The perfect mashed potatoes?

When I was at Uni I had a housemate who would put an egg yolk into his mash and quickly whip it in. It made the mash really creamy and gave it a richness. I've never seen a recipe or heard of it since.

My nana used to add a yolk, but then they had about 20 chooks. Maybe she was just using them up. My mum ,nor I have never added yolks either!! Occasionally some finely chopped onion. I loved that as a kid.

Russ

When I was at Uni I had a housemate who would put an egg yolk into his mash and quickly whip it in. It made the mash really creamy and gave it a richness. I've never seen a recipe or heard of it since.
Yeah, my mom's mom would do that. Just google "mashed potatoes egg yolk," and you'll get a lot of results.

My nana used to add a yolk, but then they had about 20 chooks. Maybe she was just using them up. My mum ,nor I have never added yolks either!! Occasionally some finely chopped onion. I loved that as a kid.

Russ
One day I will try it, it's just I've never wanted to risk ruining a good mash before.

That is the way I used to make duchess potatoes. But the whole egg.

This was a pathetic effort a while ago (we don't have the icing gadgets).

We had mash today. I usually make it with ;
500 g potatoes
150 g butter
50 g grated cheese
50 ml milk
Nutmeg and grated black pepper to taste.
It's really smooth and flavorful this way.

Of course restaurants use a whole pack of butter on 750 g of potatoes but this is indulgent enough for a family meal I think.

My perfect mashed potatoes use Yukon golds, or some other gold potato. NEVER Russetts. Russets taste like cardboard.

With Yukon and other golds, leaving the skin on is fine. You do have to remove (I believe) the skin from Russets - that dry papery stuff. Yukons have tasty and unobtrusive skin. And there is a nutritional benefit to the skin.

Boil until soft, usually about 20 minutes.

Remove from pot, mash adding butter, sour cream, and optional cheese, and some salt and pepper and ground nutmeg. Seriously, the nutmeg - don't overload this - makes the dish. I leave the potatoes mildly chunky, not fond of the full out puree thing. Reminds me of the instant stuff I ate in college...

Serve with a smattering of fresh parsley atop.

If made perfect, the mashed potatoes don't need gravy.

I admit I've never tried these with an egg.

Last edited:
To me, when someone says "yellow(ish) gravy," I take that to mean chicken gravy.

The made-from-scratch gravy family to me is:

White gravy (cream/milk): on your biscuits in the morning and your chicken-fried steak at night.

Yellow gravy (chicken): on your mashed potatoes when you're having a big plate of your mama's cast iron skillet-fried chicken.

Light brown to dark brown gravy (pork or beef): on your chop or your steak, respectively, and on your mashed potatoes. Also good on steak fries/ chunky chips.

I think we need a gravy thread!

Tried a new twist on mashed potato yesterday, to go with lamb. Boiled and riced potatoes as usual. Wilted a handful of torn up wild garlic leaves in 100g of butter, then added to the potato. It was divine, a bit more subtle than adding garlic butter.

I love mashed spuds but don't mess about with them too much. Boil until cooked then drain and put a tea towel over them to steam dry for about 10 minutes then add twice as much butter as you think you will need, white pepper and salt. I no longer use milk or cream as i like a smooth firm mash. I will very occasionally fry a few rashers of streaky bacon until crisp and then finely chop and stir through. If we have guests I will sprinkle some finely chopped chives on top before serving.

Back
Top Bottom