Things to do in Texas

I want the best! Seafood would be first. German... that's interesting. Now why would there be German restaurants in Texas?
Could be because the Fredericksburg/New Braunfels area was settled by people of German descent. Fredericksburg even has an Oktoberfest.
Reminds me I forgot about Luckenbach. It is a very small town just outside of Fredericksburg. They have a bar, small general store and a dance hall. Live music on some weekends.
View: https://youtu.be/xvZeYDBY4fw

Why no mention of the Yellow Rose? Seems to be getting lighter these days.

Houston, "Nodding Donkey's"
Relatives owned a "few" of the latter, and two who worked for NASA.

Just to clear up some more misconceptions, on my mom's side I am a second and fifth generation Texan.
My ethnicity is English, Irish, German, Dutch, Choctaw (Native American) and who knows what else.

Quick history lesson, in the early days people from all over the world settled in Texas. They typically settled in areas that were closest in nature to their native lands. Which is why we have several predominantly German towns. The southern end of Texas is predominantly people from Mexico.

Of course you have some parts of Western Texas that is mostly cactus and rattlesnakes.
It is entirely possible to be 100 miles (160km) from fuel in some parts of the state. If not farther. Yes, there are signs that say last fuel for however many miles on the Interstate. Heed the warning and fill up.

Just to clear up some more misconceptions, on my mom's side I am a second and fifth generation Texan.
My ethnicity is English, Irish, German, Dutch, Choctaw (Native American) and who knows what else.

Quick history lesson, in the early days people from all over the world settled in Texas. They typically settled in areas that were closest in nature to their native lands. Which is why we have several predominantly German towns. The southern end of Texas is predominantly people from Mexico.

Of course you have some parts of Western Texas that is mostly cactus and rattlesnakes.
It is entirely possible to be 100 miles (160km) from fuel in some parts of the state. If not farther. Yes, there are signs that say last fuel for however many miles on the Interstate. Heed the warning and fill up.

My husband has German ancestry as apparently do I

I

Have you noticed and strange goings on :wink:
Sometimes but I can assure you it isn't aliens.
I shall share one with you.
In a town about an hour from here, a woman tried to steal a tv from the local supercenter. The employees tried to catch her but she dropped the tv and ran off toward the mountain area. The cops found her robbing a corpse.
I guess for the poor guy, it was a good thing or it might have been a long time if ever before he was found.

Our primary crops are oil, typically in west Texas, wind throughout the state, cotton mostly in middle western Texas, and cattle. Mostly around Amarillo and the Fort Worth regions.

Our primary crops are oil, typically in west Texas, wind throughout the state, cotton mostly in middle western Texas, and cattle. Mostly around Amarillo and the Fort Worth regions.
How do you harvest the wind, and is it available in bags or cans?

Not quite as daft as it sounds. Someone I know sold "Fresh Country Air, from Ireland" in cans, when he was still at school. Odd one from the cow shed as well.

I will start with museums.
There are museums in nearly every city and small town.
Fort Worth has several museums on a variety of subjects from science to cowboys, all within walking distance of each other.
Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Austin also have many museums.
Odessa has the presidential museum, the Meteor Crater, and an art museum. The presidential museum is for all the presidents. The small town of Wink has the Roy Orbison museum. Midland has the petroleum museum which is all about the oilfield.

Several cities also have zoos.
The best in my opinion are Fort Worth, Lufkin, (my great uncle's train engine is there too), Tyler, San Antonio, Abilene and finally Victoria. Those are from best to worst in my opinion. Dallas also has a zoo but I have never visited it.

Amusement parks.
Six Flags over Texas. It is in Arlington. That is between Dallas and Fort Worth. Many other things to do there including the Ripley's Believe it or not museum.
Astroworld in Houston.
Fiesta Texas and SeaWorld in San Antonio.
Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, Galveston and Padre Island.

There are several aquariums in Texas. I didn't like the one in Dallas but Corpus Christi has a nice one and Rockport has a small free one with all native to the area species. They also have the Texas Maritime museum.
Why no mention of the likes
The Space Center Houston or NASA Johnson Space Center

ZERO-G DINER

http://spacecenter.org/zero-g-diner/

Back
Top Bottom