The Sunday Newspaper. Anyone still read it?

I think the last time I bought the Times, I was reading the Want Ad section. I never did figure out what a Key Punch Operator was. Enjoyed the crossword puzzle, and the Fall Fashion editions -- spreading it out on the avocado or chocolate brown thick shag carpeting while munching on lox, bagels, cream cheese & jelly donuts on a Sunday.

P.S. They're practically banning plastic straws here.
Growing up my friends mom was a keypunch operator.
We visited her work and it was the sledgehammers of hell. Soul shattering Noisy beyond reason.

I miss reading the trade papers when I got to work. The Hollywood Reporter and Variety, for folks in the "biz." Read Army Archerd's and Bob Osborne's columns. Sadly, Osborne is gone. Not sure about Archerd (sp?).

Did someone say "pub?"

These were taken last year in The Cotswolds and this year in Suffolk.

This one is The Angel Inn in Stoke-By-Nayland. We went there five times over seven days; for drinks, for supper, for Sunday lunch, for anniversary supper, and for breakfast.

View attachment 31400

This is from Wyton (Houghton-And-Wyton. This pub was my local in 1993 and 1994. Oddly, the 20-something-year-old barkeep didn't remember me :) (that's me walking in):
View attachment 31401

This pub is in Cockleford, just outside Cheltenham. That's my wife standing in the window:
View attachment 31402

This is in either Lavenham, Cavendish, or Clare (I can't remember):
View attachment 31403

This was my local from 1992-94:
View attachment 31404

...and here I am sitting inside that pub. See how thrilled I am to be on holiday?!
View attachment 31405

Also, my profile pic was taken while sitting in a pub, though I don't remember which one (so many pubs).
WOW!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

We get papers here as well, but I've never been one for Sunday papers. I find the net has everything up before the paper comes out. Our paper has halved in size compared to the big paper we used to get. My wife brings home " the press" every day for me to read at night. It takes me about 3 to 5 mins.

Ps, I miss doing cryptic crosswords, I pommy guy I worked with got me onto them. He was a very funny guy, from Birmingham. I'm still in touch with him after more than 30 years.

Pubs, I loved going into English pubs when I'm over there. The low ceilings because of the shorter people hundreds of years ago. And the people love talking to kiwis.

Russ

Did someone say "pub?"

These were taken last year in The Cotswolds and this year in Suffolk.

This one is The Angel Inn in Stoke-By-Nayland. We went there five times over seven days; for drinks, for supper, for Sunday lunch, for anniversary supper, and for breakfast.

View attachment 31400

This is from Wyton (Houghton-And-Wyton. This pub was my local in 1993 and 1994. Oddly, the 20-something-year-old barkeep didn't remember me :) (that's me walking in):
View attachment 31401

This pub is in Cockleford, just outside Cheltenham. That's my wife standing in the window:
View attachment 31402

This is in either Lavenham, Cavendish, or Clare (I can't remember):
View attachment 31403

This was my local from 1992-94:
View attachment 31404

...and here I am sitting inside that pub. See how thrilled I am to be on holiday?!
View attachment 31405

Also, my profile pic was taken while sitting in a pub, though I don't remember which one (so many pubs).

A good pub is a great place to visit and relax :thumbsup:

That's Cavendish.
Thanks. On that day, it was a "whirlwind tour" of the three towns, and they kind of blended together, especially Clare and Cavendish.

I do remember there were lots of flowers out on the streets and I took a lot of pics of those.

One pub I didn't include was in Lavenham...I don't remember the name, but very modern, lots of chrome and glass inside, kind of a Scandinavian decor, sourpuss server, and a group of Americans who, as soon as they figured out we were American as well, wanted to blab and blab and blab about their vacation. Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but we didn't travel 3,000 miles to talk to a bunch of Americans!
A good pub is a great place to visit and relax :thumbsup:
Whenever we go to the UK, that's where we spend at least half our time, sitting in a pub. We've had some of our best "adventures" in pubs!

I miss reading the trade papers when I got to work. The Hollywood Reporter and Variety, for folks in the "biz." Read Army Archerd's and Bob Osborne's columns. Sadly, Osborne is gone. Not sure about Archerd (sp?).

I still read Variety online. They do a good job.
In the old print days their was a daily local edition for the TMZ and NYC.
Still informative and current today of what’s going on and cool things to look forward to.
They’ll occasionally “print” the bare, butt naked truth way ahead of the mainstream media.

Our little local paper is the Acorn. It’s growing. Used to just be one of those toss away, ad filled, soaked-in-the-rain flyers.

Robert Osborn sure is missed. He warmly presented a movie and could pull in viewers interest on TCM. It was Lucille Ball that encouraged Osborn to enter into a career in journalism.

He’s been replaced by chip-on-his-shoulder Ben Mankiewicz who is good It it too. Mankiewicz family is spread out wide in Hollywood's history and still is embedded throughout Hollywood today. I like his thug, Sean Penns evil little brother delivery style.

Last edited:
No. I can get all the news I want on my cell phone. I get the weekly specials at our grocery store in an email or app

Back
Top Bottom