The worst!

firelily99

Veteran
Local time
5:52 AM
What is the worst thing that you have ever cooked or the worst recipe that you have ever tried?

They sound good in theory but I know nutmeg is a strongly flavored spice. Yuck, that made me cringe when I read it! Hope you have finally found the recipe.

Ocean pie. Truly the most disgusting thing i have ever tried to eat. Gross in the extreme. And felt physically ill.

Not necessarily a recipe, but my husband and I were talking this evening about one of the times when we were cycling around the world when we ran desperately short on supplies and had to make do with what we had with us for 2 days before we came across a shop...there was no choice of roads, we simply had to continue until we got to the next town. Regretfully what the map we had did not tell us was exactly how many times the road was to climb +1000metres before plummeting back to sea level and climbing it again. We had emergency supplies with us, and they were being kept as a last resort, but we would consume a reasonable amount of sugar with our coffee & tea and also on porridge in the mornings, not to mention get through an entire loaf of break each day and a pot of jam or peanut butter every other day. Our calorie intake needed to be around 8,000 calories a day for what we were doing and we were both still loosing way too much weight even eating that much...

Anyhow, on the last evening before finally getting to somewhere with houses and hence a shop, our evening meal had been rice with apricots in it. that was all - it was actually very nice, if not very substantial or filling. Drinks were more interesting because we were out of sugar but for a mad reason I won't go into here we had loads of packets of Polos (a spearmint flavoured sweet that is not particularly large and does not have many calories).

The problem came with breakfast. Usually breakfast would have been porridge made with soya milk, with nuts, dried fruit, sugar, coffee & sugar and then bread with marg & jam and bread with peanut butter. All we had left was porridge oats, water and polos. I can officially tell you that those 3 ingredients should not ever be combined... and I have never, ever been so grateful to see a shop before lunch! (lunch would have been the emergency rations!)

Well peppermint tea sweetened with polos was acceptable.
Coffee sweetened with polos was interesting, and we drank it through gritted teeth.
porridge sweetened with polos was not edible... and no amount of hunger was going to keep that 'meal' down!:sick:

All we had left was porridge oats, water and polos. I can officially tell you that those 3 ingredients should not ever be combined...

Yikes! Good to know. I'm a fan of polo mints, so I might have actually tried that if I hadn't read your post.

I'd always thought better than to try to substitute ketchup for tomato sauce in a pasta, although I personally know two people now who had to figure that out the hard way too!

I have never heard of ocean pie but I'm guessing by the name that it's a fish/seafood dish?

Yes. All kinds of fish in a white sauce with a pastry topping. Revolting muck, and I like fish, but that? Bleh

That is the first that I have ever heard of ocean pie and although I am a fish lover I would think that is something that I will avoid. It sounds revolting and I don't know if I would eat it even if I was starving.

Yes. All kinds of fish in a white sauce with a pastry topping. Revolting muck, and I like fish, but that? Bleh

Oh wow. Yes, I like fish too but on description alone, that dish doesn't sound too appealing to me!

I buy Hamburger Helper to fix on nights I'm super busy and don't have time really to cook. Hamburger Helper also has Chicken Helper. I bought the Lemon Pepper type one once. ONCE! It was horrible, nasty. Sat like a brick in mine and my son's stomach til we through it and our toenails up. Ugh. Never again!

I've lucked out and never had a real miss, but I'm also not very adventurous. Once I made a cream based seafood soup--I really don't know what I was thinking--and it didn't turn out too well. I think the problem is you were supposed to add any of the "juice" from the seafood so seafood water mixed with cream is probably a no-no for most people. The good thing is we were able to tell right away that something probably wasn't right with it so we tossed it and chalked it up to a loss. Also, that ocean pie sounds interesting. I can't imagine it.

I've lucked out and never had a real miss, but I'm also not very adventurous. Once I made a cream based seafood soup--I really don't know what I was thinking--and it didn't turn out too well. I think the problem is you were supposed to add any of the "juice" from the seafood so seafood water mixed with cream is probably a no-no for most people. The good thing is we were able to tell right away that something probably wasn't right with it so we tossed it and chalked it up to a loss. Also, that ocean pie sounds interesting. I can't imagine it.

Dont try to. It was disgusting. I can't even think of eating anything seafoody.. bleh.

I found a recipe on Pinterest for homemade Swedish Meatballs. The picture looked exactly like the dish that I love so I thought I would give it a try. Epic. Fail. I will admit that I did not have all the right ingredients although I expected my trusty substitutions to work just as well as they usually do. Yeah, not so much. I have thought about attempting the recipe again but haven't got that brave yet!

I found a recipe on Pinterest for homemade Swedish Meatballs. The picture looked exactly like the dish that I love so I thought I would give it a try. Epic. Fail. I will admit that I did not have all the right ingredients although I expected my trusty substitutions to work just as well as they usually do. Yeah, not so much. I have thought about attempting the recipe again but haven't got that brave yet!

Oh that's so disappointing. I love Swedish meatballs and would love to be able to make them instead of buying them from Ikea :rolleyes: Do you think if you had the right ingredients the meatballs would have been good or do you think the recipe was one of those that would be a "miss" no matter what?

Back
Top Bottom