The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. I'm 53 and pursuing yet another diploma/degree (two vocational diplomas in horticulture, BTech in environmental planning and three halted master's degree studies in different fields - one lacking just the thesis) but a reasonably comprehensive education/training and lifelong learning is habitual in Finland - especially in these times when there's harsh, global rivalry in the business/design sector and there are no longer many so-called pension posts with jobs or positions that last for one's whole career life.

I spent years as a housewife, studied this and that and played with minor investments in real estate. Then I fell ill with RA - two weeks after gaining my second diploma in gardening (which I loved but which would've required daily walking in sloped terrains and doing hands-on work). I hadn't acquired any notable work experience in other fields so I studied another four years to gain worktop-based design skills. I couldn't find a job/enough customers in environmental planning and garden design. Apparently people tend to focus on their houses and interiors, as (at least in Finland) garden design is about getting a full scale garden plan for free from the nearest neighbo(u)r or the local garden shop/plant nursery (or for the price of coffee from a professional) during a period of two weeks in April-May.

As the kids left the nest, I felt like an aching loser fit for nothing. Now I keep myself astir/stimulated by broadening my know-how and software skills; the current baccalaureat/bachelor's thesis is about wood veneers in interior and furniture design <yawn>. The undergraduate thesis is not about erudition, academic research, knowledge or writing skills (away from me); I just have to model hundreds of pics of different veneer surfaces in different surroundings and write some general facts and background information. The current design software/programs are relatively easy to use; you just have to learn the basic commands to get yourself going. It's quite fun, really, if you like to fit nice things, colors and pieces of furniture together. However, it's time consuming too: I might sit up and take notice that it's 3:30 am before I hit the sack. There are several distressing issues going on in the family as well. That's why I don't have enough strength or motivation to cook at the moment.
Sorry about your distressing issues with family. I hope things get better for you soon.

I think it's great you are a lifelong student. Your studies sound fascinating. I try to learn something new every day.

Last edited:
My sister is an emotional eater, I was an emotional drinker, until my liver waved the white flag.

My sister has a stash of sugar free chocolates. I ate some before I read the label. They were really good. Hersheys.

CD
I've tried that, we actually we have some generic brands here in Portugal that make really good sugar free chocolate. And I've made my own ice cream at home with less sugar too. But they don't taste like my favorite chocolate or my favorite ice cream, both loaded with sugar. And I do emotionally eat regular food too, like having food in the house but deciding for take away because I'm stressed out as hell with work.

I don't want to quit sugar or take away, I just need to learn how to enjoy them sensibly. I was in a good path until I dropped weight and started feeling about my body again.

Reactions: mjd
Have you ever seen the show "Rosemary and Thyme"? You might like it. It's set in England and the two female friends run a gardening business and always end up in some mystery they have to solve. It's quite funny and I love mysteries. And, they are ALWAYS telling rich people their gardens can be improved. ;-)

I am a huge Hercule Poirot fan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tedMQmBsf3M
. :laugh:

And, Murder on the Orient Express...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQRVJF4u-GE

CD

Last edited:
I've tried that, we actually we have some generic brands here in Portugal that make really good sugar free chocolate. And I've made my own ice cream at home with less sugar too. But they don't taste like my favorite chocolate or my favorite ice cream, both loaded with sugar. And I do emotionally eat regular food too, like having food in the house but deciding for take away because I'm stressed out as hell with work.

I don't want to quit sugar or take away, I just need to learn how to enjoy them sensibly. I was in a good path until I dropped weight and started feeling about my body again.

There is an old saying you need to embrace. "Don't take life too seriously, it is not permanent."

CD

There is an old saying you need to embrace. "Don't take life too seriously, it is not permanent."

CD
I've always said that when I'm old I will eat whatever I want and that will include lots of chocolate and ice cream because if I'm dying I'd rather die happy. Until then I'll try to be healthy enough to have a good quality life😂

That's why I don't have enough strength or motivation to cook at the moment.

:ohmy: I'm a bit in the same boat, mainly because I'm too busy with others of late. I'm in a 'support bubble' with my friend who is staying here and my partner who has dementia. Unfortunately (in a way) the friend is rather demanding on my time. I used to be cooking, photographing every day and posting new recipes several times a week. I'm still cooking but not so much in an innovative way.

I'm sure things will settle eventually - I hope they do for you too.

Recommended by whom? I worked at a Chamber of Commerce at one point in my career and got to know some of the local business owners quite well.
Neighbors, another landscaper who'd retired, strangers I'd ask...seemed like everybody I talked to.

Part of the problem was that my job was a relatively small job, so it didn't get a lot of attention, both during planning and install, and the other problrm was the project manager turned out to be a pathological liar. He no longer works there (not directly because of anything we said, though). :laugh:

Have you ever seen the show "Rosemary and Thyme"?
Ahhhh, Felicity Kendal... 💗

Neighbors, another landscaper who'd retired, strangers I'd ask...seemed like everybody I talked to.

Part of the problem was that my job was a relatively small job, so it didn't get a lot of attention, both during planning and install, and the other problrm was the project manager turned out to be a pathological liar. He no longer works there (not directly because of anything we said, though). :laugh:

Ahhhh, Felicity Kendal... 💗

Ah, I see. Sorry those recommendations didn't work out for you. It's a good sign that guy was dismissed.

I'm beginning to wonder if you love almost ALL females, TastyReuben. LOL

I love women. I'd rather hang around with a bunch of women than a bunch of guys, that's for sure. :)
I have a neighbor who checks on me because he knows about my health problems. Sometimes I go to his apartment so he can keep an eye on me. He has a chair next to his window, an end table in between and the sofa next to that. One day a male friend of his stopped by and sat on his couch on the end by the table. He freaked out!! I asked him what was wrong with him and he said "You're a beautiful woman so you can sit there. Nobody with a ***** can sit that close to me!!!" In his mind, that made perfect sense. LOL

I have a neighbor who checks on me because he knows about my health problems. Sometimes I go to his apartment so he can keep an eye on me. He has a chair next to his window, an end table in between and the sofa next to that. One day a male friend of his stopped by and sat on his couch on the end by the table. He freaked out!! I asked him what was wrong with him and he said "You're a beautiful woman so you can sit there. Nobody with a ***** can sit that close to me!!!" In his mind, that made perfect sense. LOL
I'm not that bad, but that made me laugh. That guy's got some issues to work out. :laugh:

Seriously, I think for me, it's rooted in appreciating differences. I like women in the same way I like talking to people from other countries, because I like the cultural differences.

I hope this doesn't sound sexist, but men and women (at least in my experience) were (are?) raised differently, so again, it's appreciating those differences.

I'll also say, for whatever reason, I've worked for as many women as I have men in my professional life, and I've almost always preferred working for the former. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: mjd
Funny we're having this conversation, I just watched a really amusing Ted talk with John Gray, author of Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus, according to science our brains really are different!

Okay, so it is 72F right now, or 22C. Yes, I am not playing games with you. It was zero degrees a few days ago, the power was out 50-percent of the time, and there was five inches of snow on the ground. That's Texas. We've had our one week of winter, and it was a whopper of a week, and now it is springtime.

CD

Funny we're having this conversation, I just watched a really amusing Ted talk with John Gray, author of Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus, according to science our brains really are different!

There is a comedian named Rob Becker who did a broadway show called "Defending the Caveman." My ex wife and I saw him live when he brought the show to Dallas. We laughed our a$$es off. Men are hunters, women are gatherers. Men go to a clothing store to hunt down a piece of clothing that they need, women go to a clothing store to gather things that they like. That was me and my wife, and we were both cool with it after watching Rob Becker talk about it. I was a hunter, she was a gatherer. That's just how we were wired.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KU8jMiPn3c

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom