suppose this is the best way to ensure their survival and they have a succesful breeding programme.

Having only ever seen parrots, parakeets and cockatoo in cages before coming to Australia where they fly around wild as common birds that I see frequently every day has taken a little getting used to.

I disturbed some common Rosella last night at dusk, lovely birds. Some are red and blue, some are red and green. But the red is bright red and no mistaking it and they don't half stand out. They are lovely birds that chatter endlessly.

Other news is that my septic tank has decided to pop up to say hello!

_20160801_071318.JPG
The inlet is on the right!

I don't think they are meant to do this and we have rated this as moderately bad.
We are back to camping mode, but there is a twist. Digging a hole in land the typically only had around 1 inch of top soil is proving interesting. Top soil exists at the bottom of hills where water ways are such as our bore water or our creek. Old, mature trees that shed their bark seem to be the next best alternative. You can get around 8 inches there and feed the tree as well. :whistling:

We wait to see what the agents say later today.

Never a dull moment...

Other news is that my septic tank has decided to pop up to say hello!

View attachment 2957
The inlet is on the right!

I don't think they are meant to do this and we have rated this as moderately bad.
We are back to camping mode, but there is a twist. Digging a hole in land the typically only had around 1 inch of top soil is proving interesting. Top soil exists at the bottom of hills where water ways are such as our bore water or our creek. Old, mature trees that shed their bark seem to be the next best alternative. You can get around 8 inches there and feed the tree as well. :whistling:

We wait to see what the agents say later today.

Never a dull moment...
At least the lid stayed on!

At least the lid stayed on!
don't think there is actually anything in there to worry about. That is actually the problem. It looks like it was drained completely. If it was, then it should have had water (at the very minimum) added back into the system to refill it because they are designed to work with a certain level of liquid in them in 3 different layers. You should never actually empty a septic tank completely, even ones that need emptying rather than the self emptying ones which this is (though periodically the sludge at the bottom does need pumping out).

Having only ever seen parrots, parakeets and cockatoo in cages before coming to Australia where they fly around wild as common birds that I see frequently every day has taken a little getting used to.

I disturbed some common Rosella last night at dusk, lovely birds. Some are red and blue, some are red and green. But the red is bright red and no mistaking it and they don't half stand out. They are lovely birds that chatter endlessly.

When we were in Sydney we saw our first Kookaburra sitting on an elecyricity pole, we also saw some parrakeets flying freely a real joy to see.

When we were in Sydney we saw our first Kookaburra sitting on an elecyricity pole, we also saw some parrakeets flying freely a real joy to see.
We haven't yet seen our kookaburra, we have at least one resident one which cackles at us every dawn... But we have also like you seen one sitting on power cables.
We've also seen several wombats now including a very confused one in day light in the middle of the day. Luckily we have been successfully avoiding close encounters with kangaroo whilst driving :whistling:

We have our own flock or perhaps cackle is a better word (?) of sulphur crested parrakeets and some delightful common rosella. Plus there are the superb fairy... I've forgotten now what the rest of their name is!

Anyhow life is proving interesting here.

don't think there is actually anything in there to worry about. That is actually the problem. It looks like it was drained completely. If it was, then it should have had water (at the very minimum) added back into the system to refill it because they are designed to work with a certain level of liquid in them in 3 different layers. You should never actually empty a septic tank completely, even ones that need emptying rather than the self emptying ones which this is (though periodically the sludge at the bottom does need pumping out).
I was going to ask if it'd been emptied, or if the "burp" was the result of the new occuppants cleaning.

I was going to ask if it'd been emptied, or if the "burp" was the result of the new occuppants cleaning.
I haven't been putting anything 'toxic' to it down the drain, though now there isn't a septic tank attached at the moment i am taking the opportunity to clean the drains because I made the mistake of trying to unblock the kitchen sink. It's several mm thick in black slime that stinks and the toilet goes yellow of its own accord. It's raining very heavily at the moment so a little bleach won't hurt the 'system'.

I'll ditch what I've got in the bucket at the moment into the septic tank later, they are draining it shortly so it's not going to make any difference anymore.

I haven't been putting anything 'toxic' to it down the drain, though now there isn't a septic tank attached at the moment i am taking the opportunity to clean the drains because I made the mistake of trying to unblock the kitchen sink. It's several mm thick in black slime that stinks and the toilet goes yellow of its own accord. It's raining very heavily at the moment so a little bleach won't hurt the 'system'.

I'll ditch what I've got in the bucket at the moment into the septic tank later, they are draining it shortly so it's not going to make any difference anymore.
I hope you got your place for a very cheap rental... doesn't sound like its fit for habitation by H & S standards alone!

The tank has only "burped" sofar, that's not that bad.
Having to go to the toilet in a hole dug outside (did I understand that right?:eek:), I wouldn't consider to be a minor glitch. I was also thinking of the blocked kitchen sink, the yellow toilet and the chimney needing cleaning... I'd expect a very hefty rent rebate.

Hi folks. I'm back.. Don't know for now long, think the wind is blowing in the right direction and I have to stand in 1 particular spot which just so happens to be my laundry room which faces north so gets all the sun and is more a greenhouse than anything else. View is great mind you but I'm having to run the tablet with mains plugged in and brightness at max just to make our the screen and shield my eyes as well. Can't sit down either because the tablet had to be against the window in a certain manner. Better signal outside at one certain spot but there is now a hassle, literally, blowing and outside is interesting... Still nice and sunny, but another frost this morning but weather is changing again.

Right must continue work. Back later when i need a break.

A little of my view

View attachment 2919

Wow! Beautiful view! It's obviously been a while since I have been here. lots of chatter! sounds crazy how you have to get signal on your tablet to get on here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom