The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know DH would love that. :love: What, no smilie eating cheese?

Sad news, our local Penn Dutch stores are closing. Actually they closed yesterday, but reopened today for a clearance sale. They were about to open a new store in Sunrise, FL, but are now unsure if they will. I've been shopping there since the early 80's. Guess Restaurant Depot will get an increase in our business.

Sad news, our local Penn Dutch stores are closing. Actually they closed yesterday, but reopened today for a clearance sale. They were about to open a new store in Sunrise, FL, but are now unsure if they will. I've been shopping there since the early 80's. Guess Restaurant Depot will get an increase in our business.
What do you think of the reason given on the news? I have never been to one. Do you think it could be true?

Is it possible to have a reaction to nettles in cheese :unsure:
Cornish Yarg?

Not normally. There is actually very little of the acid left in the nettles if any after the nettles have been blanched. Most 'reactions' if there are going to be any are usually in people's heads because of the inbuilt responses we learnt as a child. Avoiding being stung. When I first started cooking nettles we took a while to get used to their 'furry' nature even after the sting which is one of the reasons that only the top 2 bright green nettles leaf pairs should be harvested and in spring. As the leaves darken and grow, they get more of the acid in them that causes the skin irritation (the acid is in the sting which is basically the furry bit of the leaf and stem). No stems should ever be eaten. They are best left to grow as high and tall as possible and be harvested in Autumn or Winter for weaving with or making yarn (the long the threads inside the tough outer are the easier it is to spin them into twine - I've done it several times over the years, but it is very labour intensive). IMO it is better to harvest and eat the fresh leaves in spring. I have a wonderful nettle gnocchi and nettle bread recipe.

So back to your question - any reaction would be immediate and life threatening - and I do mean immediate as in a pretty much instant response and a 999 job. (Though I do know of people who have mastered the art of eating nettle leaves but they are selecting very specific leaves before much to any of the acid is in them, and roll them in a specific manner and so on).

As for the leaf coating on Cornish Yarg (the only one I know of that uses nettles in a cheese), I would be stunned if there were a reaction other than it being a first time I've knowingly eaten nettles and its new to me and I only know them as stinging... (sorry)

Lovely mild start to the day, lots of birds singing, we spent the night listening to frog croaking (they do when its been wet) and it sunny this morning as well. Would rather be outside right now, but I'm still in my PJs, have loads of cleaning to do, loads of housework and a recipe challenge entry to do and also need to do plenty on CB... and the veranda is a disaster zone after being neglected all winter and the chooks using it for shelter from the wind... I need to remove everything from it, sweep and then sweep again, and then wash all the furniture down (all the winter dust has made it dirtier than normal) and just generally tidy up... and I have a right shoulder injury and am not meant to be using it... yeah right, so what can I do? Sit and listen to the birds right now. So I'm at the desk with the window open at 7:30am in my PJs and the fire has been allowed to go out for a day or two. (back to freezing early next week, so it will get re-lit before long but for now, the fire is out). I've got a load of washing on and the loaf of bread in the breadmaker.

Cornish Yarg?

Not normally. There is actually very little of the acid left in the nettles if any after the nettles have been blanched. Most 'reactions' if there are going to be any are usually in people's heads because of the inbuilt responses we learnt as a child. Avoiding being stung. When I first started cooking nettles we took a while to get used to their 'furry' nature even after the sting which is one of the reasons that only the top 2 bright green nettles leaf pairs should be harvested and in spring. As the leaves darken and grow, they get more of the acid in them that causes the skin irritation (the acid is in the sting which is basically the furry bit of the leaf and stem). No stems should ever be eaten. They are best left to grow as high and tall as possible and be harvested in Autumn or Winter for weaving with or making yarn (the long the threads inside the tough outer are the easier it is to spin them into twine - I've done it several times over the years, but it is very labour intensive). IMO it is better to harvest and eat the fresh leaves in spring. I have a wonderful nettle gnocchi and nettle bread recipe.

So back to your question - any reaction would be immediate and life threatening - and I do mean immediate as in a pretty much instant response and a 999 job. (Though I do know of people who have mastered the art of eating nettle leaves but they are selecting very specific leaves before much to any of the acid is in them, and roll them in a specific manner and so on).

As for the leaf coating on Cornish Yarg (the only one I know of that uses nettles in a cheese), I would be stunned if there were a reaction other than it being a first time I've knowingly eaten nettles and its new to me and I only know them as stinging... (sorry)

Tuesday evening I developed a rash on my body, very itchy and painful, had an antihystamine, it eased off, yesterday all was ok but when I went to bed the itching started again so I got up and took another hystamine, my head and neck were fine but the rest of me was covered in a rash, red, itchy and blotches all over. It eased off after taking the hystamine. Today my feet and ankles have a rash and itchy, this evening red and itchy but not as bad. Maybe the meds maybe the E45 itch relief cream are helping, either way I have no idea what has triggered this but with it starting Tuesday after cheese club nettles are the obvious culprit because it is the only thing different in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom