The wrong and ( too) early Christmas exitement thread

- - -
Why does Finnish christmas end at the 6th of January?
- - -
It's just an informal, old custom - nobody follows it strictly or anything. Many people go to work between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve and schools usually open on the first weekday of the new year. It's a Christian tradition to celebrate name days according to an official name day calendar. We have a saying: "Good Tuomas brings the Christmas, bad Nuutti takes it away". Tuomas/"Thomas" celebrates his name day on Dec 23st, the name day of Nuutti/"Canute/Knut" is on Jan 6th: an "approriate" festive/ornamental two-week period around Christmas. By early January Christmas leftovers have been eaten and Christmas trees have started to drop off their needles.

I didn't know that Sinterklaas tradition and gift sharing is on Jan 5th in the Netherlands. Interesting! Christmas Eve is Jan 6th in many Eastern European/Orthodox Christian countries (e.g. in Russia), following the Julian calendar.

Definitely, one of the reasons I posted it now. I am focussing on prepping for Christmas to distract me from less fun things going on in my life at the moment and it's working really well.
I'm glad to hear its helping you to cope with things, I know you've posted on other threads the challenges you have going on. Stay strong xxx

Yes, we're doing the same though our tree is going up next weekend. You have a tree in the kitchen, is that because you eat there?
Yes we have a dining-kitchen.....one end of the room is the kitchen and the other end is the dining room, and the tree is in the corner of the dining room. We also have a tree in the lounge...that one is always a real tree and is the "main" tree where we hang our favourite decorations.

The tree in the kitchen happened almost by accident....the first year we were in this house we got out our old artificial tree and quickly realised it was too small for the lounge (its a slim tree, but the space in the lounge requires a more traditionally-shaped one). So seeing as we had the old tree out anyway we decided to be decadent and put it up in the kitchen (luckily we have a set of baubles in shades of purple that perfectly fit my kitchen colour scheme) - it quickly became a tradition :happy:

I'm glad to hear its helping you to cope with things, I know you've posted on other threads the challenges you have going on. Stay strong xxx

Yes we have a dining-kitchen.....one end of the room is the kitchen and the other end is the dining room, and the tree is in the corner of the dining room. We also have a tree in the lounge...that one is always a real tree and is the "main" tree where we hang our favourite decorations.

The tree in the kitchen happened almost by accident....the first year we were in this house we got out our old artificial tree and quickly realised it was too small for the lounge (its a slim tree, but the space in the lounge requires a more traditionally-shaped one). So seeing as we had the old tree out anyway we decided to be decadent and put it up in the kitchen (luckily we have a set of baubles in shades of purple that perfectly fit my kitchen colour scheme) - it quickly became a tradition :happy:

Sounds really nice, and very atmospheric. If I had the space I'd do the same.

It's just an informal, old custom - nobody follows it strictly or anything. Many people go to work between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve and schools usually open on the first weekday of the new year. It's a Christian tradition to celebrate name days according to an official name day calendar. We have a saying: "Good Tuomas brings the Christmas, bad Nuutti takes it away". Tuomas/"Thomas" celebrates his name day on Dec 23st, the name day of Nuutti/"Canute/Knut" is on Jan 6th: an "approriate" festive/ornamental two-week period around Christmas. By early January Christmas leftovers have been eaten and Christmas trees have started to drop off their needles.

I didn't know that Sinterklaas tradition and gift sharing is on Jan 5th in the Netherlands. Interesting! Christmas Eve is Jan 6th in many Eastern European/Orthodox Christian countries (e.g. in Russia), following the Julian calendar.

Sinterklaas is on december 5th :okay:

Mantel is decorated .. I love sparkle and the little colored lights in the evening... I collect snowmen so the mantel has snowmen, Santa’s, angel hair and lights. The fish over the mantel is a blue marlin caught by my Grandmother in the Florida Keys (Marathon) in the late 1960s. Fish hangs there year round not only at Christmas 🤣🤣.

We shopped in M & S this morning, picked up a few bits for the festive season, did an inventory of the freezer, then made a list of stuff we still need to get but a bit closer to the day.

Mantel is decorated .. I love sparkle and the little colored lights in the evening... I collect snowmen so the mantel has snowmen, Santa’s, angel hair and lights. The fish over the mantel is a blue marlin caught by my Grandmother in the Florida Keys (Marathon) in the late 1960s. Fish hangs there year round not only at Christmas 🤣🤣. View attachment 50557
Beautiful. Mind you mate if I was Santa I would take one look at the Marlin, drop the mince pies and get back up the chimney like a rat up a drain pipe.

Back
Top Bottom