The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The phrase "full of beans" seems to have a bit more agreement in terms of its origins. Most sources I've seen ascribe it to the practice of feeding beans to horses, which apparently made them lively. So there's no real negative connotation to it.

The UK's Culture Secretary is a man called Oliver Dowden. Like the vast majority of current government ministers, Oliver is not very bright. His latest "brainwave" is that the TV drama, The Crown, should have clear informational that it is fictional.

Drama. D-r-a-m-a. What, precisely, do you not comprehend in the definition of the word "drama," Oliver? Never mind, we could move this a few stages forward and I have some ideas.

Perhaps new editions of, say, Barnaby Rudge, could have large labels attached saying, "This book does not represent a genuine historical account of the Gordon Riots." Or curators could slap a large notice on The Last Supper with the words, "This painting is not a verified depiction of real-life events."

Honestly...

The UK's Culture Secretary is a man called Oliver Dowden. Like the vast majority of current government ministers, Oliver is not very bright. His latest "brainwave" is that the TV drama, The Crown, should have clear informational that it is fictional.

Drama. D-r-a-m-a. What, precisely, do you not comprehend in the definition of the word "drama," Oliver? Never mind, we could move this a few stages forward and I have some ideas.

Perhaps new editions of, say, Barnaby Rudge, could have large labels attached saying, "This book does not represent a genuine historical account of the Gordon Riots." Or curators could slap a large notice on The Last Supper with the words, "This painting is not a verified depiction of real-life events."

Honestly...

I wonder what he would think of The Flintstones? This is not an accurate representation of Stone Age families. After all, they are "a page right out of history."

Unknown-3.jpeg

CD

I wonder what he would think of The Flintstones? This is not an accurate representation of Stone Age families. After all, they are "a page right out of history."

View attachment 60451

CD
Well, Fred and I have one thing in common...we're frequently found in a necktie, but pantless and barefoot. 😎

I have no idea what's happening in my neighborhood, but it's the second time a neighbor from one of the buildings right next to us decides to go out on his backyard and yell madly at someone, with swear words and all. A couple weeks ago it seemed like he cleaned the bathroom but someone went and used the bathroom after and they were expecting guests and there was also something about a towel left on the living room floor ?! Today he was demanding someone pay him his money back. Another one is my new upstairs neighbor, every time her mom comes by they're arguing. The neighbor next door to me is also always arguing with her son when the son comes here, which thankfully doesn't happen often. I don't remember ever living in a place where the neighbors were so troublesome.

Soooo, my mom found yet another way to p1$$ me off. The only reason I drove to Houston this weekend instead of flying is because she has always insisted that I bring my dog -- that she loves way more than me. I get here, and she tells me I should leave my dog at my sister's house, because their new dog doesn't like other dogs.

Okay, the two dogs have met before, and yes, her dog is mean. But, it is a ten pound dog, and my dog is nicknamed "psycho poodle." She is afraid her dog will bite my dog, so I told her, "She will only bite him once." Nuff said.

Bottom line? I will be flying to Houston in the future, and getting a rental car at the Houston airport. My dog will stay with his dog sitter, whom he loves more than me. I can fly there for free, thanks to my ridiculous number of frequent flyer miles, and the rental car will cost the same as the one I rent to drive to Houston. So, everybody is happy.

BTW, I reserved a full-size pickup truck from Hertz in Frisco three weeks ago. That is always a craps shoot, and they once again did not have my truck. They always offer me something else, which is usually a tiny economy car with a couple of squirrels under the hood (bonnet). This time, all they had was a cargo van. Seriously? While I was there, a guy returned an Infinity SUV. Those are very nice. I asked for that. the nimrod at Hertz said I couldn't have it, because someone else may need it. I wanted to beat that nimrod to a pulp.

So, I took another UBER ride to Enterprise rental (I have an account with virtually every car rental company because of my business travel). Enterprise is always more expensive, but they usually have what I want, and their cars are nice. So, almost a thousand dollars later, I have a nice Ford F150 crew cab. Three hundred of that is a deposit I'll get back in about a month (another thing I don't like about Enterprise).

So, I spent over 600 bucks just so I could bing my dog down to Houston, only to find out I should have left him with my dog sitter, and flown down -- for less money.

GRRRRRR!!!

CD

I have no idea what's happening in my neighborhood, but it's the second time a neighbor from one of the buildings right next to us decides to go out on his backyard and yell madly at someone, with swear words and all. A couple weeks ago it seemed like he cleaned the bathroom but someone went and used the bathroom after and they were expecting guests and there was also something about a towel left on the living room floor ?! Today he was demanding someone pay him his money back. Another one is my new upstairs neighbor, every time her mom comes by they're arguing. The neighbor next door to me is also always arguing with her son when the son comes here, which thankfully doesn't happen often. I don't remember ever living in a place where the neighbors were so troublesome.

I think the need to isolate is getting on everyone's nerves.

Soooo, my mom found yet another way to p1$$ me off. The only reason I drove to Houston this weekend instead of flying is because she has always insisted that I bring my dog -- that she loves way more than me. I get here, and she tells me I should leave my dog at my sister's house, because their new dog doesn't like other dogs.

Okay, the two dogs have met before, and yes, her dog is mean. But, it is a ten pound dog, and my dog is nicknamed "psycho poodle." She is afraid her dog will bite my dog, so I told her, "She will only bite him once." Nuff said.

Bottom line? I will be flying to Houston in the future, and getting a rental car at the Houston airport. My dog will stay with his dog sitter, whom he loves more than me. I can fly there for free, thanks to my ridiculous number of frequent flyer miles, and the rental car will cost the same as the one I rent to drive to Houston. So, everybody is happy.

BTW, I reserved a full-size pickup truck from Hertz in Frisco three weeks ago. That is always a craps shoot, and they once again did not have my truck. They always offer me something else, which is usually a tiny economy car with a couple of squirrels under the hood (bonnet). This time, all they had was a cargo van. Seriously? While I was there, a guy returned an Infinity SUV. Those are very nice. I asked for that. the nimrod at Hertz said I couldn't have it, because someone else may need it. I wanted to beat that nimrod to a pulp.

So, I took another UBER ride to Enterprise rental (I have an account with virtually every car rental company because of my business travel). Enterprise is always more expensive, but they usually have what I want, and their cars are nice. So, almost a thousand dollars later, I have a nice Ford F150 crew cab. Three hundred of that is a deposit I'll get back in about a month (another thing I don't like about Enterprise).

So, I spent over 600 bucks just so I could bing my dog down to Houston, only to find out I should have left him with my dog sitter, and flown down -- for less money.

GRRRRRR!!!

CD

I love the f150s, ads on tv are pushing the gmc trucks, I'm getting one after lotto.

Russ

I love the f150s, ads on tv are pushing the gmc trucks, I'm getting one after lotto.

Russ

Chevy/GMC trucks are more comfortable. I've rented Chevy, RAM and Ford trucks, and the Ford I have this weekend has the worst seats. Granted, the RAM I had in January was top-of-the-line, and probably cost close to double what this Ford cost. A Ford King Ranch would be a more appropriate comparison to that RAM. I've owned a half dozen Chevy trucks back when I owned boats.

CD

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it one way or another.🌼🍀🌼
May Hope always come easy to us...

I was woken up by the wind on my windows before 5 am...and was hungry, so made coffee...had a boiled egg...will read a bit...

I chose to sit by the window and thought, ok, still dark, no one is going to be out there...and then I saw a young lady carrying an Easter basket...oh ok...she must be catching a bus or alike...

and then another older one, and two more...googled the local church has a 6 am Mass...now I get it. Nice tradition.

There are seven Masses today so it seems...👍, No, six, sorry, miscounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom