The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was posted on another forum to which I subscribe. I cannot state that it's factual and the wording "....tried that cuisine in each country" could be expressed incorrectly, but I found it interesting.

All of my houses have had two-car garages. Until a few years ago, I always had two cars (three when I was married -- and a boat). My current garage could easily hold a full-size Mercan truck. My MINI has about five feet in front, and six feet behind it when parked.

A garage for my cars has always been a top-priority. I'm a car nut.

CD
My brother collects rare motorcycles, nothing extremely unusual, just ones that had low production numbers and that catch his fancy.

When he got divorced, he lived in his truck (with his dog) for a couple of years, occasionally sleeping at friends' and family's houses, and when the opportunity arose, he bought a few acres off our grandmother, and proceeded to design his house.

We have an Amish-owned building company nearby that will take your sketches and turn them into proper blueprints and cut all the lumber, and that's what he did.

Besides a few other oddities, he designed his living room to basically be a massive garage. Proper garage door on one side, insulated to minimize heating/cooling loss, a custom double-door entry (no center pillar), so he would have the option to ride a bike right through the front door, and a poured cement floor covered in industrial rubber.

He put a line of metal shelving units down the middle, to sort of distinguish between living room and garage, and had several bikes on one side, and his sofa, TV, and a little wet bar on the other side. He was forever grateful when I dubbed it "The Liverage," (combo of living room and garage).

A few years later, he got married again, and...all that came to an end. :laugh:

A few years later, he got married again, and...all that came to an end. :laugh:

When I got divorced, I kept our house. When the divorce was final, I sold it, and had my current house built -- MY way. One of the reasons I can't see myself getting married again is that I like my house, and don't want to change it or sell it to buy "our" house.

CD

When I got divorced, I kept our house. When the divorce was final, I sold it, and had my current house built -- MY way. One of the reasons I can't see myself getting married again is that I like my house, and don't want to change it or sell it to buy "our" house.

CD

Sounds like a good enough reason to me!

Brilliant. I don't suppose you have any photos of it?
Sadly, no. The house has since been..."standardized," but it was a hoot when he first built it, because everything about it was just very, unique, I guess. Not a big house by any means, like a cabin, but very unique.

It's not all potatoes and cheese anymore.
I love potatoes and cheese, on their own and together. I would give you stars for potatoes and cheese!

We're not even on the list :cry:

Trust me, Dutch food culture has become fine the past 20 years. We've not got 111 michelin starred restaurants for no reason. It's just a shame we're still this stigmatised. It's not all potatoes and cheese anymore.

One of my favourite recipes I do I call 'a potatoey, cheesy, creamy, oniony, garlicky thing'.
It's an absolute belt buster but v delicious.

I'm watching a documentary about the highway safety video industry, short films they used to show us when we were kids in school, very graphic, meant to scare the living sh!t out of us.

Wonder of wonders, the genre was created in my home state of Ohio, and just a couple of hours up the highway from me, in Mansfield.

Very interesting, and watching clips of these now, many of them I remember seeing when I was a kid.

I'm watching a documentary about the highway safety video industry, short films they used to show us when we were kids in school, very graphic, meant to scare the living sh!t out of us.

Wonder of wonders, the genre was created in my home state of Ohio, and just a couple of hours up the highway from me, in Mansfield.

Very interesting, and watching clips of these now, many of them I remember seeing when I was a kid.

We had Charley says.

Charley was a cat who just made some weird unintelligible noises which were translated by his human.

Charley had advice about crossing the road, playing with matches, talking to strangers, playing near water etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVOMK6YD6fw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom