The Sleep Thread

Sleep paralysis is where you get caught/stuck in the process of waking. Your body is still asleep, but your mind and your perception are a little farther along, so you're sort of aware that you're awake, but you can't move anything.

That alone is unsettling enough, but because your consciousness is still a bit in a sleeping state, you're highly suggestive, and something like the coat tree in the corner can easily become an intruder in your mind, or a noise like the furnace kicking on might sound like an airplane about to crash in your house. Couple that with not being able to move, and it's downright terrifying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Sounds familiar, think I may have had that a couple of times :unsure:

When I first mentioned it, tentatively, to my doctor when I was in my 20's (I thought I had some kind of mental illness going on), I asked why it was always something bad that happens, like my mind would always imagine an intruder or a ghost or something like that.

He said, "Maybe sometimes it's good, who knows, but would you go complaining to your doctor if Michelle Pffeifer were climbing through your window every night?" :hyper:

When I first mentioned it, tentatively, to my doctor when I was in my 20's (I thought I had some kind of mental illness going on), I asked why it was always something bad that happens, like my mind would always imagine an intruder or a ghost or something like that.

He said, "Maybe sometimes it's good, who knows, but would you go complaining to your doctor if Michelle Pffeifer were climbing through your window every night?" :hyper:

:laugh:

My wife was talking to a coworker the other day and just had to tell me about her coworkers mum. Her mum wakes her hubby up if she needs to get up and wee. Every time during the night. It seems she has a fear that something will happen to her and no one will know. She's been like it her whole life. She even used to pay her kids to stay at home with her if her husband was out or late home from work. I've never heard anything like it?

Russ

My wife was talking to a coworker the other day and just had to tell me about her coworkers mum. Her mum wakes her hubby up if she needs to get up and wee. Every time during the night. It seems she has a fear that something will happen to her and no one will know. She's been like it her whole life. She even used to pay her kids to stay at home with her if her husband was out or late home from work. I've never heard anything like it?

Russ

Very odd!

Sunday night my brain was racing so last evening I wrote a list of things that I have to do/stuff coming up over the next few days so that I can tick them off 1 by 1 and not have to think about them, great idea in theory but in reality it didn't work :headshake: :tired::tired:

My body woke me at 4am this morning. The house was too cold. Sure enough, a trip to the sitting room confirmed that on one of the coldest nights for a while, the fire had gone out. Brrrrr. It's chilly without one. It's now 5am, I'm starting to warm up slowly. The fires re-lit (words will be said to hubby) and in the middle of all of this the battery for the (only) smoke detector decides to fail. I managed to pull the detector off the ceiling whilst trying to get into it, raw plugs and all... and we've no new 9v batteries either...
Hardly seems much point in going back to bed now. Hubby gets up in 15 minutes (5:30am) and myself on 45mins (6am)...

in the middle of all of this the battery for the (only) smoke detector decides to fail.

I hate when that happens! Why do they never fail during the day?!

We have one permanently dismantled because I think the wiring to the unit is bad. No matter how many we swap out, that one fails, and always at some godawful hour.

Honestly, smoke detectors should have a setting that says, "Alert of dead battery/unit failure between 6AM-10PM," configurable to each user's situation.

Really, when an alarm craps out at 2AM, who's going to get up, find the step-stool, open the alarm up, take out the battery, find a new battery, install it, and put it all back together? No one.

Instead, they're going to do what I do, which is yank it off the ceiling in anger and frustration, then throw it out into the garage, because even disconnected, the stupid things keep chirping, and then deal with it the next day anyway.

Yep, my theory for it failing at 4 am in the morning is that it's the coldest part of the day and it's taken it's toll on the battery. Hubby informed me just now that he had a text from the company that installed it yesterday (text yesterday) saying they'd like to come round and check it. (We're in a rental. )... timing. Technically we're not meant to touch it... thankfully out rarely ever goes off...

Which reminds me of when I was a teenager and smoke alarms had first came into being.

It was the middle of the night and I was woken by my (now ex) step father. He was creeping around the house with a torch. Anyone coming up the stairs (2nd flight, 3 storey (plus cellar) old Victorian house) always woke me, especially if they were trying to be quiet. After a few minutes of hearing him on the landing outside my room, he came into my room shining the torch around. I asked him what he was doing and he told me he was looking for the fire... I tactlessly pointed out that he'd smell the smoke first, that there was every chance he'd see the light flickering (in the middle of the night with no lights on) and that the smoke alarm wasn't going off.

We had multiple ones around the house but just one on the very top floor where I slept. He told me hear could hear the alarm... it was bleeping 1 short bleep every minute... tact isn't my best skill. I say it as it is... The alarm outside of their room on the middle floor had a flat battery... I tactlessly suggested that if it was actually a fire, the alarm would be a touch louder for starters. It had only woken the 2 lightest sleepers in the house. I'd been woken by it about an hour earlier but it not being on my floor and with the silly height of Victorian ceilings, not being able to reach it without step ladders which were in the cellar, I'd just turned over and tried to go back to sleep. My ex-step father... at least he tried I suppose

I hate when that happens! Why do they never fail during the day?!

We have one permanently dismantled because I think the wiring to the unit is bad. No matter how many we swap out, that one fails, and always at some godawful hour.

Honestly, smoke detectors should have a setting that says, "Alert of dead battery/unit failure between 6AM-10PM," configurable to each user's situation.

Really, when an alarm craps out at 2AM, who's going to get up, find the step-stool, open the alarm up, take out the battery, find a new battery, install it, and put it all back together? No one.

Instead, they're going to do what I do, which is yank it off the ceiling in anger and frustration, then throw it out into the garage, because even disconnected, the stupid things keep chirping, and then deal with it the next day anyway.

Snap on the alarm battery at 4 am. Smoke alarms changed on the shortest day, or is it the longest day, wife always reminds me,lol.

Russ

Snap on the alarm battery at 4 am. Smoke alarms changed on the shortest day, or is it the longest day, wife always reminds me,lol.

Russ
Part of our rental agreement is that we're not meant to touch the smoke alarm and that if anything goes wrong with it, we should ring tbe rental agency for them to arrange for it to be serviced! In other words, someone is going to drive away least an hour each way to come and change the battery in my single smoke alarm!

Part of our rental agreement is that we're not meant to touch the smoke alarm and that if anything goes wrong with it, we should ring tbe rental agency for them to arrange for it to be serviced! In other words, someone is going to drive away least an hour each way to come and change the battery in my single smoke alarm!

That's absolutely crazy. I remember years ago I got a call from a customer in hokitika 3 hrs away. He wanted a bearing for his gold screen, I drove the 6 hr trip nonstop. Mind you I charged him plenty. He didn't care, he needed that bearing.lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom