The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far this Spring/Summer, we've had alternating deluges of rain and then days of intense heat and humidity. It's miserable either way.

The flowers on the back deck, all meant for full sun, are simultaneously suffering from burnt leaves and root rot. It's a mess. The herbs are all washed out as well.

So far this Spring/Summer, we've had alternating deluges of rain and then days of intense heat and humidity. It's miserable either way.

The flowers on the back deck, all meant for full sun, are simultaneously suffering from burnt leaves and root rot. It's a mess. The herbs are all washed out as well.

Mid winter here, raining for the next week. It's been a mild winter so I'm not complaining.

Russ

I find the opposite (yawn!). My most hated TV coverage is tennis. I hate the game and we were forced to watch the coverage in school (black and white TV) on hot afternoons in stuffy classrooms. Plus, other TV programmes are cancelled to make way for it.

Snap on the tennis, I hate it, and golf.

Russ

We're still in a draught here in NSW and winery is meant to be our wet season. I'm lucky here up on the hillside because we are often in low cloud at night. So despite the freezing conditions it is usually damp in the morning which is keeping the soil damp. It's warm enough most days for grass/crops to grow but like I said we're lucky. My tanks tanks are full but the two dams to the side of me are virtually dry. The same applies all around us. They should be full and the local lakes have water in them, but they are dry. You could in theory walk across them. Ironic because there are several memorials to entire families who drowned on these lakes decades ago. Today you're more likely to die from dehydration trying to cross the lake.
Most farmers can't even keep grass alive here now even in winter. They now have to plant winter crops, usually wheat or similar, for their animals to eat. Even here with the low clouds watering the ground ever so slightly, they have to plough and sew field after field. Further inland the situation is even worse. Only tbe first range of mountains and only on the sea side of those are getting regular rain and have rivers with water in them.

I'm back in the UK for the August bank holiday and am looking forward to it raining!

I know the feeling, first rain here for weeks, and it's winter!!

Russ

Yesterday the wife wanted a new range hood installed, we bought a new one a year ago. It's been sitting in the garage due to me knowing it wasn't simple. So I bit the bullet yesterday. First problem the power is in the wall unit. It goes through a small hole for the cable. Plug to big for the hole. Unplug then cut the cable and pull out. Done, throw plug and lead and unit out. Now I knew holes wouldn't line up, so drill new holes.
So the new one had to be cut as well. I went to hardware store and bough new plug. Got home and the screws wouldn't unlock, in fact the head of the screw broke. Trip back and got the guy to try to unscrew the second one. That broke as well. Another brand tried, it's good. Home again and fit. A 20 min job turned into 4 hours.

Russ

I find the opposite (yawn!). My most hated TV coverage is tennis. I hate the game and we were forced to watch the coverage in school (black and white TV) on hot afternoons in stuffy classrooms. Plus, other TV programmes are cancelled to make way for it.

It is a marvel of human ingenuity and technology. To be honest I am a bit of a Sci-fi nerd love all that stuff, Prof Brian Cox did a series about the planets which was fabulous. If I could go into space I would.

That is so depressing. Here my flowers & herbs are doing better than they ever have, because there has been plenty of sun and no water shortage - so I water them frequently.

professional weirdo Uri Geller, who seems to believe that it is hiding vast amounts of Egyptian treasures.

Most odd. Not very likely there would be Egyptian treasures there. But its quite interesting that no-one has ever totally explained how he does his spoon bending and other things. Or have they?

A trip to our local museum revealed something strange. We learned that one tiny island in the Firth of Forth is owned by professional weirdo Uri Geller, who seems to believe that it is hiding vast amounts of Egyptian treasures.

Nurse will be along soon, dear.

I've driven over that bridge, it's an amazing feat.

Russ

But its quite interesting that no-one has ever totally explained how he does his spoon bending and other things. Or have they?

James Randi, professional debunker, published a book explaining it and I think he's demonstrated it as well.

I vaguely remember that Geller sued Randi a number of times and lost every case and it cost him quite a bit in the long run.

James Randi, professional debunker, published a book explaining it and I think he's demonstrated it as well.

I vaguely remember that Geller sued Randi a number of times and lost every case and it cost him quite a bit in the long run.

Good - thanks! I was hoping there was an explanation. Will look this up... :okay:

A trip to our local museum revealed something strange. We learned that one tiny island in the Firth of Forth is owned by professional weirdo Uri Geller, who seems to believe that it is hiding vast amounts of Egyptian treasures.

Nurse will be along soon, dear.

Most odd. Not very likely there would be Egyptian treasures there. But its quite interesting that no-one has ever totally explained how he does his spoon bending and other things. Or have they?

Uri Geller is a very clever and successful con man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom