The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven over that bridge, it's an amazing feat.

Russ

There are now two road bridges across the Firth of Forth. You'd have been on the original, I imagine.

Here they are (picture courtesy of The Scotsman newspaper). The new road bridge is in the foreground, with the "old" road bridge and the rail bridge behind. The first road bridge continues to operate.

Queensferry.jpg

It's another muggy scorcher today. We were going to go to our local Schützenfest, but it's just too hot.

Truck driver went to the Fat Lady's restaurant this afternoon. "I want moo grob with fried egg, how much". "Bht 37.00". "OK, but I want extra rice". "That'll be Bht 40.00". "No, I want moo grob with extra rice for Bht 37.00".

"OK", Fat Lady says.

As he had never been to the restaurant before he wouldn't know if there was extra rice or not!

There wasn't.

Bht 37.00.

Doh!

One of my colleagues went on the ebay and found a large pet cage for £10.99, clearly a decimal point error, she bought it not knowing whether or not it would turn up once the error was realised. She received a message informing her it would take a couple of weeks to deliver because it was coming from China, we will see what happens.

^^^ Last year, I ordered a couple of novelty t-shirts as part of Christmas baskets for two nieces. They were supposed to take two weeks to ship, and I ordered them in October.

Two weeks...three weeks...four weeks, no shirts. I did a little research and found out the company was in China, then read some reviews and discovered that many people ordered things and it took months to show up, then what they got was not quite up to snuff. I'd also emailed them a few times and got no response.

I called the credit card company and they immediately refunded my money and said they'd handle it from there.

In April...shirts arrived! They were horribly mis-sized, one sleeve inches longer than the other, the silkscreening visibly askew. Now the dog uses them as crate lining.

One of my colleagues went on the ebay and found a large pet cage for £10.99, clearly a decimal point error, she bought it not knowing whether or not it would turn up once the error was realised. She received a message informing her it would take a couple of weeks to deliver because it was coming from China, we will see what happens.

It might well be right - but you would have thought shipping a cage would cost quite a bit. .

I bought some extremely cheap cheesecloth scarves from China (to use as props in food photos - see here). They were only £1.85 each. Postage free. How this is possible, I've no idea!

Ugh...I went grocery shopping on Saturday instead of my usual very early Sunday, and was instantly reminded why I don't go on Saturdays.

So, so crowded. Also, when I'm there at 06:30AM, all the workers say hi, they have time to be friendly and helpful. Go at 1PM, and it's like it's a different place altogether - no one is friendly at all.

A lot of our on-line purchases originate in China but for us it's just around the corner. Normally delivered in 7 - 10 days (as advertised).

There are now two road bridges across the Firth of Forth. You'd have been on the original, I imagine.

Here they are (picture courtesy of The Scotsman newspaper). The new road bridge is in the foreground, with the "old" road bridge and the rail bridge behind. The first road bridge continues to operate.

View attachment 29758

1998, think it was the original???

Russ

I hate buying stuff that's Chinese made, sizes are all over the place.

Russ

I'm installing some plumbing (1/4" ss tubing) for a Nitrox membrane and breathing air system on on a work boat. No yacht this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom