The scourge of cheap chicken.

Research "Temple Grandin." She is the one who defined methods for humanely slaughtering cattle. She was born in Boston, Massachusetts and is autistic. She has after achieving her goals, become a livestock consultant and a professor of animal science at Colorado State University.

It would humble you to look her up and if you can, watch the documentary video that was made celebrating her achievements.

One of the biggest problems our 'blue marble' planet faces is human over population. Birth control began to show up in the 70s, but you rarely hear about it these days. Even the pro-life/abortion issues have dwindled from the spot light. Intelligent people, concerned about their finances practice some control over limiting their progenation and so world population increases fastest among the poor and uneducated. Famines, social hardships and genocidal wars are the results. And genocidal warfare is in my mind a precursor to wars of global attrition. We have bigger things to worry about than chicken farming which appears to be a necessary evil to feed our burgeoning populations.

On the other hand, I have an appreciation for wild foods, venison, alligator, ocean, lake and river fish, turtle, crab, etc., etc. They now farm prawns, tilapia and other things and I am disappointed in the flavor. Free range chicken might in this respect be worth the price.

The other issue with farmed livestock, fruits, vegetables and grains is the introduction of hormones, pesticides and other chemical, enzyme and pesticide tinkering. Kids get asthma from strawberry fields. Diabetes is out of control. Child obesity? And we all remember mad cow disease. Psychologically, many people engage in self-abuse with alcohol, cigarettes, dope and other narcotics and their socializing has turned unhealthy in the form of social commiseration. We specialize in our work and careers and are often unable to choose healthy activities for our lifestyles after work. Kids commit suicide because both parents abandon them to school or their own doings, while both work to afford what they think makes their lives livable. Quality is sacrificed to quantity.

Honestly folks, we need to exercise good mental discipline and spiritual health in this world. You don't have to be religious. Self awareness is the heart of spiritual awareness. If you choose foods to preserve your health, take it further and discipline your minds to find quality and virtue in life and avoid succumbing to self abuse and commiseration.

We can't entirely avoid farmed foods and mass processing of chickens and turkeys will happen. I am reminded of the story of a woman who came up with a method of humanely treating cattle as they were processed for slaughter. I can't recall her name, but her methods were at first rejected by the beef industry, especially because she was a woman. But when finally put to action, those methods not only were more humane, but allowed easier processing, savings in time and labor and improvements in quality.

Intellectual application to solving problems is important, perhaps more so to future generations, than our own.
If you can only remember it, you're blind to the fact it's still there. In the US there's areas where the meat isn't to be eaten, clearly marked as such.

The same can be said for Foot and Mouth, it may be 2001 since it hit the headlines, but there's been cases of it every year in the UK since then. They just keep it quiet.

Research "Temple Grandin." She is the one who defined methods for humanely slaughtering cattle. She was born in Boston, Massachusetts and is autistic. She has after achieving her goals, become a livestock consultant and a professor of animal science at Colorado State University.

It would humble you to look her up and if you can, watch the documentary video that was made celebrating her achievements.

Very interesting. I will certainly follow this up. I'm on the verge of being vegan - but I love to cook (and I do mean love), so it would be hard for me to rule out eating certain products.

There is still a difference between free range and organic. I prefer eating organic food wherever possible. Our local supermarket doesn't do much free range or indeed any organic milk.
Of course there's a difference between organic and free range - that's exactly the point I was making. Too many people use the phrases interchangeably when in fact they are very different. Organic is almost always also free range due to the sustainability, ecological and biodiversity principles of organic farming (which I do support). But I think that a lot of the supposed health benefits of organic food are currently scientifically unproven, hence my marketing comment. In the case of milk you could probably assume that any organic milk is also free range - I'm quite surprised that a supermarket has no organic milk though!

In terms of animal welfare its the free range methodology that has the most impact on the animals' lives, that is why we look for free range wherever possible. I suppose in terms of cost its a halfway house between mass-production and organic, but because of that it also has the potential to be more achievable in the mass production market.

Two related things not mentioned here are genetic modification and growth hormones.
Buying organic is actually the only way in the UK to guarantee that meat, dairy and eggs are GM-free......whilst GM foods themselves have to be clearly labelled in the UK, sadly there is no requirement for meat raised on GM animal feed to be labelled :mad:
Luckily growth hormones in meat are currently banned throughout the EU - so whilst cheap chicken is raised in awful conditions with no quality of life, at least its not pumped full of growth hormones. I don't want to get political but I really hope that such restrictions are not lifted after brexit to facilitate trade with other countries.

I won't argue the treatment of chickens mass produced VS free range/organic. I will comment on size and taste. The free range/organic chickens available in my area are much larger than mass produced chickens. There is no comparing the taste. Free range/organic chickens can actually be browned for smothered chicken or chicken and dumplings. The mass produced birds are so full of water that they boil instead of brown. The texture of the meat is also much better in free range/organic chickens.

As in the UK there are very strict guidelines for a product to be labeled free range or organic. There is a family in a neighboring community that that raises organic vegetables and free range/organic chickens. They sell there products at the Farmer's Market every weekend and from their farm on Tuesdays. They also sell to local farm to table restaurants. Their products are amazing. I am all for free range and organic.

My Mother's parents were share croppers. They grew cotton. Pop had a small herd of cattle. He had fields for hay to feed the cattle over winter. MawMaw had chickens, ducks, geese and guinea hens. Her fowl were free range and organic long before such terms were used.

With organic, those restrictions are still pretty broad and not as heavily enforced as you might think.

What about chorinated chicken? Banned at present in Europe, legal in the US.

Interesting, though hardly un-biased :wink:
I do agree with a some of what they say about organic methods, and the article starts well with some scientific facts (though they don't reference the research properly so we can't check them out). But as expected by the end of the article it goes into emotive reasons why we shouldn't consume any dairy.

What about chorinated chicken? Banned at present in Europe, legal in the US.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-us-poultry-is-banned-in-the-eu-a7875131.html
In short: chlorine washing isn't necessarily bad for us. There are no legislated animal welfare standards in the US so poultry farmers can cram as many chickens in the shed as they want, which increases the likelihood of disease and contamination so a chlorine wash is used to address this. The EU mandates certain basic welfare standards (space, light, ventilation) that reduce the risks of disease and takes a more holistic approach to hygiene so the ban on chlorine washed chicken is more about encouraging good practices farm-to-fork than anything else. There are a couple of other interesting points, but that's the main gist of it.

I'm quite surprised that a supermarket has no organic milk though.
Apparently some of the larger supermarkets have recently started selling organic milk. However, it is homogenised, and I cannot tolerate it. On the odd occasion that I have had it, I've found the taste to be awful. I drink good old-fashioned organic silver top milk. There is only one supermarket which sells it in my area (Waitrose) but it is a 4-6 bus journey from my house, or 3/4 hour there and back by car plus extra time to find a parking space. However, the milkman does it (3 pints of milk from him a week) and so does the place I get my organic meat, veg and fruit from (3 litres a week from them).

Interesting, though hardly un-biased :wink:
I do agree with a some of what they say about organic methods, and the article starts well with some scientific facts (though they don't reference the research properly so we can't check them out). But as expected by the end of the article it goes into emotive reasons why we shouldn't consume any dairy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-us-poultry-is-banned-in-the-eu-a7875131.html
In short: chlorine washing isn't necessarily bad for us. There are no legislated animal welfare standards in the US so poultry farmers can cram as many chickens in the shed as they want, which increases the likelihood of disease and contamination so a chlorine wash is used to address this. The EU mandates certain basic welfare standards (space, light, ventilation) that reduce the risks of disease and takes a more holistic approach to hygiene so the ban on chlorine washed chicken is more about encouraging good practices farm-to-fork than anything else. There are a couple of other interesting points, but that's the main gist of it.
Point being there will be a change in where the chickens are sourced. In this case a country that uses a method illegal in the UK. And likely to remain illegal, but not for imports.

Point being there will be a change in where the chickens are sourced. In this case a country that uses a method illegal in the UK. And likely to remain illegal, but not for imports.
Yes its possible - and there won't be any way for consumers to tell whether the chicken was washed first or not :mad: we'll just have to make assumptions based on country of origin.

One the things concerning me about what will happen when we leave the EU is what will happen to our food. For all its faults, the EU has implemented some good laws around food production and labelling.....I really hope we don't throw them all out the window.

Yes its possible - and there won't be any way for consumers to tell whether the chicken was washed first or not :mad: we'll just have to make assumptions based on country of origin.

One the things concerning me about what will happen when we leave the EU is what will happen to our food. For all its faults, the EU has implemented some good laws around food production and labelling.....I really hope we don't throw them all out the window.
And been made accept lower standards as well. It's a double edge sword.

The most worrying thing about this (and a large number of other Brexit related issues) is that we are getting closer and closer to the deadline and there are simply no policies in place or even under proper discussion.

I grow a lot of the vegetables we use most. Several years ago I started using only heirloom seeds or starter plants. No hybridized and definitely no GMO. There are several area Farmer's Markets. One is strictly organic. Organic, free range chickens, eggs and beef are readily available. There are a couple of draw backs. Non hybridized veggies are not virus and disease resistant - a problem especially with tomatoes and other Nightshades. Availability is seasonal. There are only a couple of local, organic growers with green house crops.

Baby brother has a small greenhouse so he has summer veggies year round.

You can not depend on government regulations to protect you food sources. Whenever possible grow your own or buy from reputable, local growers. Obviously not possible for everyone. If we lived in the country I would definitely raise poultry.

The most worrying thing about this (and a large number of other Brexit related issues) is that we are getting closer and closer to the deadline and there are simply no policies in place or even under proper discussion.
They did say at one point that the were going to keep the EU rules about food - they'd have to if we do have a trade agreement as the EU imports a lot of British food. They also said that our rules about food are more stringent than a lot of the EU ones. When I looked at the labels of some of the fresh fruit and veg I have bought on the odd occasion from Tesco, a lot of it comes from India and Africa. As some of these are the last foods you would associate with these countries (green beans come immediately to mind), it really makes you wonder anyway. Some of the organic food I buy also comes from all over the world, but some of the farms belong to the Riverford co-operative, some farms actually are owned by Riverford, and others are ones that they have an arrangement with.

Back
Top Bottom