The perfect mashed potatoes?

Baked potato mash gives a wonderful flavour but takes an age to make. It involves baking spuds, scooping out the flesh then putting the skins in a pan with milk and warming it through to infuse the flavour before using the strained milk to complete the mash with butter and seasoning.
One of the recipes I've used before does call for boiling the potatoes whole with their skins on, to impart that earthiness, then scraping the skins off after they've cooled a bit.

Bejasus, I don't use that much butter in a kilo of butter chicken!

No wonder he died.
Ok, I made spuds again tonight and I weighed them - about 700g of potatoes (two russets), and 227g of butter (one package), along with a couple of tablespoons of milk and a couple of tablespoons of creme fraiche, fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper.

One of the recipes I've used before does call for boiling the potatoes whole with their skins on, to impart that earthiness, then scraping the skins off after they've cooled a bit.

Not every time but I may leave the skins on for mashing. I frequently leave the skins on for Bombay potatoes, masala potatoes and roast potatoes. Regarding baking and then using the flesh for mash, ok, but I would always eat the baked crisp skin(s). The best part IMO.

Not every time but I may leave the skins on for mashing. I frequently leave the skins on for Bombay potatoes, masala potatoes and roast potatoes. Regarding baking and then using the flesh for mash, ok, but I would always eat the baked crisp skin(s). The best part IMO.

Yorky i do them like that, then fill with mashed sweet tatter mix spring onions and bacon. Cheese on top.

Russ

Ok, I made spuds again tonight and I weighed them - about 700g of potatoes (two russets), and 227g of butter (one package), along with a couple of tablespoons of milk and a couple of tablespoons of creme fraiche, fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper.

I made mash last night - I was craving mash and onion gravy after all this chat. I didn't use any butter or milk at all - just a little salt. They were really delicious. If I can save calories, I will and 227g of butter has a whopping 1680 calories. That is my entire daily allowance for calories.

Assuming your mash is for 2, that makes 1120 cals per portion of mash (including the creme fraiche & milk),

My whole meal of (one) sausage, onion gravy, mash and cabbage was less than 350 cals. Not that I'm smug - I just can't afford to eat that many calories or I would be piling on weight.

Last edited:

Deep fry those skins, stuff with cheese, bacon, hot chilis and bake until the cheese melts. Then add sour cream and chives on top. Stuffed potato skins are great! Chile works well too.

Deep fry those skins, stuff with cheese, bacon, hot chilis and bake until the cheese melts. Then add sour cream and chives on top. Stuffed potato skins are great! Chile works well too.

I have done that in the past. Got the idea from the Chef of the Taj Mahal Hotel in Bombay (not personally). I stuffed them with vegetarian samosa filling.

Spud Recipes

samosajackets.jpg

I don't count calories, obviously. I started to type "...because life's too short for that," then immediately realized it may very well be shorter by not counting calories! :)

I really wouldn't know how to "count calories" without some guidance from the internet (which I haven't yet sought). I've been the same build (skinny) and roughly the same weight for 50 years and my weight/height relationship is within what are considered normal boundaries. I hover around 80 - 85 kg and my height is 1.92 m.

I really wouldn't know how to "count calories" without some guidance from the internet (which I haven't yet sought). I've been the same build (skinny) and roughly the same weight for 50 years and my weight/height relationship is within what are considered normal boundaries. I hover around 80 - 85 kg and my height is 1.92 m.
I've never really counted calories. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, the nutritionist had me focus on net carbs and portion control, so I'm good at that, but I have no idea about calories beyond "celery is low, cream-filled doughnut is high."

I've never really counted calories. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, the nutritionist had me focus on net carbs and portion control, so I'm good at that, but I have no idea about calories beyond "celery is low, cream-filled doughnut is high."

I did hear thar celery is not just low, it's negative. Apparently one uses up more calories with the physical action of eating it that the calories it contains.

Yep - but I know you normally eat very light during the day and have one main meal. At least, I seem to recall you saying that.

Well, if that works for you (and MrsTasty) then that's fine. There are many ways to eat sensibly and not gain weight.

I don't necessarily count them too rigorously - though I think I know the calorie count of most common foods (and alcohol!) more or less by heart. The one thing I really know is that all fat is high in calories and that fat in many foods can be easily reduced without much problem taste wise. So cutting out or reducing fat is mainly what I do to reduce calories.

The average calories intake for men is 2500 cals per day to maintain weight and not gain. Its less for women unfortunately.😠

Potatoes are really not too bad on calorie count. Its around 75 to 100 calories per 100g of raw potato. 100g of potatoes is usually fine for me the feel satisfied. When I made the mash I had about 150g (raw weight).

Back
Top Bottom