The General Chat Thread (2024)

First world problems.Peanuts!
The electricity went off at 3am this morning.
It came back 25 minutes ago.
That meant no tea in the morning ( which is guaranteed to ruin my day :laugh:), out for breakfast and no water ( depends on the water pump) until now. No computer, no internet, mobile phone ran out of battery, fridge started to defrost (it's 30C out here).
Now that it's come back, I think I might just cook a five course meal, just for the Hell of it.:laugh::laugh:

We are on 12 hours loadshedding every day now. Country wide.
I've never been so happy to be on full solar. Limited capacity, but no powercuts!
(I'm in an area with no mains power, so live here goes on as it has for years)

We are on 12 hours loadshedding every day now. Country wide.
I've never been so happy to be on full solar. Limited capacity, but no powercuts!
(I'm in an area with no mains power, so live here goes on as it has for years)
What is loadshedding? They turn off the electric to spread the days load? Or perhaps limit it?

Last edited:
I don't understand?
You have blackouts in America?
yes. California is famous for passing 'propositions' to control / outlaw pretty much anything the spaced out weirdos can think up.
as a result, hydro-electric plants demolished - since the dam blocked river access to spawning fish , , , that no long go there....
nuclear power station shut down - well, just because....

bit it gets funnier than that . . .

once upon a week, California Governor railed/berated the whole state for not buying more electric vehicles.
one week later, California put out an urgent public notice demanding people stop charging their electric vehicles because the electric grid was collapsing under the load.

Some places, where the grid can get overtaxed, do. I think California and Texas have their share, but I don’t know for sure, or how common they are. I’ve never experienced one.
We've been threatened with them in South Florida a few times in the last couple of years as it's gotten hotter and hotter in the summer, but not yet so far.

The largest power company in Florida does have a program though that gives you a discount on your electric bill, but you have to allow them to put devices on your big electricity users, like A/C, clothes dryer, water heater, furnace if you are up north, that can be remotely turned off during peak draw hours.

Some places, where the grid can get overtaxed, do. I think California and Texas have their share, but I don’t know for sure, or how common they are. I’ve never experienced one.
We did up here in Akron once. I think it was around 2010. It affected a large area. I'll have to Google it to refresh my memory.

Edit: yeah so it was 2003 and it was "our" (NE Ohio First Energy) fault.
Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia
Screenshot_20240524-212941_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
We did up here in Akron once. I think it was around 2010. It affected a large area. I'll have to Google it to refresh my memory.

Edit: yeah so it was 2003 and it was "our" (NE Ohio First Energy) fault.
Northeast blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia
View attachment 113941
I remember that blackout! I was in uni and still living with my parents at the time. Mom and Bro were out of town. Dad came home from work early, and we bbq’d all the meat we had in the fridge. After dark we lit some candles and my Dad told me stories about the rare times that the paper didn’t publish (he was a journalist for over 40 years). Good times!

Ugh, another round of tornadic storms predicted for tomorrow, and quite a long stretch of them, from around 1PM-5PM, a short break, then 9PM-6AM. It’s those overnight ones that’ll get you.

There’s a government weather radar station in our town, so we get very specific warnings sometimes, and this time, they’ve pinpointed the highest threat of tornadoes to be…right where our 🤬 house is (as in, they named our nearest crossroads). I take comfort in knowing no one can be that specific that far out, but it’s still alarming.

Even if the tornado threat doesn’t pan out, it’s still going to be a buttload of rain, and we’re already well ahead of our average in that category.

This will be the…fourth?…round of tornado-producing storms we’ve had this year. Crazy.

Ugh, another round of tornadic storms predicted for tomorrow, and quite a long stretch of them, from around 1PM-5PM, a short break, then 9PM-6AM. It’s those overnight ones that’ll get you.

There’s a government weather radar station in our town, so we get very specific warnings sometimes, and this time, they’ve pinpointed the highest threat of tornadoes to be…right where our 🤬 house is (as in, they named our nearest crossroads). I take comfort in knowing no one can be that specific that far out, but it’s still alarming.

Even if the tornado threat doesn’t pan out, it’s still going to be a buttload of rain, and we’re already well ahead of our average in that category.

This will be the…fourth?…round of tornado-producing storms we’ve had this year. Crazy.
Stay safe Tasty! Fingers crossed it turns out to be just rain.

Oh dear I don't like the sound of that at all. Fingers crossed it's just rain.

I read somewhere there have been 385 tornados so far this year in America, that the warmer temperatures have extended tornado season and they're hitting places now that they used to miss 😔

Back
Top Bottom