The Science of Sausages

Right. I've reviewed the cooking method and had another go.

These were not pricked and were pan fried in minimal sunflower seed oil on a very low light for around 12 minutes, turning frequently (about every two minutes). Although the difference is noticeable, I don't believe significantly so.

Right. I've reviewed the cooking method and had another go.

These were not pricked and were pan fried in minimal sunflower seed oil on a very low light for around 12 minutes, turning frequently (about every two minutes). Although the difference is noticeable, I don't believe significantly so.

Oh dear! I'm cooking sausages today and will take a snap. I'm beginning to think its the quality of your sausages that could be the problem...

Meanwhile here are some pork sausages I cooked a while ago. I'm guessing this is how you would like them to look? I can't recall what brand they were (not that it would help you as I know you are limited in what you can get in Thailand). The ones I'm cooking today are cheap bog standard Richmond sausages.

Sausages over in Venezuela are either Spanish style - so think chorizo - or German/East European style - think bratwurst , wieners, kielbasa,Debrecziner. The first are either fried or grilled, because they´ve got loads of fat in them. The second (with the exception of the bratwurst) are usually cooked in hot water or beer.
I wouldn´t do sausages in an air frier, anymore than I´d cook a pizza in a microwave:D:D

Oh dear! I'm cooking sausages today and will take a snap. I'm beginning to think its the quality of your sausages that could be the problem...

Meanwhile here are some pork sausages I cooked a while ago. I'm guessing this is how you would like them to look? I can't recall what brand they were (not that it would help you as I know you are limited in what you can get in Thailand). The ones I'm cooking today are cheap bog standard Richmond sausages.

View attachment 83392

I used to love Richmond's sausages!

Yes, that would be my preferred look (although cooked a little more for my taste). However, don't get me wrong, the sausages in question are as good as most that I've obtained here and taste very good. It's only the presentation that confuses me and it's really not a problem as I am the only one eating them.

Probably the best that I have been able to obtain were Mallon's Irish but they were only available for a few weeks in 2015.

These are they pan fried (after pricking) but they were around three times the price of my current supply (probably why they were discontinued).

Sausages over in Venezuela are either Spanish style - so think chorizo - or German/East European style - think bratwurst , wieners, kielbasa,Debrecziner. The first are either fried or grilled, because they´ve got loads of fat in them. The second (with the exception of the bratwurst) are usually cooked in hot water or beer.
I wouldn´t do sausages in an air frier, anymore than I´d cook a pizza in a microwave:D:D

I've only had the air fryer for a few months so I am still experimenting. Cooking chips was the main reason that I bought it but I've been trying other foods also. I've finally cracked cooking half decent chips (considering the potatoes that I can buy).

Bacon works, but I prefer the halogen for bacon as I can get more rashers in that. My experiments with sausages have not been disasters, just the recent ones have looked somewhat unusual as the filling contracts. As far as I know the flavour or juiciness is not affected.

I don't cook anything in the microwave.

I've only had the air fryer for a few months so I am still experimenting. Cooking chips was the main reason that I bought it but I've been trying other foods also. I've finally cracked cooking half decent chips (considering the potatoes that I can buy).

Bacon works, but I prefer the halogen for bacon as I can get more rashers in that. My experiments with sausages have not been disasters, just the recent ones have looked somewhat unusual as the filling contracts. As far as I know the flavour or juiciness is not affected.

I don't cook anything in the microwave.
Never actually seen an air fryer Yorky so not sure if this could factor in, but my gut says yes. The sausages could be under filled, possibly not a good meat/fat ratio and the casings could be excessively thick. Maybe change brands and also try different thickness. The look of those sausages are classic overcooked or a sausage with little fat in the content.

Today's sausage was a pork and leek fat one. Not pricked and cooked slowly in deep (half way up the sides) soybean oil. The skin burst but it usually does with these sausages whether pricked or not and however cooked. It was cooked to my liking and still juicy.

Maybe change brands and also try different thickness.

The one above is the thickest that I buy. Different brands of sausages are few and far between here. Of the ones available there are only two brands of which I like the taste and they are the ones in the images above and however they are cooked does not appear to be detrimental to the taste.

Today's sausage was a pork and leek fat one. Not pricked and cooked slowly in deep (half way up the sides) soybean oil. The skin burst but it usually does with these sausages whether pricked or not and however cooked. It was cooked to my liking and still juicy.

The one above is the thickest that I buy. Different brands of sausages are few and far between here. Of the ones available there are only two brands of which I like the taste and they are the ones in the images above and however they are cooked does not appear to be detrimental to the taste.

That looks much better!

Looks to be a success. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom