The Good Ol' Days

I also miss all the old rural metal truss bridges we used to have. They seem to have disappeared.

Some of the people you see on TV these days, we used to call BUMS.

My grandfather would turn in his grave if he saw the way people dress now. Even after my grandfather retired he still wore a suit. His casual was minus the tie. And a hat with a wee feather in the side brim. I'm sitting here in shorts and polo top. Bare feet is common here. How things have changed in 50 years.

Russ

I also miss all the old rural metal truss bridges we used to have. They seem to have disappeared.
Not metal but wooden where we live.
The road can be graceful or tarmac but the bridges will drop to single lane and wooden. At times it can be a bit disconcerting.

20190314091216_img_2019-1437864233-1024x683.jpg

This is not uncommon here in Australia though it was one of the longer ones. Usually they have no sides to them (other than 1 plank width) and are just the width of the river. They flood when the river floods (assuming you can find water in Australia! )

I'm not saying I really miss them, but growing up watching black and white televisions made it quite exciting on the occasions when you got to watch a colour TV somewhere. It seems faintly odd these days to think or watching nature programmes or sport on black and white.

As the old snooker commentator said, "For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is just behind the yellow."

Not metal but wooden where we live.
The road can be graceful or tarmac but the bridges will drop to single lane and wooden. At times it can be a bit disconcerting.

View attachment 31492

This is not uncommon here in Australia though it was one of the longer ones. Usually they have no sides to them (other than 1 plank width) and are just the width of the river. They flood when the river floods (assuming you can find water in Australia! )
If you have bad storms, how do you know if the bridge is safe to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the good ol' days I used to love wearing perfume. Now, I can't even stand wearing clothes unless they have had laundry detergent smells rinsed out of them. Is that part of growing old or is it just me?

In the good ol' days I used to love wearing perfume. Now, I can't even stand wearing clothes unless they have had laundry detergent smells rinsed out of them. Is that part of growing old or is it just me?

I hate the way that laundry detergents are so scented. It clashes with any perfume I wear. I don't like wearing perfume unless I'm going out as I hate it in the kitchen. But I adore expensive (and a few not so expensive) perfumes. My current favourite is the classic Chanel No.5. But I'm very picky and generally hate cheap perfumes.

I hate the way that laundry detergents are so scented. It clashes with any perfume I wear. I don't like wearing perfume unless I'm going out as I hate it in the kitchen. But I adore expensive (and a few not so expensive) perfumes. My current favourite is the classic Chanel No.5. But I'm very picky and generally hate cheap perfumes.
It's been years since I smelled that. This is terrible, I can't remember the name of my favorite. I might have an old bottle of it stashed somewhere in the bedroom. Will look later. lol

I'm not saying I really miss them, but growing up watching black and white televisions made it quite exciting on the occasions when you got to watch a colour TV somewhere. It seems faintly odd these days to think or watching nature programmes or sport on black and white.

As the old snooker commentator said, "For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is just behind the yellow."

Lmao

Russ

Yesterday, I was walking back to my house and saw a chap in my street on his phone. Nothing odd there, but he positively yelled, "I just wanted to touch base with you." After I'd finished wincing, I had a pang of nostalgia for the days when we managed to communicate in pre consultant-speak language.

Was he just throwing something up in the air or did he need some blue-sky thinking? Did he need an answer by close of play? Was there an elephant in the room or was he picking up an idea and running with it?

Back
Top Bottom