The slow cooker revolution. Are you on board?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:58 PM
There's a culinary revolution taking place and it's not in a hurry. Like many things from the 1970s, slow cookers are back in fashion with some retailers reporting sales up by a third in recent years. Driven by the trend for slow-cooked meats such as pulled pork, and their general cost effectiveness, the kitchen gadgets are making their case for an essential piece of kit. source: BBC news

Now I don't know about you, but I've been using mine (on and off) since...well, the 70's! But I must admit to using it rather more of late. Its great for cheap cuts of meat. Although, as has been noted by others, there is an unfortunate tendency for everything to come out looking a uniform brown! How often do you use you slow-cooker? Do you possess one? What kind of things do you cook in it?

A potted history
In 1936, inventor Irving Naxon applied for a patent for a cooking device in the US that was portable and would heat food evenly. He started selling his device, the Naxon Beanery, in the 1950s. In 1970, Rival Manufacturing acquired Naxon and, in 1972, the Beanery was rebranded as the Crock-Pot - the name slow cookers are still known by in the US.

Sales exploded in the 1970s as women began to enter the workforce. Slow cookers allowed them to be at work all day and still produce a meal for the family. At the height of the gadget's popularity, about 40 different companies were making their own version but the market began to cool in the 1980s, at around the time microwave ovens surged in popularity. Read more here.

Last edited:
All that's needed now is the correct history included.They were around long before electric!

Same story does the rounds every few years.

I don't have a slow cooker but my Mum had one, I remember. She used to do beef stews with carrots. Perhaps I should get one so I can cook stuff while I'm at work.

All that's needed now is the correct history included.They were around long before electric!

Same story does the rounds every few years.
Yep, I know. But I think maybe there is a bit of a resurgence. I've noticed more slow cook recipes on TV cooking shows. I reckon we should bring back the microwave and make it the new trend!

As for the history, I guess you refer to burying pots in embers or in pits?

More whose name is behind the kitchen appilance than food really then.

And no need to go burying pots in embers either. The non electrical counterpart still sells today.

In answer to your question, yes I use my slow cookers plural.
There are actually two types. The Crock Pot which has a crockpot vessel and a slow cooker that has a metal vessel that can also be used on the stove or in the oven. Two different styles of cooking too.

And I think classic means you can still buy a crockery pot for cooking on the stove or in a campfire.
And "Crock-Pot" is actually Rival's brand name for their slow cookers.

Lodge 5-qt cast iron Dutch Oven..jpg
Presto Big Kitchen Kettle_.jpg

Good article!!

Long before electric slow cookers were introduce at all, there was THIS item on the left, which became a true staple in the kitchen. It had worked tirelessly, producing succulent slow-cooked pot roast & Boston Baked Beans! It is still a favorite today! I have slow cooked many a pot roast in it, as well as making slow cooked spaghetti sauce in it

The electric pot on the right is also a slow cooker, as well as being very versatile for other things. I have them both! :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom