The most unconventional thing you've eaten?

Born and raised (except for a short stint in Maryland, which I was too young to remember). My oldest brother, RIP, was stationed in Pensacola for a few years and also at Jax NAS for awhile. He was a Naval Aviator. Yup, a bit different, there are no Everglades in the panhandle. I'm probably more like folks in north Florida than SE (redneck type :whistling: ) I used to teach hunter safety education for the state.
My dad is buried at Barrancas National Cemetery. He was a Colonel in the AF.

I was actually born at Andrews AFB, so not born and raised, but after the Vietnam war my father retired near Hurlburt Field (about 25 miles from Pensacola).

There are alligators in the panhandle. They have swamps, yes, there are no everglades, but there are cricks (creeks for non-Southerners and out of the USA) and marshy swamps.

Do you like turtle? My cousin used to make turtle soup. It was okay. It might be that he wasn't a very good cook and other people can make it taste good, unsure.

Last edited:
I ate cobra once, a long time ago since I was just 10 years old. I grew up in the local site of Thailand, we eat so many extremely meat, frog, bullfrog and snake. I remember when my uncle making that thing in the kitchen and mix some snake gallbladder with vodka and drink. So snake meat to me in that time forbidden to kid ,I ate it when no parent around and i taste nothing but spice and it was spicy as hell!

I ate cobra once, a long time ago since I was just 10 years old. I grew up in the local site of Thailand, we eat so many extremely meat, frog, bullfrog and snake. I remember when my uncle making that thing in the kitchen and mix some snake gallbladder with vodka and drink. So snake meat to me in that time forbidden to kid ,I ate it when no parent around and i taste nothing but spice and it was spicy as hell!

I don't eat snakes, I keep them as collections. My avatar is an Amazon Basin emerald tree boa.

I don't eat snakes, I keep them as collections. My avatar is an Amazon Basin emerald tree boa.
I can tell you that i never eat it again since that terrible time. Thai people have contrast thinking about snake, some of them eat it some of them sacre it like god, if you know Naka,I rather watch them from far way... and your collection so beautifull colour hehe

Barbecued young rats.

I didn't eat any.

My dad is buried at Barrancas National Cemetery. He was a Colonel in the AF.

I was actually born at Andrews AFB, so not born and raised, but after the Vietnam war my father retired near Hurlburt Field (about 25 miles from Pensacola).

There are alligators in the panhandle. They have swamps, yes, there are no everglades, but there are cricks (creeks for non-Southerners and out of the USA) and marshy swamps.

Do you like turtle? My cousin used to make turtle soup. It was okay. It might be that he wasn't a very good cook and other people can make it taste good, unsure.

I haven't heard the term "crick" since I moved away from the North. They are creeks down here, from my 40-something years living here.

CD

We have cricks, licks, and runs around here. :)
Since I moved to Northeast Ohio 20 years ago after living in the Florida Panhandle for most of my life, I haven't heard anyone refer to cricks, licks, or runs up here. Must be a southern Ohio thing? You probably have much nicer water in your cricks than we do :) There are a few rivers around here, but nothing I would ever swim in (thinking of you, Cuyahoga River that caught on fire about a dozen times up until 1969).

Where I grew up in Florida, it was common to go swimming or canoeing over at Blackwater River...people would say, "Let's go over to the crick for the day". We would pack a cooler and head on over. And really, the part we went to over in Milton was hardly large enough to be considered a river.

Blackwater River (Florida) - Wikipedia

Since I moved to Northeast Ohio 20 years ago after living in the Florida Panhandle for most of my life, I haven't heard anyone refer to cricks, licks, or runs up here. Must be a southern Ohio thing? You probably have much nicer water in your cricks than we do :) There are a few rivers around here, but nothing I would ever swim in (thinking of you, Cuyahoga River that caught on fire about a dozen times up until 1969).

Where I grew up in Florida, it was common to go swimming or canoeing over at Blackwater River...people would say, "Let's go over to the crick for the day". We would pack a cooler and head on over. And really, the part we went to over in Milton was hardly large enough to be considered a river.

Blackwater River (Florida) - Wikipedia

Maybe it's a Florida thing.

It's like crawfish. There is the right way, crawfish, and there are other regional ways, like crayfish. :p:

Since creeks seem to be always spelled "creek," on road signs marking them, I just assume the right way to pronounce this little body of water is... creek.

But, living this close to Mexico, I get annoyed when I hear British TV cooks pronounce taco and salsa -- and most other things Spanish. Sorry my UK friends. It doesn't bother me enough that we cant be friends. BTW, the double "ll" in tortilla is pernounced like a "y." :whistling:

Uh oh, my inner "Tasty Rueben" is coming out.

CD

I haven't heard anyone refer to cricks, licks, or runs up here.
"Crick" around here is a very general term, like, "Let's go to the crick and cool off!"

"Sounds good, where you thinkin'?"

"Seven-Mile Creek. That's the best crick for dippin'."

My dad was born up on Copper Creek, the crick just off Paint Lick, near Cartersville, KY.

Where I grew up, Harker's Run ran right through a corner of our property:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harker's_Run_(Ohio)

It was like our own private crick, and it's where I used to dig up...

It's like crawfish. There is the right way, crawfish, and there are other regional ways, like crayfish. :p:
...crawdads. That's what we call them here.

But, living this close to Mexico, I get annoyed when I hear British TV cooks pronounce taco and salsa -- and most other things Spanish. Sorry my UK friends. It doesn't bother me enough that we cant be friends. BTW, the double "ll" in tortilla is pernounced like a "y." :whistling:
Back in the early 1990's, a local pub made a big deal about completely revamping their menu and, save for a couple of standards like fish-and-chips, going full-on Tex-Mex.

Imagine my surprise when we stopped in and the pub lady proudly bragged about having "TACK-ohs and bur-RIGHT-ohs and all." :eek:

Uh oh, my inner "Tasty Rueben" is coming out.
Embrace the crazy side!

Where I grew up, Harker's Run ran right through a corner of our property:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harker's_Run_(Ohio)

It was like our own private crick, and it's where I used to dig up...

...crawdads. That's what we call them here.

Back in the early 1990's, a local pub made a big deal about completely revamping their menu and, save for a couple of standards like fish-and-chips, going full-on Tex-Mex.

Imagine my surprise when we stopped in and the pub lady proudly bragged about having "TACK-ohs and bur-RIGHT-ohs and all." :eek:

Embrace the crazy side!

And here I thought that a "run" was a trail or slope for snow skiing.

Both my mom and my MIL (when she was alive) pronounce tortilla so that it rhymes with gorilla.
Actually, I have to explain that further: my MIL added the ~ lilt at the end, so it came out like "tor-TILL-ya," but she always struggled with it, as in:

"Yes, I'll have the Mexi-Chicken Salad With Crispy Tor...Tort...Tort-Tee...um...Tortill...ah...Tor-TILL-ya Chips, please."

Back
Top Bottom