The Spiciest Part of a Fresh Chilli Pepper

What is the spiciest part of a fresh chilli pepper?

• The outer skin?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorky

Uncomfortably numb
Local time
5:19 PM
Website
freebeerforyorky.com
Whist preparing a few chillis for my pizza today I was reminded of the ongoing discussions that have ensued regarding the spiciest part of the fresh chilli pepper. (I'm guessing that the numerous types of fresh chillis are similar in this respect). Personally when using fresh chillis I do not remove anything except the green stalk so I've no idea of the definitive answer but I would be interested in the findings (or opinions) of others.

Local time
6:19 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
When I'm trying to cool down a dish that involves peppers, I exclude the seeds and the pith. I picked seeds because I suspected that the pith absorbed the heat from the seeds. But, after doing some research, it seems that the pith is the spiciest part of the pepper. The great news here is that I don't need to try to get every last seed out when I want to lower the temperature: I just need to trim out the pith.

ElizabethB

Veteran
Local time
5:19 AM
I am not a pepper head. I like peppers for the flavor not the heat. I am growing Sweet Banana Peppers and assorted bells green, red, purple and yellow. I like Anaheim and Poblano for stuffing. I use jalapenos most. Just enough heat and lots of flavor. I do have a nod to hotter peppers with a Serrano plant and a Dragon Cayenne. I use the Serrano sparingly and usually dry the cayenne. You will not find me near hotter chilis.

rascal

Guru
Local time
10:19 PM
I'm not big on heat, but kids are, we grow and freeze red, green and yellow chillies. Under my requests my wife freezes 10 with pith and seeds removed with 2 with the stem green bit off, but seeds intact. That's my Thai chilly paste strength , my heat likeness. But I also serve up chopped chillies for my guests so they can add heat.
My Indian curries I put whole chopped chillies in ( 1 or 2)

Russ

Top Bottom