The most unconventional thing you've eaten?

rascal
Soft shell crabs are when the crab is molting, typically blue crab where I come from. The new emerging shell when they lose their hard shell is temporarily soft and edible. Very tasty. Abalone sounds delicious. Probably tastes similar to conch?
Very similar to conch! I have a 7 pound red ab in our deep freezer. Queen conch is now protected in Florida, so all of it comes from Caribbean sources. This is a favorite recipe for Conch Salad and I have one for fritters as well.

Recipe - Conch Salad

I make a blue crab dip that's pretty awesome. Y'all are making me hungry.

Now I'm wanting to set up my other propane cooker and get some blue crab to steam. Got lots of Old Bay.

rascal
Soft shell crabs are when the crab is molting, typically blue crab where I come from. The new emerging shell when they lose their hard shell is temporarily soft and edible. Very tasty. Abalone sounds delicious. Probably tastes similar to conch?
I discovered soft shell crabs whilst on holiday in the Med last year, and became addicted. I've not seen them in the UK at all.

I discovered soft shell crabs whilst on holiday in the Med last year, and became addicted. I've not seen them in the UK at all.

I had one in a restaurant in Clacton on Sea of all places. It was an Italian restaurant. I wasn't that keen. It was a good restaurant and correctly cooked I think. I just didn't really like eating soft shell.

Breaded and fried is the best way to eat softshell, in my opinion.

I had a crawfish pot pie once somewhere that was very tasty. I'd like to try to recreate that.

Not unusual here in the UK, but possibly so in the rest of the world - black pudding. Cooked pigs blood, in a skin like a sausage. Eaten as part of a cooked breakfast, or in a sandwich with ham. I love it.

Why sure. But for some reason, it resonates in my head that pies are sweet, and a savory pie is a "pot" pie for some reason. I dunno, were you raised in the South or transplanted? And I kinda think SE Florida is very different from NW Florida. In the panhandle area it's called LA (lower Alabama), AKA the Redneck Rivera.

Well I am sure that's where it was invented, so there ya go. Lower Alabamians will call it crawfish pot pie incorrectly and if I go to Cajun country, I will know better now.

Well I am sure that's where it was invented, so there ya go. Lower Alabamians will call it crawfish pot pie incorrectly and if I go to Cajun country, I will know better now.
There's no correct or incorrect. As long as you get your meaning across, you're good :thumbsup:

BTW, I have family on St. George Island and in Tallahassee, though I'm Ohio born and bred (one generation removed from Kentucky).

I've been to St. George Island many times. Nice place! I guess if you know the area, you are familiar with Alligator Point, Wakulla Springs, Crawfordville, Panacea, St. Marks...even though I am from the Panhandle I moved to Tallahassee for a couple of years when I was a teenager (my mom moved there for work). I went back to Destin as soon as I turned 18.

I am not a fan of being landlocked and I don't like Ohio winters. And though I miss a lot of things about Florida, the heat isn't one of them! If I had my way, I would live in Ohio from May to September and live in Florida for the rest.

Why sure. But for some reason, it resonates in my head that pies are sweet, and a savory pie is a "pot" pie for some reason. I dunno, were you raised in the South or transplanted? And I kinda think SE Florida is very different from NW Florida. In the panhandle area it's called LA (lower Alabama), AKA the Redneck Rivera.

Born and raised (except for a short stint in Maryland, which I was too young to remember). My oldest brother, RIP, was stationed in Pensacola for a few years and also at Jax NAS for awhile. He was a Naval Aviator. Yup, a bit different, there are no Everglades in the panhandle. I'm probably more like folks in north Florida than SE (redneck type :whistling: ) I used to teach hunter safety education for the state.

Back
Top Bottom