The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SatNavSaysStraightOn they make styptic powder/pencils for just that reason. When I cut the pug's nails, envariably I get at least 1 bleeder because pugs HATE having their nails done and fight the process.
That's what I've used in the past, the powder. After I cut one too close the first time, I bought a nail grinder, which is much safer, but much slower, so I finally just left it with the groomer. The vet has a groomer on-site, and the dog went in for one thing or another four or five times a year, and I just had it done then, or when she was kenneled (the kennel also had a groomer).

You can get an attachment for a Dremmel drill to grind nails safely. I tried that, but our older pugs totally freaked and it got lost somewhere along the way so I never tried it with the 2 we have now.

I don't have anybody else do the pug's nails unless they are under anesthetic for whatever reason because of the fighting and both of the little black boys we had would/will try to bite. The first 1 I knew why. Somebody cut them WAY too short, he just had tiny little nubbins when we first got him and I know they hurt him badly. The pug boy we have now I have no idea why because they've never been cut too short. But I think it's just a pug thing overall because our girls didn't/don't like it either, they just weren't as bad as the 2 boys. Well, except for 1 girl because she loved to get her nails done and painted. She was a very pretty pug and she knew it and would flirt shamelessly with human men. Right after she would get her nails painted she would trot around and throw her feet out so daddy would notice her freshly painted nails. Her name was Circe and boy did she live up to it.

When we took our friend's half malamute, half golden retriever because he got transferred and wasn't sure what his living situation was going to be, first time I took her to vet the tech went to cut her nails and i thought she was going to take his hand off. She was a big girl, better part of 90 pounds. I could have killed jim for not warning me about that. She was the most friendly and happy go lucky dog we've ever had, but lordy don't try to cut her nails. It took me and craig both to cut her nails, him to calm her down with pets and talking to, as well as hold her head if necessary while I cut her nails.

Last edited:
SatNavSaysStraightOn they make styptic powder/pencils for just that reason. When I cut the pug's nails, envariably I get at least 1 bleeder because pugs HATE having their nails done and fight the process.

Psycho poodle has black nails. You can't see the quick. I don't even try to cut them. The groomers use a grinder on them, which makes them rounded off. They don't scratch like cut nails do. Of course, that costs an extra 15 bucks.

CD

Normally I do the cutting. It's usually a 2 person job with chickens to do anything with them which is why we trained all of our girls to lie on their backs and be at ease. It makes life easier when wrestling a 4kg chicken. Their breed is a dual purpose bird, so both meat and egg layer. With where we live being so windy and so cold, the smaller less feathered birds don't fair as well in winter or in the driving rain...

We've tried angle grinders, dremel tools, grinders, even my battery USB foot file, all sorts and they were great with our roosters for cutting spurs. But they all lack one thing. Portability for somewhere without electricity... except for the USB foot file. So the toenail clippers have become the easiest, least noisy and fastest approach. He just simply cut too much off, period. I could tell just by looking at them. And because it didn't bleed, because she was calm, and because she didn't object or pull away, or squawk etc and most importantly her leg was above the height of her body, he thought he could cut off more with each cut. He was just too confident, overconfident.

Chooks general freak out over everything. And over nothing at all... any unknown noise, any unknown vibration etc. one can get the whole flock squawking and running for cover just by doing nothing, literally. Then she'll realise she has been left behind by the flock, squawk, flap her wings to help her run for cover or to catch up and because one chook made a noise and ran using their wings, they all have to. Except for the top chook who ignores most things. She's an old girl at 8-9 years old and runs for no one anymore.

No excuses, he simply cut too much off and she didn't complain, go figure. He's learnt his lesson. Don't think she's has...

And with the chooks being mine, I've always done everything with them. He just held and watched in the past. I guess I just made it look too easy. I haven't dare mention that the ends are at the wrong angle... they needed to be flat to the ground, they are not even 90° to it, but well over that, so they won't wear down by themselves... that can wait until I'm back on my feet and mobile again.

Finished at long last.

Jogg was nice, I could feel the lack of sufficient walk or run the past previous days, but precisely that's why it was precious to jogg today.:headphone:
Temperature in the evening dropped, was around 8-9C, windy, but quite all right.
Despite being overshadowed with the sad texting around my byofriend's friends' Dad death, it was a very nice improvement today that bf felt a bit more stabile with the neck pain, he worked 3 hours and drove by, so we had a nice little drive around the city.
It was so nice for the both of us to meet.😊

His doc had told him the condition will worsen as the op gets closer. He is scheduled for May 5th. That was the closest he could get.

But then, it will get better. We hope.

You can get an attachment for a Dremmel drill to grind nails safely. I tried that, but our older pugs totally freaked and it got lost somewhere along the way so I never tried it with the 2 we have now.

I don't have anybody else do the pug's nails unless they are under anesthetic for whatever reason because of the fighting and both of the little black boys we had would/will try to bite. The first 1 I knew why. Somebody cut them WAY too short, he just had tiny little nubbins when we first got him and I know they hurt him badly. The pug boy we have now I have no idea why because they've never been cut too short. But I think it's just a pug thing overall because our girls didn't/don't like it either, they just weren't as bad as the 2 boys. Well, except for 1 girl because she loved to get her nails done and painted. She was a very pretty pug and she knew it and would flirt shamelessly with human men. Right after she would get her nails painted she would trot around and throw her feet out so daddy would notice her freshly painted nails. Her name was Circe and boy did she live up to it.

When we took our friend's half malamute, half golden retriever because he got transferred and wasn't sure what his living situation was going to be, first time I took her to vet the tech went to cut her nails and i thought she was going to take his hand off. She was a big girl, better part of 90 pounds. I could have killed jim for not warning me about that. She was the most friendly and happy go lucky dog we've ever had, but lordy don't try to cut her nails. It took me and craig both to cut her nails, him to calm her down with pets and talking to, as well as hold her head if necessary while I cut her nails.

I bred German shepherds 30 odd years ago, the bitch I had I walked daily or ran daily on tarseal or concrete, I'm guessing that's why she never had her nails done.?

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom