The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I her last year, Casey was afraid of a lot of things, especially loud noises. What made it worse that she was deaf in just one ear, so she couldn't tell where the noises were coming from.

CD
Kate was fairly deaf by the last couple of years, a setter trait. It was a bit of a blessing, because she hated fireworks and thunder, and the last couple of years...no problem.

She got fairly good at hand signals, actually. MrsT would be outside, yelling and yelling at her, and I'd say, "I don't know why you're yelling, she's deaf as a post."

Then I'd get her attention one way or the other, and start waving my hand for her to come back, and she come on over.

Her eyesight was great, right to the last. Even the vet couldn't believe how clear-eyed she was at her age.

We're just starting a minor kitchen remodel - basically, anything is suspect to change except the cabinets, floor, and appliances.

We've picked out paint, looked at tile for a backsplash, countertops, sinks/faucets, window blinds, and lighting. We have someone coming out next week to measure for blinds, and I'll be painting three doors (same color) and replacing doorknobs shortly as well.

MrsT looked at the countertop this morning and said that it's too stained, it must be replaced. I just spent a solid hour going over it with hot, soapy water, scrubbing it with baking soda, and giving it a vinegar polish.

I asked her to take a look and to reconsider replacing it. Her response was:

"Holy crap! That looks brand new!"

Money, saved. 😎

What's it made of? Can we see a photo?
Sure. It's nothing special, probably close to the cheapest countertop the builder could find:

It's basic laminate, not granite or marble or anything like that.

We're just starting a minor kitchen remodel - basically, anything is suspect to change except the cabinets, floor, and appliances.

We've picked out paint, looked at tile for a backsplash, countertops, sinks/faucets, window blinds, and lighting. We have someone coming out next week to measure for blinds, and I'll be painting three doors (same color) and replacing doorknobs shortly as well.

MrsT looked at the countertop this morning and said that it's too stained, it must be replaced. I just spent a solid hour going over it with hot, soapy water, scrubbing it with baking soda, and giving it a vinegar polish.

I asked her to take a look and to reconsider replacing it. Her response was:

"Holy crap! That looks brand new!"

Money, saved. 😎

Snap on repairs to kitchen. Builder here now extending the access between lounge and kitchen. Opening it by another .800 mm. (2 1/2ft) will make a big difference with room and kids traffic.,quoted $1k for 2 days work. That will be final work then last bit of carpet in the lounge can go down, then we're done. $14k in a month.

Russ

Snap on repairs to kitchen. Builder here now extending the access between lounge and kitchen. Opening it by another .800 mm. (2 1/2ft) will make a big difference with room and kids traffic.,quoted $1k for 2 days work. That will be final work then last bit of carpet in the lounge can go down, then we're done. $14k in a month.

Russ
That'll be next. We're starting in the kitchen, but we'll also replace all the carpet in the house, repaint most of the walls, and get some new furniture.

Bitter here, and now calling for a bit of snow Sunday and into Monday...forecasts range from 2 inches, up to feet of snow. WONDERFUL. Glad I've got me some food projects and car tinkering to keep occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom