The Health Channel

I'm suspecting I might have high blood pressure, because since I had my concussion in november I frequently have dizzy spells and a rushing sense of blood flowing to my head when I lie down or bend forward. I also hear a buzzing sound. It might also be caused by the concussion. I dunno, but high blood pressure runs in my family and nobody has checked me for a while. It's on my list to get checked the next time I see a doctor.
I'm on a low dose of high blood pressure medication and have been for about 6 years, no side effects thankfully. You are young to have it though. My MIL gets dizzy spells but she actually has low blood pressure. Definitely something to get checked.

Do you only get the buzzing sound when you lie down or bend forward? Hopefully that's the case.

I have tinnitus (constant buzzing sound) and mine came on after I got over Covid the 1st time. Nothing they can do about that unfortunately.

I'm on a low dose of high blood pressure medication and have been for about 6 years, no side effects thankfully. You are young to have it though. My MIL gets dizzy spells but she actually has low blood pressure. Definitely something to get checked.

Do you only get the buzzing sound when you lie down or bend forward? Hopefully that's the case.

I have tinnitus (constant buzzing sound) and mine came on after I got over Covid the 1st time. Nothing they can do about that unfortunately.
Yes only when I bend over and lie down and it's not constant. It may be that my inner ear is damaged because I got hit by a pole on the side of my head, but I figure I should be sure just to be safe.

I have a lot of things I am young for, so I'm better safe than sorry.

Yes only when I bend over and lie down and it's not constant. It may be that my inner ear is damaged because I got hit by a pole on the side of my head, but I figure I should be sure just to be safe.

I have a lot of things I am young for, so I'm better safe than sorry.
Always. You are wise for your age, so many young people don't take their health seriously. But I always knew you were/are a smart cookie!

I just checked my online chart (gotta love technology) and my A1C was 5.4 last bloodwork (5.7 and over is pre-diabetes). As much rum and Coke as I drink that's low.

karadekoolaid I'm on the lowest dose of statin possible, 5mg. They wanted me to take 10mg but I insisted on trying lower because my cholesterol wasn't that high. That was the last visit, I'm due for bloodwork in July so we'll see if I have to go higher. My DH takes 40mgs because he has hereditary high cholesterol. It used to cause him some muscle soreness but after a year or so it got better. I've had no side effects.
This is exactly what I mean 5.7 isnt high, never has been. Would consider that normal and wouldn’t bat an eyelid at it.
The NHS website clearly hasn’t caught up with the new threshold changes (that appear to have been made for no good reason).
IMG_2203.jpeg

Thanks for creating this thread! I usually post about my health issues in the general chat thread, but this seems better.❤️

I have a stomach ulcer caused by my antibiotics since yesterday! arghhh it never stops.. Sigh. But I do feel mentally better, so I guess that's something right?? LOL it's one or the other it seems :scratchhead:
A stomach ulcer?! Honestly tell your guts they might think they’re funny but they’re not!

Last edited:
Yeah it can take a long time and I of course heal slower than other people because of my meds, but I still feel I need to be sure.
Yes I think you do need to check, there can be lots of reasons it happens, mostly not serious, something as simple as low blood sugar can cause it but it’s not something to ignore.

I got told at my last doctors visit that I need to get my cholesterol levels down. Now I know genetics come in to it and all that (and for me it does big time, we've always known that), but my hubby eats almost exactly the same as I do and his figures are 3.8. Even his doctor is impressed, so view come mine are 6.1 on exactly the same diet? Grrr talk about unfair. I'd like to shoot those who have me my genes.... I've got 3 months to get it down. So I'm working on cutting out saturated fats down even further. It's not like we eat much of them but I'm out of ideas after that. I've very little sodium in my diet.

And I've got folate anaemia. Hubby's haemochromatosis means we've avoided excess green leaves in the diet. We were eating them daily, but the condition nearly killed him before it's diagnosis and we've gotten out of the habit of eating green leaf veg... we take a sublingual B12 supplement because of our diet, but somehow I've ended up with a folate deficiency at stage 4, so my red blood cells are affected. I'm working on it. But taking a folate supplement for the last 10 days does seem to be having an effect... I've just got to work on greens. The irony is that the veg plot is full of them! 😆 my next bloods are done in a lithe over 2 weeks (I have them monthly).

I got told at my last doctors visit that I need to get my cholesterol levels down. Now I know genetics come in to it and all that (and for me it does big time, we've always known that), but my hubby eats almost exactly the same as I do and his figures are 3.8. Even his doctor is impressed, so view come mine are 6.1 on exactly the same diet? Grrr talk about unfair. I'd like to shoot those who have me my genes.... I've got 3 months to get it down. So I'm working on cutting out saturated fats down even further. It's not like we eat much of them but I'm out of ideas after that. I've very little sodium in my diet.

And I've got folate anaemia. Hubby's haemochromatosis means we've avoided excess green leaves in the diet. We were eating them daily, but the condition nearly killed him before it's diagnosis and we've gotten out of the habit of eating green leaf veg... we take a sublingual B12 supplement because of our diet, but somehow I've ended up with a folate deficiency at stage 4, so my red blood cells are affected. I'm working on it. But taking a folate supplement for the last 10 days does seem to be having an effect... I've just got to work on greens. The irony is that the veg plot is full of them! 😆 my next bloods are done in a lithe over 2 weeks (I have them monthly).
That’s a really tough one because looking at the diet you post on here you’re already doing the right things.
I hope it you can get it to right itself but if you can’t then you really have tried and it’s not on you, it’s a very unfair sprinkling of genetics messing with things.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
That’s a really tough one because looking at the diet you post on here you’re already doing the right things.
I hope it you can get it to right itself but if you can’t then you really have tried and it’s not on you, it’s a very unfair sprinkling of genetics messing with things.

Fingers crossed.
Unfortunately, health is less in our hands than we get told by media and popular culture. When I first got diagnosed with Crohns disease I had been vegan for 10 years, and despite my life long weight issues have always tried to be as healthy as possible. Nothing is as motivating to want to do health 'right' as being as ill as SatNavSaysStraightOn or I are.
But doing things 'right' doesn't solve all issues, even more so if you started out at life disadvantaged like I am (disability, abusive parents) no matter how hard you try it isn't all in your hands.
I've certainly not got the 'perfect' diet for myself currently, but that's because I've been near death three times already and doing everything 'right' made no difference. For me personally quality of life is more important now, as I don't know how long I still have. What people tend to forget when you're struggling with serious illness for 20+ years like I am is that you are already fighting for things others consider perfectly normal and expected when you're young, like being able to go out or see friends. Then there comes a point where you're going to choose quality over quantity. Of course, I am speaking for me and not Satnav. I am sorry for her that's she's in this position even though trying so hard :hug:

My husband's cholesterol was over 300 at age 18 and he was doing martial arts and was in peak physical shape with a well-balanced diet. It pretty much stayed the same no matter what he ate, but in his 50s his GP insisted he needed to get it under control or risk blockages that could cause heart attack or stroke. So now he is on 40mg of statin drugs and his total cholesterol is well below 200 (I think around 150).

Weird how they gauge levels differently in different countries. I have no idea how your figures compare to the way they measure blood cholesterol in the US. I will have to google that.

Some fields in medicine are more reactive to research than others and that leads to different standards.

It's not necessarily a good thing because changing thresholds or advice based on one bit of research can lead to disastrous consequences.

For something to be accepted as true there needs to be more than one study (in the UK that used to be approximately 10 different studies and a meta analysis) and then the consensus taken from that robust work.

When that safeguard is skipped the advice and meds that are handed out can have bad consequences.

For example red meat fat is bad for you and will lead to a heart attack. That was from one flawed study. Decades later they discover the chemical composition that can assist with artery clogging is actually present in the lean part of the meat, the meat fat is not responsible.

Or one of the worse ones IMO was the single very flawed study showing HRT gives women breast cancer. That stopped millions of women getting the help they needed and that message still pervades today.

This latest trend for telling people they are pre-diabetic and all the associated lifestyle changes they have to make is not based on research or endorsed by the largest most trusted bodies. I find it quite horrifying they will meddle and frighten people to that extent with no research to back this idea up.

Back
Top Bottom