Thit Bo Kho (Vietnamese Beef Jerky)

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
3:06 AM
Had a go at replicating my favourite beer snack of all time. Turned out really nice, and spicy by design.

P1050611fb.jpg

I'm not exactly sure, but I do know "bo" is beef. I mispelled it in the title by calling it "bho". But am not sure how to edit titles.

To edit Titles click on 'Thread Tools' (top right of the first post) and choose ' Edit Thread' - you will then see the title come up and you can change it and add a prefix such as 'Recipe' if required.

Looking into oven-based jerky techniques, it seems that all follow the same basic method:
  1. Cut the meat into strips.
  2. Marinade for at least an hour.
  3. Place in oven under low heat (180°F / 85°C). Cook for 8 hours or until it reaches desired texture.
It doesn't seem to matter much what kind of meat it is (salmon vs. beef vs. something else).

Forget the translation: Method, please! :chef:

I marinated mine for 24 hours. For this one I tried a quicker oven method I saw a Vietnamese lady do on YouTube. Preheated oven to a higher temp at 200 celsius. Then put the beef on a cooling rack over a backing tray to top of oven, and did 15 minutes before turning and doing another 15 minutes.

At that point I didn't think it was dried out enough, even thiugh that's all she did it for on the video which looked good. So I turned the heat off but left the beef in there until the oven was completely cool again.

I was quite happy with the ensuing result, but I think there's still room for improvement. Next time I'll try the low and slow method as you've detailed above.

Back
Top Bottom