The Good Ol' Days

cookieee

Local time
4:32 PM
Remember when if you had a hole in your jeans, you patched it up or threw them out.? It's one thing to wear them with hole/holes around the house, but to go on TV? The other week I saw a woman HOSTING a game show wearing jeans with a BIG hole in both legs.

What are some things you remember about the good ol' days?

When women didn't go out in tube tops and/or leggings or bikinis that are too small and there are rolls of fat hanging out. Same thing for large men in Speedos, actually pretty much any man in Speedos.

When people weren't attached to their phone while driving or when in restaurants unless they are by themselves.

I thought of one - when I was a teenager it was possible to really stand out in the crowd if you dressed a certain way, wore certain make-up, styled your hair a certain way, had a tattoo, piercings... whatever. Now almost any look is out there and its much more difficult to stand out or look truly individual. So although I say I'd like to be young now, I'd miss that.

I guess the one thing I liked was having just five TV channels. We had the three national networks (ABC, NBC, CBS), the local PBS station, and a local station that just showed mostly old movies and syndicated content.

I think I got more enjoyment out of those five stations than I do now, in some ways. TV shows then felt more like an event, like something to look forward to, instead of something that's always available, when you want it, on your own schedule.

I thought of one - when I was a teenager it was possible to really stand out in the crowd if you dressed a certain way, wore certain make-up, styled your hair a certain way, had a tattoo, piercings... whatever. Now almost any look is out there and its much more difficult to stand out or look truly individual. So although I say I'd like to be young now, I'd miss that.
Are you telling tales out of school? Tattoos, piercings, how many? lol

I guess the one thing I liked was having just five TV channels. We had the three national networks (ABC, NBC, CBS), the local PBS station, and a local station that just showed mostly old movies and syndicated content.

I think I got more enjoyment out of those five stations than I do now, in some ways. TV shows then felt more like an event, like something to look forward to, instead of something that's always available, when you want it, on your own schedule.
Even tho I would miss Netflix, I do long for the days when we had good QUALITY shows on just a few channels.

:giggle: Nah - haven't got either. I thought about it back in the day before it became ubiquitous. But then I thought - I wonder if I might regret it when I get older. I don't think I would have regretted it.
When I was a teenager, I don't think those things were invented yet. :roflmao:

When I was a teenager, I don't think those things were invented yet. :roflmao:

It depends where you lived though. I grew up in a naval town and tattoos were common amongst the sailors. Not on women though! I was a teen in the 60's... and that was back when: The Times They Are A-Changin'

Last edited:
I miss seeing a bit of elegance around ... I mean awareness of own limits and respect, even towards oneself. As @medtran49 wrote, women in screaming leggins, rolls of fat that would look better if they were free (and better covered), oh my. And then, no one years ago would have dreamed of wearing flip-flops to walk in the city, because everything had its place. Today everyone seems to walk on a big beach with the excuse of the heat.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I wore high heals for so many years, it's nice to put on flip flops or sandals & be comfortable. It's also casual in many places in California. My feet swell so badly, sometimes I can't put on shoes.

Males with pants around their knees are a turn off.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MypinchofItaly - oh, I agree completely. I get somewhat teased at work or when we go out, because I like to be well put together, so to speak, but everyone else is flopping around in cargo shorts and sleeveless t-shirts, and it's just...ick! I hate to be the stuffy one, but have a little pride in your appearance!

They relaxed the dress code at work a few years ago, and people always push boundaries, so now, I can go to work and see people in tatty old sweatpants and holey t-shirts, stained clothes, it's terrible.

Same with flying. People flying, spending a good bit of money, and they show up in things I wouldn't do my yard work in. Drives me crazy.

I had two tone flared pants, long hair and a leather jacket at 15, and motor bikes. I could get a chick any time. They were the days, my d.i.l wore some jeans here a year or so when ripped jeans were in fashion. I said my wife could repair those if she wanted, we all laughed,lol. I don't have Tatts but I have a pierced ear. From 15, again.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom