The Health Channel

Local time
11:57 PM
A thread to post about you or your friends and family's health because sometimes it's nice to be able just say these things out loud without feeling like you're being a downer!

So if your left hip is being a b*tch today or Uncle Monty is having a knee replacement then stick it here and let rip!

Better out than in I always think.

It's also much easier for other members to say hey how's that knee doing? or What happened to your niece in the end? because if it's on a dedicated thread it's not a random post and you know the OP is ok to talk about it.
Plus sometimes with life being busy we don't always remember to ask when maybe we should.

Please remember it's a public forum though so don't go posting stuff you're not comfortable being out there.

You never know someone might even have something useful to say, mind you have a cup of tea and a sit down is always useful advice isn't it 😁

ps I know nobody on here really needs this but I’ll say it anyway, if you have a serious health concern then professional medical advice is the place to go, this being an open cooking forum means everything is opinion and not to be taken as gospel - just because Aunty Mary drank Vaseline everyday for 20 years and is over 100 doesn’t mean Aunty Mary knows what she’s talking about 😂

Last edited:
I'll kick things off with what I'm up to today.

Mr SSOAP's blood test results meant he was told he was pre-diabetic.

I'm not sure about these new labels with lower thresholds, they don’t seem quite right. They seem too low so I did some reading up.

It seems the pharmaceutical industry has manage to push their drug reach further.

Both WHO (the world health organisation) and NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) both say this 'pre- diabetic' category is unhelpful, that a vast number people in this range simply won't develop diabetes and there's no good evidence to do this. In fact the current evidence shows the opposite.

The range is low enough that 30% of the UK population and 50% of China would be classed as prediabetic!

I'm annoyed that they are giving people a disease label and dietary advice for a disease they don't have. From what I've read so far (from reliable sources) in America this has led to the prescribing of diabetic medication before any diabetic state is actually reached.
Even though the clinical evidence shows no benefit the UK is following suit.

I'm horrified we are doing this without good evidence there's any benefit. It's both stressful and impactful on a person and not the way I was trained or the way the NHS used to behave.

But here's the thing, he maybe pre-diabetic.
So he's supposed to drastically alter his diet and lifestyle on a maybe?

I think not. Looking at his sad face at the thought of giving up ice cream and chewy sweets (he's a big kid on that front 😆) makes me really sad too.

So I've just stuck a Libre Freestyle on his arm and we'll see over the next week or so if the insulin he's producing is doing its job or not.

If not ok time to make some changes.
If his insulin is currently doing it’s job then he'll join a long list of people who are being told they're pre diabetic for no good reason.

Fingers crossed for conclusive results.

Last edited:
Thanks for creating this thread! I usually post about my health issues in the general chat thread, but this seems better.❤️

I have a stomach ulcer caused by my antibiotics since yesterday! arghhh it never stops.. Sigh. But I do feel mentally better, so I guess that's something right?? LOL it's one or the other it seems :scratchhead:
I'll kick things off with what I'm up to today.

Mr SSOAP's blood test results meant he was told he was pre-diabetic.

I'm not sure about these new labels with lower thresholds, they don’t seem quite right. They seem too low so I did some reading up.

It seems the pharmaceutical industry has manage to push their drug reach further.

Both WHO (the world health organisation) and NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) both say this 'pre- diabetic' category is unhelpful, that a vast number people in this range simply won't develop diabetes and there's no good evidence to do this. In fact the current evidence shows the opposite.

The range is low enough that 30% of the UK population and 50% of China would be classed as prediabetic!

I'm annoyed that they are giving people a disease label and dietary advice for a disease they don't have. From what I've read so far (from reliable sources) in America this has led to the prescribing of diabetic medication before any diabetic state is actually reached.
Even though the clinical evidence shows no benefit the UK is following suit.

I'm horrified we are doing this without good evidence there's any benefit. It's both stressful and impactful on a person and not the way I was trained or the way the NHS used to behave.

But here's the thing, he maybe pre-diabetic.
So he's supposed to drastically alter his diet and lifestyle on a maybe?

I think not. Looking at his sad face at the thought of giving up ice cream and chewy sweets (he's a big kid on that front 😆) makes me really sad too.

So I've just stuck a Libre Freestyle on his arm and we'll see over the next week or so if the insulin he's producing is doing its job or not.

If not ok time to make some changes.
If his insulin is currently doing it’s job then he'll join a long list of people who are being told they're pre diabetic for no good reason.

Fingers crossed for conclusive results.
Yeah, pre-diabetic is not a diagnosis here. They also don't prescribe metformin for other conditions than diabetes, which they do in the US. I would say that if he's uncomfortable changing his lifestyle, happiness comes first as long as it doesn't harm him. You're adults, you can judge for yourself what is your priority.

Windigo sorry about your ulcer!

SandwichShortOfAPicnic for a few years now my blood sugar has been 2 points over the threshold. Last bloodwork I asked to have my A1C checked and it's normal. My aunt on my moms side developed diabetes in her late 70s. I just turned 62. For now I'm not giving up anything or changing my diet. Just keeping an eye on it.

Haha, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2001, dropped nearly 100 pounds, then undiagnosed by another doctor (“You don’t have diabetes, you’re just fat and lazy.”) in 2004, then rediagnosed with pre-diabetes in 2020 by a nurse-practitioner, then reundiagnosed by a new doctor in 2022, but during my last visit, she gave me the stinkeye because my A1C was 6.2.

Haha, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2001, dropped nearly 100 pounds, then undiagnosed by another doctor (“You don’t have diabetes, you’re just fat and lazy.”) in 2004, then rediagnosed with pre-diabetes in 2020 by a nurse-practitioner, then reundiagnosed by a new doctor in 2022, but during my last visit, she gave me the stinkeye because my A1C was 6.2.
I was laughing at the last line. The stinkeye part.

I was laughing at the last line. The stinkeye part.

So do you have to go on meds?
Nope, I’ve never had to go on meds.

When I was first diagnosed, I drastically changed my eating habits (I really was a human garbage disposal), exercised, and lost a bunch of weight and figured out that as long as I stayed under 200 pounds, my A1C would stay around 5.9.

That lasted until 2020 - I was 190 pounds and my A1C was 6.1, and I lost another 10 pounds and it was 6.2.

She tried to put me on medication, but I changed doctors at that time, and my new doc didn’t see the need, but now it’s 6.2 and she’s telling me I need to do better with my dietary choices. I have a feeling meds are coming my way when I see her next.

But hey, there was just an article out a couple of weeks ago that metformin or whatever it is slows down aging, so cool, I’ll get to live forever.

Nope, I’ve never had to go on meds.

When I was first diagnosed, I drastically changed my eating habits (I really was a human garbage disposal), exercised, and lost a bunch of weight and figured out that as long as I stayed under 200 pounds, my A1C would stay around 5.9.

That lasted until 2020 - I was 190 pounds and my A1C was 6.1, and I lost another 10 pounds and it was 6.2.

She tried to put me on medication, but I changed doctors at that time, and my new doc didn’t see the need, but now it’s 6.2 and she’s telling me I need to do better with my dietary choices. I have a feeling meds are coming my way when I see her next.

But hey, there was just an article out a couple of weeks ago that metformin or whatever it is slows down aging, so cool, I’ll get to live forever.
I'd like to see that article.

I had edited my post after checking that 6,2 was in the pre-diabetes range still. I didn't remember that it had to be higher than 6.4.

I had a thorough medical when I arrived in London. Wierd questions like "Do you sleep well?" "Are you regular?" "how many units of alcohol do you consume per week? " (UNITS????? You mean, buckets, right?) Blood work came back and the doc said my cholesterol levels were just a little high, which meant I'd probably have a heart attack, etc. when I'm 74.
"That's something to look forward to then, isn't it Doc? "
They don't produce medical professionals with a sense of humour any more. She put me on statins, which I took religiously, every single day, until the number of bathroom visits exceed half a dozen. I called her and she said : "STOP taking them immediately!" That incursion into the world of medication cost me 3 months of the same bathroom anguish and an exceedingly uncomfortable colonoscopy, after which I went over the road to the pub.
I'm not an idiot, however. I try to avoid taking any pills or medicine if I can, watch what I eat (have to watch it, because if I take my eye off it for one minute, the dog'll have it), get plenty of exercise, avoid unnecessary stress (like keeping my SIL away from the house), etc.

I'd like to see that article.

I had edited my post after checking that 6,2 was in the pre-diabetes range still. I didn't remember that it had to be higher than 6.4.
I just checked my online chart (gotta love technology) and my A1C was 5.4 last bloodwork (5.7 and over is pre-diabetes). As much rum and Coke as I drink that's low.

karadekoolaid I'm on the lowest dose of statin possible, 5mg. They wanted me to take 10mg but I insisted on trying lower because my cholesterol wasn't that high. That was the last visit, I'm due for bloodwork in July so we'll see if I have to go higher. My DH takes 40mgs because he has hereditary high cholesterol. It used to cause him some muscle soreness but after a year or so it got better. I've had no side effects.

One of the cheapest diabetes drugs on the market can also slow aging and extend your life span. Here's how

Now, I want to be clear, I take anything like that with a grain of salt heart-healthy salt substitute, so I didn’t read that and think any of it was true (well, maybe it’s a true as horse tranquilizers as a covid cure, or whatever it was for that). :laugh:
That was an interesting read, but like you I'm a bit skeptical. Plus I know people who've taken it and it wasn't staving off other age-related maladies.

That was an interesting read, but like you I'm a bit skeptical. Plus I know people who've taken it and it wasn't staving off other age-related maladies.
We’re destined to evolve into a super-species, with immortality…and diabetes.

Much like vampires and their lust for blood, we will all be raiding pharmacies for metformin. :laugh:

I'm suspecting I might have high blood pressure, because since I had my concussion in november I frequently have dizzy spells and a rushing sense of blood flowing to my head when I lie down or bend forward. I also hear a buzzing sound. It might also be caused by the concussion. I dunno, but high blood pressure runs in my family and nobody has checked me for a while. It's on my list to get checked the next time I see a doctor.

Back
Top Bottom