The scourge of cheap chicken.

On the subject of imports. Chinese Crawfish are a bane to our local economy. A while back one of G's buds was bragging about a wonderful deal he got on frog legs. I called the store to inquire about availability. The first thing the market manager told me was that the frog legs were from China. NOT :yuck:

On the subject of imports. Chinese Crawfish are a bane to our local economy. A while back one of G's buds was bragging about a wonderful deal he got on frog legs. I called the store to inquire about availability. The first thing the market manager told me was that the frog legs were from China. NOT :yuck:
I've just looked on the Tesco website. The first thing I came across in the fresh food section was (one own brand of)apples, "produce of United Kingdom, Argentina, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain", others come from the US. The last lot of green beans I bought form there came from central Africa. The poultry I have in the freezer comes mainly from the UK, but one of the ducks was Hungarian. Whilst Hungary is an EU country, the duck is not of the quality I would expect, and the same applies to their fresh meat.

I pay attention to labels. I am bothered by the term "Distributed By" some US company but no country of origin. :hyper:
Me too, especially when they say "produced for" or "packed in the UK" with no country of origin. Some US canned foods I have in my cupboard don't have a best before date either (not that I take much notice of it even when there is one). Is that usual?

What I have noticed though, particularly with frozen food, is that they are starting to stamp the date the food is frozen on some of the packs. Years ago I worked for a food importer, and they told us that some people would be mortified if they knew how long the frozen food they bought had been in a commercial freezer before it was sold.

The same can be said for Foot and Mouth, it may be 2001 since it hit the headlines, but there's been cases of it every year in the UK since then. They just keep it quiet.
I remember that well. The farm where it was first discovered is well known to me as it is not far from the greyhound vet I use; in fact we were in the first exclusion zone. The last outbreak of foot and mouth to hit the news was in 2007 in Surrey, but, although herds are usually culled, most outbreaks are too localised and quickly contained so are not mentioned. Foot and mouth affects food production and although it cannot be cured most animals recover naturally. It does not normally affect humans. The last case of a human having the symptoms was about 50 years ago.

With organic, those restrictions are still pretty broad and not as heavily enforced as you might think.
Coincidentally, this morning there was a link on a news article I was reading to the latest USDA rules for organic foods. The difference between the FSA (i.e. UK) rules and those of the USDA are vast. In fact some of the US ones are quite frightening and refer to farming methods that are banned in the UK for any food production, let alone organic.

Karen and I were shopping at a Restaurant Depot. She spotted some frozen crawfish tails that were boldly marked "Breaux Bridge". Upon close inspection, the fine print read, Product of China. My guess is they ship the tails to Breaux Bridge where they are repackaged.

Karen and I were shopping at a Restaurant Depot. She spotted some frozen crawfish tails that were boldly marked "Breaux Bridge". Upon close inspection, the fine print read, Product of China. My guess is they ship the tails to Breaux Bridge where they are repackaged.
Some of the supermarkets in the UK have given their cheap, value ranges beautiful new names such as "Willow Farm" etc. conjuring up images of the British countryside. The ranges are almost guaranteed not to come from anywhere in the UK or the EU for that matter. Although they are cheap and cheerful a lot of people depend on buying cheaply these days. I must admit though that sometimes the quality is better than the expensive stuff.

Some of the supermarkets in the UK have given their cheap, value ranges beautiful new names such as "Willow Farm" etc. conjuring up images of the British countryside. The ranges are almost guaranteed not to come from anywhere in the UK or the EU for that matter. Although they are cheap and cheerful a lot of people depend on buying cheaply these days. I must admit though that sometimes the quality is better than the expensive stuff.
Breaux Bridge, LA is well known for crawfish. Did you ever watch the movie "Kate and Leopold"? Her marketing company got Leopold to be the spokes person for "Farmer's Bounty", until he actually tasted it.

This is an example of the free range "racing" chickens here. Unlikely to get a decent meal for one out of this one.

racing chicken.jpg

I remember that well. The farm where it was first discovered is well known to me as it is not far from the greyhound vet I use; in fact we were in the first exclusion zone. The last outbreak of foot and mouth to hit the news was in 2007 in Surrey, but, although herds are usually culled, most outbreaks are too localised and quickly contained so are not mentioned. Foot and mouth affects food production and although it cannot be cured most animals recover naturally. It does not normally affect humans. The last case of a human having the symptoms was about 50 years ago.
Manchester last year(2017), with people treated for the symptoms.

There is a Cajun song about scouring the country side, on horseback, looking for ingredients to make a gumbo for Mardi Gras. That chicken reminds me of the scrawny chicken in the song.:ohmy:

Actually, albeit a little tough, it is tasty. It's just that you need a few to constitute a mouthful.

Cambodian "microwave" chicken:

microwave chicken.jpg

Back
Top Bottom