The wonderful taste and versatility of dried mushrooms.

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
8:37 AM
Most of us probably know that reconstituted with boiled water they produce a dark strong meaty stock.
For beef daube's, I powder them in a grinder and add to the flour I dust the meat with before browning.
Meat loaf, I always add breadcrumbs and mushroom powder.
Cheats wild mushroom and truffle omelette, dust the open face before folding.
Add to the pastry and bechamel for one of my all time favorite finger foods, wild mushroom vol au vents.
Add to the flour for pate brisee lift a savoury tarte.
Burgers etc etc
Let your culinary mind run riot with powdered dried mushrooms.

We get fresh daily, there's a factory about 15 mins drive away. Meadow mushrooms.
I love the white button ones. Never had dried, prolly never will. I'm having a fry up tomorrow, it will contain fried shrooms.

Russ

In season wild mushrooms are plentiful and cheap in the green markets. A lot of people forage for them. A big seller here is the kitchen dehydrator. Rock your socks mate and buy a bag !

In season wild mushrooms are plentiful and cheap in the green markets. A lot of people forage for them. A big seller here is the kitchen dehydrator. Rock your socks mate and buy a bag !

As kids we grew up,near lots if paddocks,that had mushrooms, we used to pick and sell tothe local vege shop. Good cash flow for a 11 or 12 yo. If I see some I will try.

Russ

Never had dried, prolly never will.

They are entirely different from fresh. It not a question of fresh is better but simply different. They are much stronger and full of umami flavour. As Burt Blank says, they are great for seasoning. I grind them in a spice grinder to a powder and keep in a small jar to add to casseroles etc. I also use them whole and reconstituted in some dishes.

For dried, I prefer Morels, Chantrelles, Oysters and Truffles. I have not yet, but might venture to try certain rather expensive wood mushrooms like "Hen of the Woods."

Back
Top Bottom