The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, Has Some Great Recipes

cherokee

Veteran
Local time
3:31 PM
From watching the Food Network a lot, we have discovered the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. She has some really yummy recipes. I have a couple of her cookbooks and they are great. If anyone has not heard of her, she is a former city girl who married a cowboy and now lives on a ranch with him and their kids. She loves to cook and I love watching her cook. She also shows what life is like living on the ranch and I have to admit, I envy her.

Ree does not skimp on the fat content. She is not afraid to use plenty of butter and cream in her recipes. She is my type of girl! I would highly recommend checking out her recipes either in her cookbook or online. She is fun to watch. Has anyone tried out any of her recipes?

I agree. She does have great down home recipes & she writes in a style I appreciate. HOWEVER, I have seen her show on Netflix & I gotta say I am not a fan. I'm not sure if it's the style of the show itself or her personality but I just could not get into it.

I have seen a few of her shows and I also think that she holds her own in the kitchen. She honestly does have good recipes out there however her style of cooking isn't the way I like to cook especially since I am steering away from all the heavy and hearty dishes these days.

I also don't think I have seen a show where she does vegan dishes. Does she?

I have never seen or heard of her. If she does alot of butter in her recipes I would not like to follow her, I have cut back on the butter the fried foods and grease.

I've never seen the Pioneer Woman before but we do have a few cooks of our own who don't skimp on the unhealthy ingredients - the Hairy Bikers immediately spring to mind. I'm not really a fan of greasy and/or heavy dishes though - not so much for the calorific content but because I never feel particularly good after eating them.

I have seen a few of her shows and I also think that she holds her own in the kitchen. She honestly does have good recipes out there however her style of cooking isn't the way I like to cook especially since I am steering away from all the heavy and hearty dishes these days.

If you're looking for vegan options I would suggest Christina Cooks. She makes it a point to incorporate healthy living with healthy eating. I'm a pretty big fan.

Aww thank you JoanMcWench. I have heard of Christina Cooks but haven't really watched any of her shows!
I will definitely seek her out and see what she has in-store for me. This is pretty exciting!

I love the Pioneer Woman. Her blog is so much fun to browse through, and her show makes me want to move my family to a ranch. I have two of her cookbooks and they are completely ear-marked and well used. In fact, this past Christmas every side dish I made came from her cookbooks.

I too love the Pioneer Woman and all of her cooking. I have made a few of her recipes and my finance fell in love with me all over again:thankyou:It was quite funny watching his reaction to a dish I made following her recipe. I enjoy her cooking style, but could not live off of her food or I would probably weigh quite a bit more than I do. Her blog is amazing, it is fun to look through and her writing style is down to earth and fun. I am a huge fan of hers.

Rosyrain, I find myself in the same boat as you! Her food is so delicious but it is definitely not on the 'healthy' list. Then again, living on the ranch as she does, I'm sure she and everyone else in her family gets quite a bit of a workout each day and they don't have to watch their calorie intake so much. By the way, I would love to be a guest on her ranch, even for just one day. It looks so beautiful, doesn't it? Last fall, she posted on her Facebook page a pic and a quick tidbit about traveling to North Texas for one of her kid's soccer tournaments. Turns out she was at the park that I can see from my front yard. In fact, I remember going for a run through that very park on the day of the soccer tournament. She was so close I could've had her over for coffee (but I never did see her)!

I like the Pioneer Woman, but I think her writing is far more interesting than her TV persona. When she writes, Ree seems wry and funny. On TV she comes across to me as giddy and shallow. And her show is just so...staged. I've made one recipe from her first book. I think it was called Ladd's Favorite Sandwich or something like that. It took a whole pound of butter! Now I can understand that cowboys running around a ranch and roping and branding cattle might need the calories, but a woman who only walks a treadmill at the gym when she feels guilty enough to go and who sits at a desk (with momentary ladder climbs) for 10 hours 3 nights a week cannot possibly burn up those calories. And I may be a bit shallow myself here, but I hate those embroidered peasant blouses she wears. Other than that she's just great.

I don't think so, not on a cattle ranch.

I have one of her cookbooks and it's a firm favorite here - I like that she cooks real food. Yes, it's probably not the healthiest stuff if you're eating it every meal (like you said pretty heavy on butter and so forth - quite calorie dense) but everything I've made has been an absolute hit with my family and friends who have eaten what I've made.

I also just love her blog/website she has a lot of recipes up there so you don't necessarily need to purchase the cookbook!

My daughter and I love watching The Pioneer Woman cooking show. I have gotten a number of good ideas for meals and I also check her web page for recipes to try. We really like her pizza dough recipe and I use it several times a month for both pizza and bread sticks either plain, with cheese on them or brushed with garlic butter. I like seeing the goings on at the ranch and how her children are involved in helping with everything that needs done.

I like her show as well, especially when she does the quick recipes. I believe she has 16 minute recipes, or something similar. I always need quick meals, and appreciate that she has good recipes that are tasty and somewhat healthy. Not all of her dishes are heavy, but she does have some geared toward special occasions that might be richer, since they're for celebrations. I also like the homemade takeout type recipes, such as her versions of Chinese food.

Back
Top Bottom