Tinned tuna

I have an old friend from high school who lives in Alaska. She sends me smoked salmon from time to time, some of it in a can/tin. I whip it up with cream cheese and eat it on crackers.

As for canned tuna, I'm good for a good tuna salad sandwich. Tuna, mayonnaise, onion, celery and diced dill pickles all mixed up and served on bread with some lettuce (or just as a lettuce wrap).

I quickie version is canned tuna, Kraft Miracle Whip, pickle relish served on a roll with some potato chips -- yes, put the chips/crisps on the sandwich.

CD

Add chopped up hard boiled eggs to that and you have what I call "My Deli Tuna Special".

As I sit here eating a tuna sandwich, I realized that my oldest brother shared a different view on canned tuna. While I have my preference on the quality, he always said "The tuna is nothing more than a vehicle for the mayo."

As I sit here eating a tuna sandwich, I realized that my oldest brother shared a different view on canned tuna. While I have my preference on the quality, he always said "The tuna is nothing more than a vehicle for the mayo."
Reminds me of a Serious Eats article about BLT's, where Kenji-What's-His-Face dictated that the bacon is merely there to offset the tomato, that the tomato is the real star.

he always said "The tuna is nothing more than a vehicle for the mayo."

To be honest, I think most people and that includes kids, like regular tinned tuna because its bland and not very fishy tasting. So it serves as a vehicle for other things. Much like mass farmed chicken, I suppose.

I like canned tuna with mayo, mustard, boiled eggs, pickle relish, and onion on a sandwich. I rarely eat it, though. With all the other ingredients I am not too snobby about the kind of tuna, but I prefer packed in water if making "tuna salad" for sandwiches because the mayo is already oily enough. And, my husband likes tuna casserole so I make it for him with canned tuna. He likes it made with cream of mushroom soup and egg noodles with crushed potato chops on top. I prefer fresh or frozen tuna filets always. I like to encrust them in sesame seeds and sear them on both sides, serving them rare with a side of wasabi and soy sauce. Mmmmmm.

Edited to add that I will add celery to the tuna sandwich mixture if I have some on hand but it's not something I have around on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I have not bought canned tuna in ages, although I've sometimes selected the tuna salad sandwiches at work (over either their slimy ham sandwiches or their dry chicken breast salad sandwiches).

My ideal tuna sandwich has chopped dill pickles, chopped celery, a little onion, lots of mayo, and a hint of curry powder and ground pepper. It would be the light, not white variant, and normally packed in water. If packed in oil, I'd only want a quality brand packed in olive oil.
Oh, I'd also like a crispy lettuce leaf or three on the sandwich.

So lobster and some other seafood do not have a fishy taste at all. What is it you find offputting?
It's the whole experience. The icky goop that's comes out of lobsters when they're cracked open and whether they taste like fish or not, I don't know, but the smell when they're being prepared and served is horrendous.

Besides, I grew up in a house where my dad constantly referred to crabs as "water spiders" and the ocean as "God's toilet," so that probably conditioned me a bit. :laugh:

It's the whole experience. The icky goop that's comes out of lobsters when they're cracked open and whether they taste like fish or not, I don't know, but the smell when they're being prepared and served is horrendous.

Besides, I grew up in a house where my dad constantly referred to crabs as "water spiders" and the ocean as "God's toilet," so that probably conditioned me a bit. :laugh:

This reminds me I must make a crayfish Sammich. With mashed egg and mayo. I need to try one of your lobsters some time.

Russ

You do know that most animals have icky goop oozing out of them when they are cracked open...some probably smell worse than others but I think lobsters are on the lower part of the offender list. We all have our own opinions on that...

You do know that most animals have icky goop oozing out of them when they are cracked open...some probably smell worse than others but I think lobsters are on the lower part of the offender list. We all have our own opinions on that...

The brown stuff in the head is the sauce. I put it on the sammich.

Russ

There speaks a man who's never tried good bacon.
In it's
14480747_1112075278868996_7658740388725762871_o.jpg

many guises
download (19).jpg

We get a lot of Tuna here because of the clean water. We even have Japanese owned Tuna farms, the fish is not for local consumption, They fly it to Japan on special charter planes. The only way I eat fresh Tuna is raw or steamed then left to go cold, On the grill or pan local sword fish is much tastier in my opinion.
SWORDFISHRATATOUILLE004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom