The wrong and ( too) early Christmas exitement thread

Do the jingle bells always hang on the wall or only at Christmas?
Those are always up, part of a display of horse brass, etc:

The brass and the bells came from somewhere in England, I think the slate etching from Wales, and the cowbell came from Austria. The two tankards aren't part of the theme, they used to sell those for all the air bases in the U.K., as mementos. One is from RAF Upper Heyford and the other from RAF Alconbury.

Those bells sound magnificent, BTW. Nothing like the stuff sold in the holiday section of the department store.

Our family is huge. Gift giving became a burden. For years the siblings drew names and gifted the nieces and nephew. Now the Nieces and their Spouses have asked to be included in the name drawing. A gift in the range of $50 for your secret recipient. We do small gifts, maybe ornaments from Hobby Lobby at 50% off or, in my case, food - brownies or cookies or mini holiday bread loaves. We spoil the great nieces and nephews outrageously. They get sooo much STUFF. I give them money. My youngest Niece and my eldest Great Nephew are 16. I give them money to use at their discretion. The younger Great Nieces and Nephews are given money for their education account. My eldest Great Niece is 9 so she may get money to spend at her discretion. The things these children like or want are all tech stuff that is beyond my budget.

Haven't seen it, what is the theme this year?
"Give A Little Love," and it's about random acts of kindness, or paying it forward, I suppose.

It's visually unsettling, as it starts as live action, then cycles through multiple visual styles. The kid with the weird hairdo, I don't know why, but it almost makes me nauseous. I can't explain it. It's like I'm seeing something unnatural, I guess.

View: https://youtu.be/LUmPzwLNiMk

For years the siblings drew names and gifted the nieces and nephew.
Once all the nieces and nephews arrived and it was obvious the childbearing was over, my wife's family moved to that model, but it lasted just a few years.

One family member kind of put herself in charge of the whole thing, and began changing the rules and dictating terms, then other family members decided to buck that, and it just sort of fell apart.

I can't remember exactly, but I think someone wanted to move to a "just buy gifts for the 'kids'," even though the "kids" were 25-35 years old, and someone else (quite likely me) ended up balking at that. It wasn't that I wanted a gift for myself, but I do get a little churlish when someone tells me Christmas is "mainly just for the kids," so it's very possible I was the one who finally excused himself, causing the whole pyramid to crumble, but I'm not exactly sure. Sounds like me, though. 😬

"Give A Little Love," and it's about random acts of kindness, or paying it forward, I suppose.

It's visually unsettling, as it starts as live action, then cycles through multiple visual styles. The kid with the weird hairdo, I don't know why, but it almost makes me nauseous. I can't explain it. It's like I'm seeing something unnatural, I guess.

It seems to have been very well received by JL/W customer base and the partners. The only complaints have been about the 222 bus, it does not run through that area. For those that don't know John Lewis/ Waitrose their Partners (employees) have the best "employers" in UK retail. My wife remembers the Halcyon year when in March each year she would receive her partner dividend. Her best year was 15% of her annual gross salary tax free. This year the partners expected nothing but they still got 2%. Next year the dividend is canceled with full support of the partners who want the firm to survive. Partners claim for obvious reasons that this years advert cost 10% of previous years.
This year, John Lewis and Waitrose are aiming to raise £4million for FareShare, which helps those facing food poverty and Home-Start, which works with parents who need support.
Taster mate this is the vid that runs after the Christmas Vid. My wife is very proud to have been a Waitrose partner.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bewwONIfo4Y&ab_channel=JohnLewis%26Partners

Last edited:

Its nauseating. The soundtrack alone is dreadful.

... I should add that I appreciate the motives (in terms of matching donations) and also supporting the media industries. The different styles were chosen to enable more people across the industry to be employed. I just hate the sentimental tone.

Customers will be encouraged to give a little love in five different ways; making a charity donation, buying campaign products with 100% of profit donated to the charities, using their loyalty card to increase the Partnership’s donation, giving a little love to someone they know who needs it and helping in their local community.

Customer donations up to the value of £2m will be match funded by a donation from the John Lewis Partnership. A further fund of over £1m has also been created to ensure all of the retailers’ shops will be actively partnering with FareShare and Home-Start and a range of local family charities in the communities they serve.

The unique approach was chosen in a spirit of kindness towards the creative industry, which has been hard hit by the pandemic. Instead of a single production team, multiple artists were selected, giving employment to many people across the creative industry.

Back
Top Bottom