The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Walkers crisps factory is not far away from where we live and this evening on BBC 2 there was a programme all about the factory, how crisps are flavoured, taste tested etc.. I now have a fancying for cheese and onion crisps.

I never eat crisps these days, but in the times when I did, I always remember that cheese and onion were the only ones I couldn't eat as a vegetarian. All those so-called meaty ones were fine because they were all artificial flavours, but cheese and onion had animal rennet.

I never eat crisps these days, but in the times when I did, I always remember that cheese and onion were the only ones I couldn't eat as a vegetarian. All those so-called meaty ones were fine because they were all artificial flavours, but cheese and onion had animal rennet.
I think they're all vegetarian these days. I always have those huge bags with multiple varieties as others here eat them. I do sometimes. Quite nice with a beer in the early evening. In general though I find them too salty (which is odd because I'm a salt addict), so I rather prefer the 'salt your own' variety.

Yes, I think all of them are vegetarian now, but I find them overly salty among other things. I prefer brazils or cashews (unsalted) with the bewildering selection of beer that flows in The Mallard Tavern.

Yes, I think all of them are vegetarian now, but I find them overly salty among other things. I prefer brazils or cashews (unsalted) with the bewildering selection of beer that flows in The Mallard Tavern.
I avoid nuts at all costs due to calorie content. I have made my own crisps - and you can make them from other vegetables (in fact you can now buy parsnip, beetroot and other vegetable crisps). Its too time consuming to be bothered to make them regularly though!

Avoid the nuts - I always find they tend to cause unsteadiness on the feet when eaten with several pints of good beer.:whistling:

My house has a toilet again. The plumber was able to get the old toilet up and running on Monday, so I only needed to change buildings for a couple of days. Yellow water even brown water is not uncommon for bore water in any country and even in Scotland, I grew up with that and there is was the drinking water and bath water as well. As a kid having a bath was great fun because the water was already brown when you got into it! Here it is only the toilet and washing machine water that run off the bore water inside the house - outside of the house it is everything and we have loads of taps outside. I now have a fully working system again inside the house as of last night. The septic tank has been completely ripped out (literally - see my blog photos) and a new one installed late last night. They stayed working long after dark last night to get it up and running, leaving me to turn off the bore water (refilling it) around 9pm last night.

As a child growing up vegetarian, I remember loads of things not being not being vegetarian, such as cheese and onion crisps, which bacon flavoured were, polos were not for a very long time, virtually any mouse or jelly of any type wasn't (M&S were one of the first to change which was great because they forced a massive upheaval), rich tea biscuits were not veggie.

Nowadays, it is things like salt and vinegar flavoured crisps not being vegan that get me whilst ironically things like texas BBQ or smokey BBQ are vegan!

Right time for some photos of outside before the workmen arrive (for the blog) and then a shower. I have work to do.... including wood to make into kindling (I do the kindling a day at a time, my husband does the big log splitting a week at a time), wood to bring in to the house for tonight's fire and the blog to update amongst another load of washing, and much more cleaning and unpacking to deal with. And yes the house did not meet H&S standards of the UK. I suspect it didn't for Australia either, but then I have always lived in places like this and I knew that the only way you afford to live in places like this is to expect to have to deal with mice and major cleaning when you move in. There is still a lot of work to be done. We have the plumbers coming back to finish today and deal with some other leaks we have. The builder is probably coming around next week (he doesn't know this yet because he is on holiday) because the roof leaks when it rains heavily and we have a possum issue amongst a few other issues like not a single door locking, not that that actually bothers me because you have to have found the place first and well, its not as though anyone would not put one of the axes in the car port through a window and not be seen or heard. I have no neighbours or anything other than wildlife. There are 5 miles (8km) of dirt track to drive down first and my post box is over 4km away, that's 2.5 miles!

As for internet, it is a currently via a hotspot on my mobile phone which has to be on charge (to boast the signal - and it seriously does make a difference here), on a suction cup attached to the laundry room window in a certain position. Any other and I don't get a signal. I'm actually not meant to be able to get any coverage, including just phone calls here, so that very fact I can even get internet is stunning. We are on the waiting list for the new high speed satellite broadband. It's about 2 months long we have been told, so this rather intermittent coverage is what I have to live with for the time being. But other than my sister's wedding for which I will hopefully spend the night at a friends in Canberra where I will have a steady 4G signal to rely on I'm not that bothered. And I have just lost the signal again!

Ahhhhhhhhh

My house has a toilet again. The plumber was able to get the old toilet up and running on Monday, so I only needed to change buildings for a couple of days. <SNIPPED> There are 5 miles (8km) of dirt track to drive down first and my post box is over 4km away, that's 2.5 miles!

I'm beginning to feel quite pleased that I'm in my nice boring terraced house in Maidstone.:D But its all fun out there, I guess. And I sense that you must really a be a whole lot physically better than a few months back. :) As for me. I'm suffering from foot problems. Its quite agonising and walking anywhere has become a problem.:mad: Will be seeing my GP ASAP as this has come out of the blue and has been going on for a week now (getting worse).

We arrived in Borneo at about 2pm today, Sunday. Luggage arrrives tomorrow :o_o:

We packed spare pants in the hand luggage and we have toiletries in the bathroom so all is not lost, just want my cossie so I can go swimming.

We arrived in Borneo at about 2pm today, Sunday. Luggage arrrives tomorrow :o_o:

We packed spare pants in the hand luggage and we have toiletries in the bathroom so all is not lost, just want my cossie so I can go swimming.

enjoy yourself. I always pack enough in the hand luggage to survive several days (and underwear can always be turned inside out if needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom