The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruth Bader Ginsberg (SCOTUS) died today. She was really hoping to last until we had a new POTUS. I was, too. So, Trump is going to pick a new Justice, which will surely pander to Evangelicals, the wealthy and powerful, and white people.

But, in the short term, it's going to be pandemonium in Washington over who should select the new Justice. If you think the US couldn't be more divided, watch.

CD
I was so upset that she passed, what an amazing iconic woman. And yeah, now we get to watch the chitshow.

Happy breakthrough today:

Autistic stepson 2 (not the very ill one) has tried chilli brownies today, while he always refused any pepper or chilli and had a very limited diet. He loved it, and now wants to try a small portion of our dinner every night to see if he wants to eat with us. Hooray!

:hyper:

Autistic stepson 2 (not the very ill one) has tried chilli brownies today, while he always refused any pepper or chilli and had a very limited diet. He loved it, and now wants to try a small portion of our dinner every night to see if he wants to eat with us. Hooray!

That's fantastic! Maybe he will influence the other kid to try something new!

Rascal will like this. It is a DC10 fire plane dropping fire retardant over California. As you watch this, bear in mind that this plane is bigger than a 737 or A320. That pilot has some major cajones -- and skills.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QJTZXl_5BE

CD

Yip, I enjoyed it, I was watching CNN and fox, they were also showing the planes dropping retardant. The guys that fly over and through the hurricanes are mad, IMHO. Just one mistake?? Good night nurse. Thanks for that :)

Russ

Rascal will like this. It is a DC10 fire plane dropping fire retardant over California. As you watch this, bear in mind that this plane is bigger than a 737 or A320. That pilot has some major cajones -- and skills.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QJTZXl_5BE

CD

I had to look for more. These pilots fly wide-body jets like they are fighter jets.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPedHJNQNUM

Boeing 747????

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXYYi2R94Es

CD

Wow! That is wonderful. I hope he starts to like other tastes too.

Bravo!!!

Hovering around 30°C (13:00 hrs) but RH is 77%. The fan on the stoep is on setting 1.

Light rain is forecast for the afternoon but there's no sign of it yet.

People talk about Trump but one right wing party here in Portugal is proposing women who have abortions for non-medical reasons should have their ovaries removed :facepalm:

Almost makes Trump look like a nice guy...almost...

Last day of summer here I suspect. Wall to wall sunshine in Kent all day (25 C). i spent a happy hour topping up the tan in the garden (with a glass of Pinot Grigio). Its due to get much cooler tomorrow.

People talk about Trump but one right wing party here in Portugal is proposing women who have abortions for non-medical reasons should have their ovaries removed :facepalm:

We get those here, but usually supporters, not candidates.

A big issue right now is the falling birth rate of "traditional" (i.e. white) Americans. There are more people than I care to admit who've floated the idea of strongly coercing women to have kids, whether they want to or not.

Used to, those nitwits were stuck out on the extreme right websites and groups, but they're creeping more and more into the mainstream.

We get those here, but usually supporters, not candidates.

A big issue right now is the falling birth rate of "traditional" (i.e. white) Americans. There are more people than I care to admit who've floated the idea of strongly coercing women to have kids, whether they want to or not.

Used to, those nitwits were stuck out on the extreme right websites and groups, but they're creeping more and more into the mainstream.

Thankfully this party is relatively new (started in 2019) and hopefully won't last long. Our birth rates are also a misery, not because people don't want to have children but because they can't afford to have a large family. According to studies most portuguese women of reproductive age have one child but one child only. With our wages it's difficult for families to have more than one child and maintain a stable financial situation. And most families rely on grandparents to help taking care of children.

While I don't think we have full gender equality, I never felt like Portugal has a macho culture, and telling women what to do with their bodies is thankfully unusual.

It seems that tough times always cause an outbreak of right-wing nutters. Every country has them and one of the many things that disturbs me is when 'serious' politicians start giving them credence.

I'll give you an example. Turning Point UK is an offshoot of an American organisation. This lot are obsessed with so-called left-wing bias in academic institutions.

My historian friend has had some nasty messages from people associated with this group. She says she cares not a jot, but it must be disturbing. Yet these yobs get messages of support from the likes of Priti Patel (the Home Secretary, no less) and the ridiculous Jacob Rees-Mogg, two very senior Tories.

Deeply troubling.

In our country, there are politicians who think that even if the baby has known birth defects discovered early through amniocentesis that are going to cause miserable conditions for the child and it's family or even if the baby will likely die from these birth defects, they still don't want women to get abortions. Also those same politicians believe that pregnancies that occur from rape or incest should not be aborted, no matter how the mother feels about it. And there is a part of the population who feels the same way. It sickens me. And now Trump would LOVE to get a hard right wing conservative in the Supreme Court who will make it even harder for women in our country to deal with unwanted pregnancies. And they want to do away with the "morning after" pill as well.

I of course agree that abortion should not be used as a form of birth control, obviously that's a horrible idea. But so is bringing unwanted children into the world, especially in the cases of rape, incest, and severely debilitating birth defects. It's just going to lead to more "back alley" abortions that could result in infections and death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom