The sock thread

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:31 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
But I have finally finished my second ever set of colourwork socks. Both socks had major modifications make to their patterns to make them fit. (I've only knit 1 other piece of colourwork previously)

Set 1

Set 2

Won't mean much to most people but one or two might understand.

They are really lovely. What type of yarn?
Aussie merino for both. The top one is from a heritage woolen mill and the bottom one from a Tassie indie dyer (with reasonable prices and who does mini skeins (so 20g rather than 100g in a ball) for the same price as a a full skein divided by 5. Most usually add many $$ to the cost of a mini skein so I don't often purchase mini skeins but I wasn't sure on shades. Annoyingly I used 85meters of the lavender for the pair because I did the toes in it. It's 80m per mini skein!

Do people actually still use "socks"?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yep, everyone I know wears socks. I'm hoping that's the "use" you're referring to. I was different seasons of socks now as well. There's the really warm ones for the cold winter days (8ply thick socks or hiking socks). I've got bed socks and house socks for similar.... then there are the regular 4ply socks, not lace for spring and Autumn, and then there are the warmer weather socks for when it's too cold to go without but you really don't need the full warmth of normal spring/Autumn socks... they are the decorative lace socks.... guess that's the advantage of knitting your own!

Hubby complains that it takes ages to peg my socks out to dry... I point out that he wears exactly the same number of socks as I do, but his get washed in the regular washing. I wash the woolens all together when I've enough for a full load. I'm also knitting socks for others now as well. Not often but occasionally. Though right now, I'm knitting a warmer weather cardigan because since I've lost a lot of weight, my body has stopped feeling cold all the time and is instead like a furnace.... And my current cardigans are all too warm (those that I haven't given away because they are too big for me).

So I'm starting to make complicated decorative items that take longer... I can't sit down in the evenings and do nothing. It's never been in my nature. My hands have to be doing something whilst we watch tv in the evenings...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear socks but I'm the only retired Westerner I know here who does. Most folks wear flip-flops but flip-flops have always been alien to me so I wear slip on shoes (with socks). Whatever the season I also wear socks around the house as substitutes for slippers. The soles of my feet are very sensitive.

My sock-wearing habits are if I’m leaving the house, I have socks on, if I’m outside working, socks on. If I’m in the house, barefoot.

I love socks. I’ve got a couple hundred pair that I rotate through.

My sock-wearing habits are if I’m leaving the house, I have socks on, if I’m outside working, socks on. If I’m in the house, barefoot.

I love socks. I’ve got a couple hundred pair that I rotate through.

Do you have carpets, wood or tiles in the house?

I wear socks but I'm the only retired Westerner I know here who does. Most folks wear flip-flops but flip-flops have always been alien to me so I wear slip on shoes (with socks). Whatever the season I also wear socks around the house as substitutes for slippers. The soles of my feet are very sensitive.

I don't like to wear socks and rarely do. I wear sandals in warmer months (so no socks needed) and tights in cooler months. If I wear jeans/trousers with trainers then its often 'chopped to ankle length' opaque tights as I find that more comfortable than socks.

Last edited:
Remember that (usually) I live in the tropics.
Just looking at a sock makes my feet perspire, so I walk around in crocs, or barefoot.
All the floors in my house are either marble composite, polished wood or ceramic, and the patio just outside the house is stone slabs, so they tend to stay cool.
I´ve got about 20 pairs of socks - and they´re all over 20 years old; purchased when I used to be a Corporate Suit.

I knew I had this photo somewhere ...

IMG_5278.JPG

My Mother gave me these for Christmas a few years back (their store bought).
They were made even warmer with another pair of socks worn inside.
We have all Ceramic Tile floors through the house and in the Winter they can get mightily cold.

Back
Top Bottom