The Sleep Thread

That must be awful at times!
It's awful most of the time. I had to get up earlyish this morning because I was expecting a food delivery and a parcel. By 1.30 pm I was sound asleep. I woke up at 5.20. Now it's midnight and I can barely stay awake. I hate going to the cinema or theatre because I'm just as likely to fall asleep halfway through the show, and I record anything I want to watch on TV just in case. It's worse if I am driving; I often have to pull over for a nap or, sometimes, a four hour sleep. They thought it was narcolepsy at first, until they realised there was a fairly regular pattern to it all.

It's awful most of the time. I had to get up earlyish this morning because I was expecting a food delivery and a parcel. By 1.30 pm I was sound asleep. I woke up at 5.20. Now it's midnight and I can barely stay awake. I hate going to the cinema or theatre because I'm just as likely to fall asleep halfway through the show, and I record anything I want to watch on TV just in case. It's worse if I am driving; I often have to pull over for a nap or, sometimes, a four hour sleep. They thought it was narcolepsy at first, until they realised there was a fairly regular pattern to it all.

That must be terrible, I could get in my car now and drive the 18 hour to drive to Auckland and not bat an eyelid. I love driving.

Russ

I'm beginning to wonder whether it would be cheaper to ditch the car and go everywhere locally by bus and further afield by taxi, by the time road tax, insurance, and petrol is taken into consideration.

I once did that when I lived in Aldershot and worked in Farnham - taxi to and from work every day. Wonderfully hassle free!

I once did that when I lived in Aldershot and worked in Farnham - taxi to and from work every day. Wonderfully hassle free!
The only problem round here would be trying to get a cab in the first place; they don't like long distances either. We had a hell of a job getting a cab once from Victoria Station to Hornchurch and ended up going to each cab in turn until we found one willing to take us - and we had to give him directions for the last few miles.

The only problem round here would be trying to get a cab in the first place; they don't like long distances either. We had a hell of a job getting a cab once from Victoria Station to Hornchurch and ended up going to each cab in turn until we found one willing to take us - and we had to give him directions for the last few miles.

We have uber here, you???

Russ

This morning we were both wide awake at 6am! I could not settle so I got up about 7, fed the cat then made 2 mugs of tea. I find that at weekends we have a mug of tea whilst in bed and it relaxes me down so that is why I made tea this morning. Settled back into bed, drank my tea then laid down. When I opened my eyes my husband wasn't next to me so I checked the time on my phone ..11am.... I got up but could quite happily have stayed in all day :tired:

Well, I'm a morning person, that's for sure. I also prefer about 8-9 hours of sleep, but I used to be able to get by on less.

When I was a kid, my dad had a rule that no one could sleep past 6AM. If you were in bed at 6AM, he'd wake you with a splash of cold water, blast from a fox horn, or getting tipped out of bed. As such, I have zero need for an alarm clock. My internal body clock is so attuned, I can tell myself the night before that I need to be up at 5AM, and I'll wake up at 4:50AM.

When I wake up, I'm not groggy. I'm 100% alert before my feet ever hit the floor. I also can't stand to linger in bed or sleep during the day.

My normal hours, even weekends, are to be in bed between 9:30PM-10PM, and up between 5:30AM-6AM. Mornings are my favorite time of day.

I do wake up a few times throughout the night, and as weird as it sounds, I much prefer that to sleeping straight through. When I sleep straight through, I wake up and feel like, "Hey, I just went to bed! I haven't slept at all!"

Waking up a few times, I can see the clock and think, "1:30AM...four more hours of sleep! Yes!"

I did, for years, put up with sleep paralysis, which isn't that uncommon, but my episodes were pretty intense at times. Now, I make sure to never ever under any circumstances whatsoever fall asleep on my back, and that's reduced my episodes from two or three a week to two or three a year.

My wife got me a heavy blanket (it weighs 25 pounds, nearly two stone) and I love that. I used to achieve the same effect with multiple blankets.

Sleep paralysis is where you get caught/stuck in the process of waking. Your body is still asleep, but your mind and your perception are a little farther along, so you're sort of aware that you're awake, but you can't move anything.

That alone is unsettling enough, but because your consciousness is still a bit in a sleeping state, you're highly suggestive, and something like the coat tree in the corner can easily become an intruder in your mind, or a noise like the furnace kicking on might sound like an airplane about to crash in your house. Couple that with not being able to move, and it's downright terrifying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Sleep paralysis is where you get caught/stuck in the process of waking. Your body is still asleep, but your mind and your perception are a little farther along, so you're sort of aware that you're awake, but you can't move anything.

That alone is unsettling enough, but because your consciousness is still a bit in a sleeping state, you're highly suggestive, and something like the coat tree in the corner can easily become an intruder in your mind, or a noise like the furnace kicking on might sound like an airplane about to crash in your house. Couple that with not being able to move, and it's downright terrifying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Oh my! I don't think that ever happened to me. Lucid dreaming however...

Back
Top Bottom