The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
caseydog how are you doing there? Some of my colleagues in Texas have been out of water and electricity :(

The electricity has been back on for over 24 hours at my house. Water has never been an issue in my city. Some cities have lost their water treatment facilities, so even if they have water, they are being told to boil it before drinking it, just to be sure it is safe. No problems in Frisco.

Houston has had it worse than anywhere in Texas. That's just Houston being Houston. The forth largest city in the US, and low taxes with the associated low services. It didn't get as cold there as it did here, but everything went bust down there. In a few months, they will probably have another flood, because they haven't done anything meaningful in the way of flood control since Hurricane Harvey in 2017. My parents want me to move down there to be closer to them. No %$#$%@*& way!

CD

Last edited:
The electricity has been back on for over 24 hours at my house. Water has never been an issue in my city. Some cities have lost their water treatment facilities, so even if they have water, they are being told to boil it before drinking it, just to be sure it is safe. No problems in Frisco.

Houston has had it worse than anywhere in Texas. That's just Houston being Houston. The forth largest city in the US, and low taxes with the associated low services. It didn't get as cold there as it did here, but everything went bust down there. In a few months, they will probably have another flood, because they haven't done anything meaningful in the way of food control since Hurricane Harvey in 2017. My parents want me to move down there to be closer to them. No %$#$%@*& way!

CD
Glad you're doing well. All my colleagues who are struggling are based in Austin now that I think of it.

According to the local news, we've had 27 inches of snow over the past two weeks, making this the second snowiest February for us in history.

Temps are expected to dip down to 0F overnight, then a climb back to warmer temps. By the end of the week, we should be in the mid/high 40'sF.

I need to start a diet, definitely.
I have gained weight which it starts to become an every day thought and it’s the last of the thoughts I would have. I have fought vs weight problem (more menthal) many years ago, it has been a nightmare, I don’t want to give to this a chance to catch completely my mind again.
I can’t go out for a run as I was used to do (or better, I don’t want to go out for a run because if I fall on the ground or else, hospitals have something more important to cope with in this moment); I can’t go to swim since swimming pool is closed (more than right), my daily workout doesn’t work very much.... and I am eating too much.
I won’t do a strong diet but surely I have to cut down carbs, chocolate (damn!), snacks...
I wanted to make flyinglentris chocolate bar though before Monday and other recipes I have on my list...I foresee to lunch every half an hour within Monday :laugh:

Last edited:
I need to start a diet, definitely.
I have gained weight which is starts to become an every day thought and it’s the last if the thought I would have. I have fought with weight problem many years ago, it has been a nightmare, I don’t want to give to this a chance to caught completely my mind again.
I can’t go out for a run as I was used to do (or better, I don’t want to go out for a run because if I fall on the ground or else, hospitals have something more important to cope with in this moment); I can’t go to swim since swimming pool is closed (more than right), my daily workout doesn’t work very much.... and I am eating too much.
I won’t do a strong diet but surely I have to cut down carbs, chocolate (damn!), snacks...
I wanted to make flyinglentris chocolate bar though before Monday and other recipes I have on my list...I foresee to lunch every half an hour within Monday :laugh:
I'll do it with you if you want. I've gained 50 pounds since the lockdowns and my arthritis and COVID prevent me from walking/running. I don't overeat. I think it was caused by a medication my doctor had me on (I've weaned myself off it). I don't have any exercise equipment (all that was taken by my ex) so I just have bands now. I do have some workout videos.

I'm trying to plan weekly menus (thanks to suggestions from some of our wonderful members). That's been hard because I typically don't know what I have a taste for until the moment I'm hungry. LOL I have to get on the ball.

I'll do it with you if you want. I've gained 50 pounds since the lockdowns and my arthritis and COVID prevent me from walking/running. I don't overeat. I think it was caused by a medication my doctor had me on (I've weaned myself off it). I don't have any exercise equipment (all that was taken by my ex) so I just have bands now. I do have some workout videos.

I'm trying to plan weekly menus (thanks to suggestions from some of our wonderful members). That's been hard because I typically don't know what I have a taste for until the moment I'm hungry. LOL I have to get on the ball.

:hug:Yes doing this together would help!

The main thing is that this second lockdown seems more hard than the first one. In normal conditions, I have a balanced weekly menu and if I eat a bit too much, it’s not a big problem since I have run and/or swim that help me, and so my work as well. The habit to catch the train to get work, walking/running to get metro, having things to do, locations to visit (I really wear Adidas most of the time because I really have to walk a lot through the sets/locations) surely helped too. But now I am not doing this. Mostly working from home, a workout every now and then and the fridge/cupboard at hand.. a piece of chocolate becomes two, three pieces of chocolate, and so for bread, focaccia, snacks in general. And pasta almost everyday, if it’s not pasta it’s potatoes or rice. It’s going out of my hands.

:hug:Yes doing this together would help!

The main thing is that this second lockdown seems more hard than the first one. In normal conditions, I have a balanced weekly menu and if I eat a bit too much, it’s not a big problem since I have run and/or swim that help me, and so my work as well. The habit to catch the train to get work, walking/running to get metro, having things to do, locations to visit (I really wear Adidas most of the time because I really have to walk a lot through the sets/locations) surely helped too. But now I am not doing this. Mostly working from home, a workout every now and then and the fridge/cupboard at hand.. a piece of chocolate becomes two, three pieces of chocolate, and so for bread, focaccia, snacks in general. And pasta almost everyday, if it’s not pasta it’s potatoes or rice. It’s going out of my hands.
Sure. When do you want to start? Lullabelle and I were talking about doing something starting March. That discussion is here: Dry January

I completely understand your plight. Many of us are "out of our routine" because of the lockdowns and such. It's amazing how much exercise we really get just going about our daily lives and how much it slows down when that changes. My biggest barrier is chronic pain. Some days it takes all I have just to shower and get dressed. Fortunately, I have a caregiver with me M-F so I have some help. I refuse narcotic pain meds but that means I'm just TKO'd ("down for the count" as in boxing ;-) when it's a high pain day. Regardless, I have to do something before I go stark raving mad! LOL

Let me know when and where you want to start and I'll be there with you. We can do this! ;-) :hug:

I have the opposite issue, I mysteriously lost about 6kgs. I made small changes to my diet (I quit bread and stopped eating eggs on toast for breakfast), but I'm not sure if they are enough to account for this change.

I have been too thin most of my life, and I really hated my skinny body. Now that my clothes don't fit me again, once again I feel like I am too thin. I'm trying to figure out how I can gain healthily by building muscle, which will take a bit of time, but apparently stuffing myself on ice cream and chocolate is not the best way to gain weight (aaand, I've tried it for a while, and it wasn't working anyway).

I have the opposite issue, I mysteriously lost about 6kgs. I made small changes to my diet (I quit bread and stopped eating eggs on toast for breakfast), but I'm not sure if they are enough to account for this change.

I have been too thin most of my life, and I really hated my skinny body. Now that my clothes don't fit me again, once again I feel like I am too thin. I'm trying to figure out how I can gain healthily by building muscle, which will take a bit of time, but apparently stuffing myself on ice cream and chocolate is not the best way to gain weight (aaand, I've tried it for a while, and it wasn't working anyway).

You ladies and my wife worry about your weight too much.

Russ

You ladies and my wife worry about your weight too much.

Russ
I compensate for them on here. After yoyo dieting for most of my life I finally stopped it two years ago because I didn't want to suffer from my eating disorder anymore. Not dieting is the only way I don't binge eat. And yes, that means I will stay fat.
But mental health is valuable too and losing weight is not always as simple as calories in, calories out.

I explained most of it in other threads, but I also suffer from trauma because my parents starved me as a child. Since then, losing weight always triggers my PTSD as it mimics the feelings of starvation. That does not help at all. I lost more than my body weight over the years, but also gained it all back with a bonus. Sometimes you just can't win.. At least now my weight is stable.

Last edited:
Sure. When do you want to start? Lullabelle and I were talking about doing something starting March. That discussion is here: Dry January

I completely understand your plight. Many of us are "out of our routine" because of the lockdowns and such. It's amazing how much exercise we really get just going about our daily lives and how much it slows down when that changes. My biggest barrier is chronic pain. Some days it takes all I have just to shower and get dressed. Fortunately, I have a caregiver with me M-F so I have some help. I refuse narcotic pain meds but that means I'm just TKO'd ("down for the count" as in boxing ;-) when it's a high pain day. Regardless, I have to do something before I go stark raving mad! LOL

Let me know when and where you want to start and I'll be there with you. We can do this! ;-) :hug:

You are such a sweet Lady 🌸
I am glad your caregiver helps you!

I was thinking to start on next Monday, my mind is focusing too much on weight so I think is better for me to start soon...
My goal is to forget snacks/chocolate/too much carbs in non-conventional hours especially in the evenings when is normally more difficult to dispose of sugars (simple and complex ones).
I would lose at least 6/7 kg within the end of March.
However, I’m going to see the Dry January thread now 👍🏻😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom