The world’s obsession with cheese

i totally believe that a lot of cooks hide their mistakes by simply filling it with cheese
after all if has cheese how can it be bad right .......wrong !!!!!
Cheese has been abused and misused in North American cooking.

yea i guess i am when i order a hamburger and get a cheese burger !!!!
which is almost everytime i order a hamburger
My gripe exactly
If I order a burger, I want a burger. Not one with cheese.
Esp as the description does not mention cheese.
It's gone so far that I point out "no cheese" on my order for burger or omelette (like, please can I have a bacon onion tomato omelette. No cheese!)
I love travelling SE Asia as there is no cheese on anything.
Disclaimer: I will eat cheese, properly melted, on pizza and toasted sandwiches. But to me, it has no place in other dishes and definitely not if it is not in the description of the dish

I think he has a point that how cheese is celebrated is kind of a perversion. But... I would say there're many things like soccer that went out of control from a stoic/altruistic perspective. Altruistic means for the greater good of all humans, like clean air, but in many parts of our lives philosophy doesn't know if the happiness of one person is actually better for mankind than believing you have to suffer and decline all the cheese you like for the sake of other people. I'm pro cheese as long as I can be happy

the cheese craze has reached the point that i don't think many people even know what most foods actully taste like because of the amount of cheese on everything, think of it this way what if everything you ate had a scoop of ice cream on it or mixed in with it, you would never know what the food you were eating actully tasted like , sure a scoop of ice cream tastes great on a piece of pie but you wouldn't want it on everything

the cheese craze has reached the point that i don't think many people even know what most foods actully taste like because of the amount of cheese on everything, think of it this way what if everything you ate had a scoop of ice cream on it or mixed in with it, you would never know what the food you were eating actully tasted like , sure a scoop of ice cream tastes great on a piece of pie but you wouldn't want it on everything

I'm starting to think you don't like cheese... and neither should anyone else. If you don't like cheese, don't eat it. Avocados are VERY popular these days. I don't like avocados, so I don't eat them. If a menu item has avocados, I tell the waiter to hold the avocados. Problem solved.

BTW, a cheddar ice cream by medtran49 won a recipe challenge on this forum. :ohmy: That should make your head spin. :laugh:

CD

i have no problem with people liking cheese , like i said my wife likes it on certain things , but when you can't go to a restruant and order things that shouldn't come with cheese all over it i get frustrated , its just the over use of it that i object to . cheese should be an ingredient and not added to everything on the menu

I'm starting to think you don't like cheese... and neither should anyone else. If you don't like cheese, don't eat it. Avocados are VERY popular these days. I don't like avocados, so I don't eat them. If a menu item has avocados, I tell the waiter to hold the avocados. Problem solved.

BTW, a cheddar ice cream by medtran49 won a recipe challenge on this forum. :ohmy: That should make your head spin. :laugh:

CD
Preference makes the world go 'round. Avocados are a pantry item for us. We put it in salads, omelets, sauces, sandwiches etc. What I can't abide is celery. I shiver at the thought of it. :)

i have no problem with people liking cheese , like i said my wife likes it on certain things , but when you can't go to a restruant and order things that shouldn't come with cheese all over it i get frustrated , its just the over use of it that i object to . cheese should be an ingredient and not added to everything on the menu
It may just be a "gourmet" fad. I remember almost 30 years ago, when the rest of the world discovered Balsamic vinegar. All of a sudden, we had balsamic fish, balsamic grills, balsamic salads, deep-fried balsamic croquettes, Chicken Tikka Masala with balsamic, even strawberries with balsamic.
Then it was sundried tomatoes. Then it was garlic, especially if it was black. Then leeks. Then avocados with poached eggs.
If I see something on a menu with loads of "XX" on it, then I just don't order it. Or I go somewhere else.

It may just be a "gourmet" fad. I remember almost 30 years ago, when the rest of the world discovered Balsamic vinegar. All of a sudden, we had balsamic fish, balsamic grills, balsamic salads, deep-fried balsamic croquettes, Chicken Tikka Masala with balsamic, even strawberries with balsamic.
Then it was sundried tomatoes. Then it was garlic, especially if it was black. Then leeks. Then avocados with poached eggs.
If I see something on a menu with loads of "XX" on it, then I just don't order it. Or I go somewhere else.

I just haven't seen this "trend" of putting cheese on or in "everything." I find all kinds of foods on menus that don't have cheese on or in them, and shouldn't. For things like burgers, just say "No cheese," when you order. Even fast food joints will sell you a burger with no cheese.

At good TexMex restaurants, even tacos and fajitas don't come with cheese, unless you ask for it. At Taco Bell, yeah, everything has cheese. But, Taco Bell serves trash food... even if you order it without cheese.

Maybe it is a big thing in Colorado. 🤷‍♂️ Real Texas chili doesn't have cheese on it. Cincinnati chili does. I don't know what they do in Colorado.

Hey grumpyoldman, just be glad you don't live in Wisconsin. They wear cheese there. :laugh:

1701314917047.png

CD

Last edited:
last night i saw a national fast food chain's ad for a BBQ burger with cheese on it !!
thats just going to far!!!
i have been to Wisconsin and i did kinda like the state as a whole and i have to hand it to them they have a hell of a PR program

last night i saw a national fast food chain's ad for a BBQ burger with cheese on it !!
..but a Cheeseburger is an institution. It's nothing new. Mac and Cheese is on millions of menus. Quesadillas - well most of them have "queso" (cheese) in them. Eggplant Parmigiana - topped with cheese. Baked potatoes - gotta have cheese on them. Pub nachos (a particularly US dish) - with cheese.
I don't see where "cheese on everything" is coming from.
I'm not happy about fish with cheese, however. I think the cheese masks the flavour of the fish, even in classic recipes like Sole Mornay and Lobster Thermidor. I'm happy eating sole with butter and lemon, and lobster, butter/olive oil and garlic.

..but a Cheeseburger is an institution. It's nothing new. Mac and Cheese is on millions of menus. Quesadillas - well most of them have "queso" (cheese) in them. Eggplant Parmigiana - topped with cheese. Baked potatoes - gotta have cheese on them. Pub nachos (a particularly US dish) - with cheese.
I don't see where "cheese on everything" is coming from.
I'm not happy about fish with cheese, however. I think the cheese masks the flavour of the fish, even in classic recipes like Sole Mornay and Lobster Thermidor. I'm happy eating sole with butter and lemon, and lobster, butter/olive oil and garlic.

Yep. There are some things I would never eat with cheese on or in it.

I don't generally like cheese and seafood, but I do have to admit, I had lobster Mac-and-cheese once, and it was pretty good.

I'd never put cheese on BBQ, but I have made brisket burgers. When I pan fried one, I added mushrooms and cheese ... Recipe - Mushroom Swiss Brisket Bagel Burger. When I smoked the beef patty, I didn't use cheese. BTW, like most Texans, I don't sauce beef BBQ, but I did on this burger... Recipe - Texas Smoked Brisket Burger .

I'm flexible.

CD

yes add cheese to a hamburger and you have a "cheese burger " that i have 0 problem with and have cooked many of them for other people just don't call it a" hamburger"
i am well known here in this area for my barbcue but if anyone adds cheese to my bbq after all the time and effort i put into making it i think i would have to strangle em !!!!!

i am well known here in this area for my barbcue but if anyone adds cheese to my bbq after all the time and effort i put into making it i think i would have to strangle em !!!!!

I make great steaks. If someone wanted steak sauce or <gasp> ketchup for their steak, they ain't getting it. So far, nobody has done that.

CD

Back
Top Bottom