The Good Ol' Days

We have them in Christchurch, and also in akaroa where we sometimes have holidays. Called mr whippy here. Last time one visited us in akaroa the kids and grandkids lined up for ice creams and fruit boats. I picked up the tab. Think it was about $70 from memory. I know I won't be doing it again. Lol.

Russ

I won't swear to it, but I think my parents used to give us kids a quarter each when we heard the ice cream man. But not every day. lol

Yesterday (Sunday) DH found a newspaper on our front lawn. We haven't had a newspaper delivery in years. Of course the first thing I do is get out the funnies. I could not believe it. The section was a lot smaller than it used to be, but there, right in front of me, Blondie, Hagar the Horrible, The Lockhorns, Prince Valiant, Peanuts, Garfield, Marmaduke and many more. I feel like I stepped into a time machine and went back to my youth. How is it possible? I don't know, I don't care. I was just so happy to see them all again.

Yesterday (Sunday) DH found a newspaper on our front lawn. We haven't had a newspaper delivery in years. Of course the first thing I do is get out the funnies. I could not believe it. The section was a lot smaller than it used to be, but there, right in front of me, Blondie, Hagar the Horrible, The Lockhorns, Prince Valiant, Peanuts, Garfield, Marmaduke and many more. I feel like I stepped into a time machine and went back to my youth. How is it possible? I don't know, I don't care. I was just so happy to see them all again.

Sometimes the delivery people are forced to deliver samples, which they are not paid for.

Blondie, Hagar the Horrible, The Lockhorns, Prince Valiant, Peanuts, Garfield, Marmaduke and many more

Of course I don't know these things (well I've heard of Peanuts and Garfield) - but I assume they are comic strips? We don't call them funnies in the UK. Its interesting that your newspapers carry so many of them. Here there are very few comic strips in newspapers anymore. If at all... even back in the day there weren't that many.

Of course I don't know these things (well I've heard of Peanuts and Garfield) - but I assume they are comic strips? We don't call them funnies in the UK. Its interesting that your newspapers carry so many of them. Here there are very few comic strips in newspapers anymore. If at all... even back in the day there weren't that many.
When I was a kid, weekdays, there'd be two facing pages, in black-and-white, dedicated to comics and games.

On Sundays, they'd be a separate pullout, and in full color.

Here they are also called comic strips, but kids say "can I have the funnies" lol Just did a quick search - Garfield came out 41 years ago, Peanuts-71 years ago and Blondie-89 years ago.

When I was a kid, weekdays, there'd be two facing pages, in black-and-white, dedicated to comics and games.

On Sundays, they'd be a separate pullout, and in full color.

A bit different from the UK, I think. I remember Andy Capp in the Daily Mirror and its still going. Maybe there were (are?) 4 comic strips in a 'tabloid' newspaper. What seems to have really taken off is the 'puzzles and brain-teasers' - whole pages of sudoko, word games, crosswords etc.

Andy Capp:
Andy_Capp.jpeg.jpeg

I couldn't even begin to name all the comic strips when I was a kid.

I liked that some of them were funny, but some of them were more like serialized dramas (like Mary Worth).

A bit different from the UK, I think. I remember Andy Capp in the Daily Mirror and its still going. Maybe there were (are?) 4 comic strips in a 'tabloid' newspaper. What seems to have really taken off is the 'puzzles and brain-teasers' - whole pages of sudoko, word games, crosswords etc.

Andy Capp:
View attachment 31028
Oh I remember him. There is a similar strip, the Lockhorns now. The husband is sitting in front of a computer, the wife is saying "Don't make the password our Anniversary Leroy.....you'll never remember it." :giggle:

I couldn't even begin to name all the comic strips when I was a kid.

I liked that some of them were funny, but some of them were more like serialized dramas (like Mary Worth).
I remember her. Don't remember if I used to read it tho.

Andy Capp...I just remember people eventually complaining, as times changed, because he used to get drunk and beat his wife. I'm assuming he's since been reformed.

My fondest memory of Andy Capp is eating his hot fries snack thingies.

I remember reading comic strips when younger. Andy Capp was a regular along with most murican ones as well. Funny thing about andy knocking flo about is. When I meet someone I havnt seen for years. I ask them hi Dave or whoever the guy is, have you stopped beating your wife yet? Both answers are wrong,lol.
I remember reading my neighbours beano and whizz.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom