To Vegan or not to Vegan

Humans are at the top of the food chain -- most of the time. :unsure:

I like meat. I like vegetables. So, I eat both.

I do want livestock to live a decent life and die in a humane manor, and I'd pay more for that, if necessary.

ALSO, I want my vegetables to be grown with earth friendly methods. There is no superiority to being vegetarian or vegan if your food source is poisoning rivers with toxic runoff. There are huge "dead zones" in the Gulf of Mexico from irresponsible vegetable and grain farming in the "heartland."

CD

:hyper:
No colon = colostomy bag. You are so young and so beautiful. You are also an extraordinarily strong woman. You have my deepest respect and admiration.

No an Ileostomy bag. With a colostomy you still have part of your colon. That's why its a colo - stomy. My bag is connected to the small bowel ( ileus).

I had to get one because the Ulcerative Colitis was killing me, my colon was close to perforating so I had to choose either risking a painful death or living with no colon.

I am glad I did it, my life has been so much better since. I am mostly pain free and the Ulcerative Colitis is in deep remission for the past two years.

No an Ileostomy bag. With a colostomy you still have part of your colon. That's why its a colo - stomy. My bag is connected to the small bowel ( ileus).

I had to get one because the Ulcerative Colitis was killing me, my colon was close to perforating so I had to choose either risking a painful death or living with no colon.

I am glad I did it, my life has been so much better since. I am mostly pain free and the Ulcerative Colitis is in deep remission for the past two years.

Man that's a hard thing to do, I've never heard of that before. We all need to just appreciate life, it's so brutal at times. I guess long term is best as opposed to leaving it.

Russ

Man that's a hard thing to do, I've never heard of that before. We all need to just appreciate life, it's so brutal at times. I guess long term is best as opposed to leaving it.

Russ

Yeah I had a rough ride with it between 27 and 30. Been hospitalized 10 times in that period and on the intensive care twice. People really underestimate how dangerous autoimmune diseases can get if you have a severe one.
I'm glad I made it. Been symptom free since 14 march 2018 ( the day of my surgery).

I still have other autoimmune conditions, but none are severe like the Ulcerative Colitis was.

Yeah I had a rough ride with it between 27 and 30. Been hospitalized 10 times in that period and on the intensive care twice. People really underestimate how dangerous autoimmune diseases can get if you have a severe one.
I'm glad I made it. Been symptom free since 14 march 2018 ( the day of my surgery).

I still have other autoimmune conditions, but none are severe like the Ulcerative Colitis was.

And so young, you have the right attitude , and that's half the battle. One thing I do know is the body can take a real hammering, then bounce back. :)

Russ

And so young, you have the right attitude , and that's half the battle. One thing I do know is the body can take a real hammering, then bounce back. :)

Russ

Oh going through this kind of thing makes you very grateful for life. I definitely have got an optimistic outlook because I survived all this I am not afraid of the future. I recon I've had my share of bad luck for now so things can only get better 🙂 and they are indeed much better two years on.

Oh going through this kind of thing makes you very grateful for life. I definitely have got an optimistic outlook because I survived all this I am not afraid of the future. I recon I've had my share of bad luck for now so things can only get better 🙂 and they are indeed much better two years on.

I was in a coma for 10 days 22 sept 06 (always remember critical dates) I treasure every day, I'm not afraid of death.

Russ

After one month of eating a vegan diet, I asked myself the very same question. Here is the response. ( Read 28 Days of the Vegan article )
Impressive. Your article is very thoughtful and thought provoking without all of the overblown yada yada that I usually hear from vegans and vegetarians. Your honesty about taste and texture is appreciated. No way do I believe the hype about plant based substitutes for meat and cheese being just as good as the real deal.
You are approaching the three month mark of your new life style, are you still happy with your decision? Do the benefits outweigh the sacrifices?
BTW Ramsey's video on scrambled eggs is one I have seen before - by far the BEST scrambled eggs! I use sour cream instead of creme fraiche just because I usually have it in the fridge. I have also used plain Greek yogurt.

Impressive. Your article is very thoughtful and thought provoking without all of the overblown yada yada that I usually hear from vegans and vegetarians. Your honesty about taste and texture is appreciated. No way do I believe the hype about plant based substitutes for meat and cheese being just as good as the real deal.
Thank you. One of my goals when writing the article was to ignore all the typical vegan "yada yada". I thought it was important to highlight cooking challenges like taste and texture. I'm pleased you noticed.
You are approaching the three month mark of your new life style, are you still happy with your decision? Do the benefits outweigh the sacrifices?
Absolutely happy. In particular, I like trying to replicate my old recipes. So far, I have been doing pretty well. As far as benefits versus sacrifices goes, I believe the benefits far outweigh the sacrifices. I have even discovered a few hidden benefits. For example, previously I was always tempted to stop at fast food restaurants. My commute home was a constant battle of wills. Now that I am vegan, I find it much easier to drive past them without a second thought.

BTW Ramsey's video on scrambled eggs is one I have seen before - by far the BEST scrambled eggs! I use sour cream instead of creme fraiche just because I usually have it in the fridge. I have also used plain Greek yogurt.
I used Mexican Table cream. It is amazing though, how well Ramsay's method works.

Absolutely happy. In particular, I like trying to replicate my old recipes. So far, I have been doing pretty well. As far as benefits versus sacrifices goes, I believe the benefits far outweigh the sacrifices. I have even discovered a few hidden benefits. For example, previously I was always tempted to stop at fast food restaurants. My commute home was a constant battle of wills. Now that I am vegan, I find it much easier to drive past them without a second thought.
I look forward to seeing your revised recipes. That must be a challenge.
Fortunately fast food is not a real issue for me. There is an exception, a local Asian market in a very questionable part of town (not a place to go after dark) that makes the BEST fried chicken tenders.

My daughters ex was a vegetarian so she mainly ate vego meals. She moved here late November due to a split with her ex plus a hip replacement. She moves out in a few weeks now her life is back on track. Since she's been here eating what we eat, she's been having steaks and other meats. She says her stomach is finding it hard to adapt to meat again. She gets stomach pains. Her 7yo son loves meat and he eats quite a bit of it. She's bought him up on meat products like processed ham etc.
is it normal to get stomach pains from meat?

Russ

My daughters ex was a vegetarian so she mainly ate vego meals. She moved here late November due to a split with her ex plus a hip replacement. She moves out in a few weeks now her life is back on track. Since she's been here eating what we eat, she's been having steaks and other meats. She says her stomach is finding it hard to adapt to meat again. She gets stomach pains. Her 7yo son loves meat and he eats quite a bit of it. She's bought him up on meat products like processed ham etc.
is it normal to get stomach pains from meat?

Russ
It's probably the lower GI tract that is rebelling, not the stomach itself. The intestines and colon can get irritated by lots of things, including things you stopped eating. It could be the animal fat in meat.

CD

Do you even know where your stomach is? Put your fist below your breast bone. That is where your stomach resides.
Put your hand on your belly. Small intestines surrounded by your colon. Not scientific. Just a general guide line.

Back
Top Bottom