The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find a job/enough customers in environmental planning and garden design.
I'd hire you if we lived near one another! I'm dying to have one of those cottage gardens that look totally random but are actually highly-planned. No one here in my area does that.

We hired a landscaper a few years ago - it was a horrible, horrible experience, and the only way to fix it is to hire another landscaper, but now I'm really hesitant to do so, as we hired the most highly-recommended one in our area, and they completely messed it up.

Our second house in the UK - not only did I love the house for itself, but the owner had the back garden planned perfectly, where something was always in color, all year round, and they also had a gardener come out and tend to it, which was nice. I'd love to have something like that here.

I couldn't find a job/enough customers in environmental planning and garden design. Apparently people tend to focus on their houses and interiors, as (at least in Finland) garden design is about getting a full scale garden plan for free from the nearest neighbo(u)r or the local garden shop/plant nursery (or for the price of coffee from a professional) during a period of two weeks in April-May.
You must travel back in time to Jane Austen's era, when landscape architects were making good money telling rich people their gardens had capability for improvement, convincing them to tear down said gardens and redo them under their supervision 😄

Well now, Mother Nature gave us a big ole Texas a$$ kicking, just to remind us who the boss is. It may defy the laws of physics, but it is actually is possible for three days to last three months. The snow is all gone -- really. My dog is confused, there is actually grass in the backyard.

I couldn't write a fictional story that could match the last few days.

CD

I need to start a diet, definitely.
I have gained weight which it starts to become an every day thought and it’s the last of the thoughts I would have. I have fought vs weight problem (more menthal) many years ago, it has been a nightmare, I don’t want to give to this a chance to catch completely my mind again.
I can’t go out for a run as I was used to do (or better, I don’t want to go out for a run because if I fall on the ground or else, hospitals have something more important to cope with in this moment); I can’t go to swim since swimming pool is closed (more than right), my daily workout doesn’t work very much.... and I am eating too much.
I won’t do a strong diet but surely I have to cut down carbs, chocolate (damn!), snacks...
I wanted to make flyinglentris chocolate bar though before Monday and other recipes I have on my list...I foresee to lunch every half an hour within Monday :laugh:

Do what you can. When I was in college, I swam 20 laps of an olympic size swimming pool every day, because it was free to me to use. I also had a meal card at the dorm, and ate like I was starving. I had, maybe, two percent body fat.

I miss those days. All we can do is try to stay at least healthy. Eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. No more than that. Let your body tell you how much you need, not your mind.

CD

I'd hire you if we lived near one another! I'm dying to have one of those cottage gardens that look totally random but are actually highly-planned. No one here in my area does that.

We hired a landscaper a few years ago - it was a horrible, horrible experience, and the only way to fix it is to hire another landscaper, but now I'm really hesitant to do so, as we hired the most highly-recommended one in our area, and they completely messed it up.

Our second house in the UK - not only did I love the house for itself, but the owner had the back garden planned perfectly, where something was always in color, all year round, and they also had a gardener come out and tend to it, which was nice. I'd love to have something like that here.
Recommended by whom? I worked at a Chamber of Commerce at one point in my career and got to know some of the local business owners quite well. It was basically a clique of snobs that gave recommendations for one another to stay in the group. After that, I learned to NEVER hire anyone based on a Chamber and/or BBB.

When I had a house, I would go knock on neighbor's doors and ask them who they used to do their roof, garden, remodels, etc.. I admit it sounds very forward but most of them didn't mind sharing their good and bad experiences with me. Of course, it helps to have your neighborhood look nice so you want your neighbors to have good services too.

Do what you can. When I was in college, I swam 20 laps of an olympic size swimming pool every day, because it was free to me to use. I also had a meal card at the dorm, and ate like I was starving. I had, maybe, two percent body fat.

I miss those days. All we can do is try to stay at least healthy. Eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. No more than that. Let your body tell you how much you need, not your mind.

CD
Knowing when the body is hungry can be tricky. I am an emotional eater and I've learned to distinguish that when I feel hunger in my mouth, it's emotional hunger, when it's in my stomach it's "proper" hunger. When I'm emotionally hungry I can't stop thinking about a certain food (usually sweets), with physical hunger I start feeling weak and unable to focus.

You must travel back in time to Jane Austen's era, when landscape architects were making good money telling rich people their gardens had capability for improvement, convincing them to tear down said gardens and redo them under their supervision 😄
Have you ever seen the show "Rosemary and Thyme"? You might like it. It's set in England and the two female friends run a gardening business and always end up in some mystery they have to solve. It's quite funny and I love mysteries. And, they are ALWAYS telling rich people their gardens can be improved. ;-)

Have you ever seen the show "Rosemary and Thyme"? You might like it. It's set in England and the two female friends run a gardening business and always end up in some mystery they have to solve. It's quite funny and I love mysteries. And, they are ALWAYS telling rich people their gardens can be improved. ;-)
Guess what, Rosemary and Thyme is on FOX Crime here in Portugal and I've looked at it but never watched it, I think I will try it later today when I paint my nails 😄😄😄

I love my yard, although it is way far from an English Cottage Garden. All of my plantings are native to North Texas, so I really don't have to do much to maintain them. I like the way they look -- they look like they belong here.

You have a huge yard. There is no way you can landscape the whole thing, unless you win the lottery. Pick an area, and grow yourself a personal garden. You don't have to live in the UK, lots of things grow in Ohio.

CD

CD

I miss running and especially swimming. If I could, I would swim in a puddle.
I used to swim 20 laps in the pool 20 years ago, now maybe 10. But they're done well, :laugh:.

You're right, I have to get out of this entropy and get back to wake up my body and above all my mind (it's the main director, dammit) and not give in to boredom by eating because of it.
It's not that easy but I have to impose myself

Knowing when the body is hungry can be tricky. I am an emotional eater and I've learned to distinguish that when I feel hunger in my mouth, it's emotional hunger, when it's in my stomach it's "proper" hunger. When I'm emotionally hungry I can't stop thinking about a certain food (usually sweets), with physical hunger I start feeling weak and unable to focus.
It can be tricky to differentiate. Fortunately, the body is very good about telling us what it needs. We just have to pay attention to those messages. I think it's easier for men to lose weight because women usually have more cortisol. It's also important to pay attention to thirst. Water is very important to keep the body hydrated.

A few of us are working on lifestyle changes if you want to join us. No pressure. ;-)
Lifestyle changes

My sister is an emotional eater, I was an emotional drinker, until my liver waved the white flag.

My sister has a stash of sugar free chocolates. I ate some before I read the label. They were really good. Hersheys.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom