The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a really good question. On her clothesline there was a big cloth that smelled a lot like bleach and I saw her shaking it on her window as I was putting my clothes out to dry. I thought about talking with her, you're not supposed to let your laundry drip water on the neighbor's clothing but I assumed it was water and there's no need to worry too much about that. It turned out to be bleach.
There's the added disgust factor that it was probably a cleaning rag dripping on your clean laundry (no telling what she was cleaning with it, a toilet or tub?). Very inconsiderate of her and she should have at least apologized instead of denying it.

It boggles my mind sometimes the way people don't connect the dots between admiring someone for some superficial reason to creating a monster of sorts. I also agree that Palin ultimately hurt McCain's ticket and as much as it would have been nice to see a female VP, I was more interested in a QUALIFIED candidate. Thank you for your comments on this.
Sarah Palin's "Drill baby, drill" comments, among others, were one of her most unattractive features. I know my husband did not find her attractive. He did, however, find Tina Fey quite charming (he loves a sharp wit and good comedic timing).

Edited to add that in case you have never seen Saturday Night Live, Tina Fey is one of the writers/performers of that show and looks a little like Sarah Palin when she tries. She gave an excellent performance mocking/mimicking Sarah.

Sarah Palin's "Drill baby, drill" comments, among others, were one of her most unattractive features. I know my husband did not find her attractive. He did, however, find Tina Fey quite charming (he loves a sharp wit and good comedic timing).

Edited to add that in case you have never seen Saturday Night Live, Tina Fey is one of the writers/performers of that show and looks a little like Sarah Palin when she tries. She gave an excellent performance mocking/mimicking Sarah.

I simply love Tina Fey!

There's the added disgust factor that it was probably a cleaning rag dripping on your clean laundry (no telling what she was cleaning with it, a toilet or tub?). Very inconsiderate of her and she should have at least apologized instead of denying it.
She moved recently and was probably deep cleaning the house but, yes, I was even more upset that she refused to admit it. That's the part that shows real lack of consideration for others. I (and I guess most sane people too) feel extremely bad when I accidentally to something that causes harm to another, this lady lied straight to my face without any hint of shame or guilt whatsoever.

I love Tina Fey. Very talented.

She moved recently and was probably deep cleaning the house but, yes, I was even more upset that she refused to admit it. That's the part that shows real lack of consideration for others. I (and I guess most sane people too) feel extremely bad when I accidentally to something that causes harm to another, this lady lied straight to my face without any hint of shame or guilt whatsoever.
Some people really struggle with taking responsibility for their actions.

I had a neighbor literally destroy my GPS (she dropped it several times on the ground) and refuse to pay for it. My then-husband said it was no big deal and to let it go but it bothered me. If I broke somebody's $300 GPS I wouldn't have to be asked to replace it.

Do you want me to come there and beat her up for you? ;-)

Here's another example. I've seen a couple examples like this. Like "Scientist X and his wife won the Nobel prize", "Y's wife wrote a book", as if women's identities are tied to those of their partner. I've never seen the reverse though.

137550068_1290628911292957_899848337353713724_n.jpg

Here's another example. I've seen a couple examples like this. Like "Scientist X and his wife won the Nobel prize", "Y's wife wrote a book", as if women's identities are tied to those of their partner. I've never seen the reverse though.

View attachment 54664
Several years ago, I called a very well-known carpet company to inquire about their products and pricing. I was asked if I was married and said that I was (although I didn't understand the purpose of the question at the time). I was explicitly told that I "can't set up an appointment unless they had permission from my spouse." What?!?! I asked them if they would need MY permission if my husband had called to schedule the in-home visit and they admitted they would not. I had a job, could afford the carpet on my own and had excellent credit but they wouldn't schedule it unless they spoke to him first. And, guess who didn't care one bit about their stupid sexist rules? My H was more annoyed that he had to jump through a silly hoop for something I had total control in deciding. Needless to say, we had the whole house re-carpeted through another company.

I rent now but I would NEVER use that company if I ever owned another house.

Several years ago, I called a very well-known carpet company to inquire about their products and pricing. I was asked if I was married and said that I was (although I didn't understand the purpose of the question at the time). I was explicitly told that I "can't set up an appointment unless they had permission from my spouse." What?!?! I asked them if they would need MY permission if my husband had called to schedule the in-home visit and they admitted they would not. I had a job, could afford the carpet on my own and had excellent credit but they wouldn't schedule it unless they spoke to him first. And, guess who didn't care one bit about their stupid sexist rules? My H was more annoyed that he had to jump through a silly hoop for something I had total control in deciding. Needless to say, we had the whole house re-carpeted through another company.

That tells me they'd carpeted someone's entire house and guest quarters for several thousand dollars and then the uninformed husband refused to pay! :laugh:

mjd I am moved by your offer to come and beat up the neighbor for me :D If the international travel wasn't currently in shambles and half the world in lockdown, I would happily accept.
What a great excuse that would be to visit Portugal!!!!

View attachment 54664
I think we are about to with Kamala Harris' husband. And he seems perfectly content with the title of "Second Gentleman."

I had a job for a number of years (pre-COVID-19) where I completed business evaluations of varying sorts. Sometimes my husband was allowed to accompany me but most the time I flew solo. The times where it was a two-person assessment, I had on more than one occasion a salesman talk right over my head to my husband as if I wasn't even there, even though I was the one who was in charge of the decision making (i.e. - car sales, in-home window installation, etc.). My husband would seem disinterested and deflect them, saying something like, "Don't ask me, ask her," which really seemed to confuse them, LOL!

In this day and age, SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom