Things to do in Texas

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
11:36 AM
This was asked in another thread so I will attempt to give a brief overview of Texas.
Feel free to ask about more information about any given area.

I will start with museums.
There are museums in nearly every city and small town.
Fort Worth has several museums on a variety of subjects from science to cowboys, all within walking distance of each other.
Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Austin also have many museums.
Odessa has the presidential museum, the Meteor Crater, and an art museum. The presidential museum is for all the presidents. The small town of Wink has the Roy Orbison museum. Midland has the petroleum museum which is all about the oilfield.

Several cities also have zoos.
The best in my opinion are Fort Worth, Lufkin, (my great uncle's train engine is there too), Tyler, San Antonio, Abilene and finally Victoria. Those are from best to worst in my opinion. Dallas also has a zoo but I have never visited it.

Amusement parks.
Six Flags over Texas. It is in Arlington. That is between Dallas and Fort Worth. Many other things to do there including the Ripley's Believe it or not museum.
Astroworld in Houston.
Fiesta Texas and SeaWorld in San Antonio.
Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, Galveston and Padre Island.

There are several aquariums in Texas. I didn't like the one in Dallas but Corpus Christi has a nice one and Rockport has a small free one with all native to the area species. They also have the Texas Maritime museum.

Another fun thing to do is McDonald Observatory.
It is either the largest or second largest telescope in the world. Tours on I think Tuesdays and Fridays.

Trivia.
Texas is 695, 621 square kilometers. That is over 167 million acres.

We have miles and miles of beaches. All kinds of state parks and lakes. You can visit a forest in east Texas, the mountains in west Texas. In my area, we have what is called Sandhills. We have the Kermit Sandhills, the Monahans Sandhills and the Imperial Sandhills. (The last one is closer to Penwell but it called Imperial because you take the Imperial road.)
We also have several racetracks.

Cindy's top restaurants.
For the best beef ribs: Riscky's in Fort Worth.
For the best barbecue Mexican: Del Norte Tacos in Godley. It is a little restaurant but people drive an hour to eat there.
For the best fried fish: Lake Jackson Seafood in Gun Barrel City.
For the best chicken fried steak: Western Sky on Chadbourne Street in San Angelo.
Best Mexican in San Angelo is Franco's at 23rd and Martin Luther King.
Best German food would have to be Oma's Haus in New Braunfels.
Best Mexican food whichever Mexican food place is busy at an odd hour for eating. That applies in nearly every town.

Note: this list in no way reflects all Texans. Just what I have found to be the best.

Back
Top Bottom