The Good Ol' Days

Put your specs on, lol, you read Lois into that,lol.
Should have gone to spec savers. :)

Russ
Sorry, it was the "s" that threw me off. Thanks for the link, that was funny. Also one of my favorite shows.

Ah, forgot about the great westerns from the '40s, '50s and '60s. Also the syfy movies from the '50s. "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and "War of The Worlds" were the best!

*musicnote* I still remember good old Mr Fender, who ran a corner grocery store. Oh he'd stroll down the aisle with a big friendly smile, he'd say "Howdy" as he walked through the door... *musicnote*

Oops. The title threw me, word association... I'm so sorry..! :oops:

Seriously, I remember BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4, Ceefax and Oracle.

Last edited:
Well, what I miss about the good ole days is having two very functional knees. And a good ankle without pins and a plate in it.

I miss going to music concerts - they cost $20 or less for big name acts when I was in college in the 70s. (Much of the music was better then, too...)

I miss that it is nigh impossible to be a free-range child today, as I largely was back then.

I miss following the space program. (I wanted to grow up to be an astronomer when I was a kid.)

@MypinchofItaly - oh, I agree completely. I get somewhat teased at work or when we go out, because I like to be well put together, so to speak, but everyone else is flopping around in cargo shorts and sleeveless t-shirts, and it's just...ick! I hate to be the stuffy one, but have a little pride in your appearance!

They relaxed the dress code at work a few years ago, and people always push boundaries, so now, I can go to work and see people in tatty old sweatpants and holey t-shirts, stained clothes, it's terrible.

Same with flying. People flying, spending a good bit of money, and they show up in things I wouldn't do my yard work in. Drives me crazy.

Sorry, but I went to the farmer's market yesterday in tatty work jeans. I didn't want to stop my outdoor moments to change, drive half an hour, buy 4 things, drive back home, to change again.

I didn't go to work stained or tatty, but since I worked in a research lab, I didn't dress to the nines there either. Often, nice blue jeans!

Flying: I wear whatever is comfortable and clean. I do admit I hate having to sit next to some dodgy guy wearing a sleeveless wife-beater top, I don't want to be subjected to being jumbled into a seat next to his sticky arms. But we can all dress appropriately once we arrive, for whatever it is we arrive for. I wear (sleeved) t-shirts and whatever is comfortable while flying for the destination climate for shorts (cargo or otherwise) or pants.

Planes have become tight cattle stalls. Okay - here's something I truly miss: SUFFICIENT LEG ROOM ON PLANES FOR TALL FOLK!

Last edited:
Of course, comfort is very important, but sandals are one thing, flip-flops in the city definitely another.
And in Milan in the summer when you see someone wearing in flip flops, they say "hey California!" :laugh:

Trouble is, when women wear flip flops they tilt their toes outwards so look like they are waddling, and the noise of them slapping in the feet really annoys me.

I'm a complete rebel where that is concerned - I really don't care what people wear or where they choose to wear it. There are lots of 'dress codes' which are not only restrictive and possibly pointless but also sexist. Safety, is another matter of course and dress codes are important in that context.

Personally, I wouldn't go out into the street wearing pyjamas (not that I possess any!) but there are plenty of women in my street who do.

On Friday my colleague told me that when she was in the shop 2 women walked in wearing pyjamas, dressing gowns and towels wrapped around their head in the shop!

My husband bought me a slinky dress, unfortunately it only works when I go downstairs.
I clicked on "like" but I just had to tell you. I laughed my head off. THAT is sooo funny. Thank you.!!!!!!!

I miss civility. I miss chivalry. I miss good manners.
I miss seeing children actually play outdoors .
I miss fairytales and pretend. I miss imagination .
I miss a world that believes in a higher power.
I miss quite. Time with no electronics. I miss a phone with a party line.
I miss gravel roads. I miss having acres of fields and woods as a backyard.
I miss being pretty instead of being a Senior.
I miss being young and thinking nothing bad would ever happen to me or anyone I loved.
I miss silly things like bell bottoms, mini skirts, macrame, "love beads ". Hip huggers, maxi skirts, hot pants., "go go boots ".
Dressing for success to take a plane. Actually enjoying a plane ride.
I miss going to a public place and not having to worry about some crazy person randomly shooting everyone in sight.
I miss a simpler world without so much hatred and ugliness.
I miss people being nice to each other.

I miss civility. I miss chivalry. I miss good manners.
I miss seeing children actually play outdoors .
I miss fairytales and pretend. I miss imagination .
I miss a world that believes in a higher power.
I miss quite. Time with no electronics. I miss a phone with a party line.
I miss gravel roads. I miss having acres of fields and woods as a backyard.
I miss being pretty instead of being a Senior.
I miss being young and thinking nothing bad would ever happen to me or anyone I loved.
I miss silly things like bell bottoms, mini skirts, macrame, "love beads ". Hip huggers, maxi skirts, hot pants., "go go boots ".
Dressing for success to take a plane. Actually enjoying a plane ride.
I miss going to a public place and not having to worry about some crazy person randomly shooting everyone in sight.
I miss a simpler world without so much hatred and ugliness.
I miss people being nice to each other.
Amen !!!!!!

You just about said it all. I'm crying

Back
Top Bottom