The most unconventional thing you've eaten?

I have eaten fried mealworms in a fruit and granola bar, tasted fine. Just like granola tbh. I could eat them again, but I guess I only would if it'd be absolutely necessary because well, I guess I just don't like the idea of them anyway.

I've also had ostrich, which had quite a gamey taste which reminded me more of pork than poultry but it was tasty.

Otherwise I've eaten almost every kind of offal, exept somehow kidneys but those are pretty hard to get where I live. I like heart and liver, especially chicken or goose liver.

I did have reindeer sausage on a pizza in Alaska. I felt a little let down, as it's not all reindeer, just a bit mixed in with other meats. Normal for sausage, of course, but when you tell me I'm about to have reindeer sausage, I guess it gets in my head it's going to be 100% reindeer. :)

I did have reindeer sausage on a pizza in Alaska. I felt a little let down, as it's not all reindeer, just a bit mixed in with other meats. Normal for sausage, of course, but when you tell me I'm about to have reindeer sausage, I guess it gets in my head it's going to be 100% reindeer. :)

Oh you remind me that I ate moose in Finland! It was okay, a little on the dry side but I liked it. Tasted like a sweeter kind of beef.

Lots of offal, brains etc, and testicles, oddest= live huhu grubs, tastes like peanut butter. Croc, ostrich and a few others as well.

Russ

I've no idea what huhu grubs are, but I've had alligator sausage (probably similar to croc) and ostrich. With the alligator it was too much sausage to tell what that was like, but I do like ostrich steak. Tastes like a very lean and tender steak of beef. More and better flavor than fillet mignon. Which, frankly, is over-rated.

The bit about the squirrel's brains just made me go a peculiar colour..... :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I love squirrel, but never had the brains. I have, however, had lamb brains, and back when I was a youngster, Dad would make a calf brain salad. This was back late 60s early 70s prior to "mad Cow" - I wouldn't eat cow brains now - he'd cook them up, chill them down, serve with a viniagrette and capers. I liked them.

Hey, as a kid, if something wasn't cottage cheese, peas or brussels sprouts, I'd devour it. (I still feel the same way about cottage cheese.)

MC, my experience with ostrich was not tender, at all. Very lean, to the point of no marbling at all. Cooked pretty rare. I didn't mind the taste, but it took a lot of chewing.

Bison is popular in the US now, and is low in fat. It is a bit chewy, too. Bison were almost wiped out a few centuries ago, but now thrive in the North-Central US. Most grocery stores carry it as a lean alternative to beef.

CD

MC, my experience with ostrich was not tender, at all. Very lean, to the point of no marbling at all. Cooked pretty rare. I didn't mind the taste, but it took a lot of chewing.

Bison is popular in the US now, and is low in fat. It is a bit chewy, too. Bison were almost wiped out a few centuries ago, but now thrive in the North-Central US. Most grocery stores carry it as a lean alternative to beef.

CD
Yep, even my podunk small Kroger carried bison, and the restaurant yesterday had bison chili on the menu. It's everywhere!

I've been vegetarian for way too long to have eaten anything too weird. I've seen a few strange things on menus. Bear in mustard sauce in Bucharest springs to mind, as does elk vindaloo in Reykjavik.

I've tried chewing qat, though. We met lots of Yemeni and Somali people in Eritrea and many of them chewed the stuff all the time. I can't say it did a huge amount for me beyond a slightly aching jaw and mild constipation.

The ostrich I had was back around 1993 or 94, when I went to a business conference in New Orleans. I don't know the recipe they used for the ostrich at the restaurant I dined at (in the French Quarter) but this ostrich steak was done beyond tender. One probably has to know how to cook it to do it right - I have no clue at this end! It was served rare/medium-rare. They did note that over cooking would toughen the steak terribly. And if I wanted something cooked further than medium rare -- do order something else. I was happy to try this per the restaurant's recommendation.

...and now I recall tasking a baked onion filled with ground camel (the animal, not the cigarettes:laugh:.

When in Iceland I had a buffet including horse steak, smoked horse tongue, salted lamb heart and of course the rancid shark.

I have to admit, something named "rancid shark" would turn me off. I've had shark - it has to be super fresh or else it tastes of ammonia and that ilk.

I have to admit, something named "rancid shark" would turn me off. I've had shark - it has to be super fresh or else it tastes of ammonia and that ilk.
"What's the special today, waiter?"

"The shark, sir."

"Tell me, is it rancid?"

"Oh yes, sir! Our shark is brought in daily from the slowest shark procurers in Iceland. It takes them weeks to get to the restaurant from just <points to the harbor> over there. It's positively spoiled, sir, I assure you!"

"Very good. I'll have that."

Back
Top Bottom