Toasted sandwiches/Jaffles

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:56 AM
Do you make toasted sandwiches or 'toasties' (known as jaffles in AUS)? I was reminded the subject by a post from @Frizz1974 here.

Perhaps you have a toasted sandwich maker? They used to be a very popular gadget in most households here I seem to remember and I have one tucked away somewhere. Perhaps toasted sandwiches have fallen out of fashion? For some reason you don't hear much about them these days. You can, of course make them without the gadget but the sandwich maker conveniently seals the edges.

Of course the obvious favourite filling is cheese which melts to a molten goo inside the sandwich. I used to make cheese and Branston pickle toasties. Do you make toasties and what are your favourite fillings?

We had a sandwich maker when my kids were little. It was a quick, easy way to make them grilled ham/cheese sandwiches with the filling contained in the bread .

We've also used them in the past to make desserts. We would stuff them with a cherry pie filling and toast away :)

Leftover roast chicken mixed with a little leftover gravy & grated cheddar. Mix it up & use it to stuff toasties.
Some caramelised onion never hurt either.

Ham, cheese & tomato

Tuna, onion & cheese.

My Dad had one of the originals that sealed the edges but didn’t cut the sandwich through the middle. He could get an egg in there. That was pretty good.

Baked beans & cheese is pretty good too.

My partner doesn’t eat cheese so I make him ham, tomato & onion usually.

Last edited:
Sunday night growing up as kids in the winter were jaffle nights. Cheese and onion, maybe some tomatoe or even bacon if mum was a bit flush,lol. I tend to eat even now things we had as kids . My main fillings are like mg, cheese and pickle but we call it chow chow here. Or cheese and creamed corn.i sometimes just do them under the grill in the oven.

Hmmm, maybe tea one night.

I'm afraid my toasted sandwiches are very boring. Ham, cheese and tomato in any combination.

toasted cheese and ham 3 s.jpg

We had a toasted sandwich make in the 80s when they were fashionable. I had peanut butter as can't have cheese. I've just discovered a vegan cheese I actually like so have been trying out cheese and tomato but on toast not as a sandwich - until I saw this thread.

We had a toasted sandwich make in the 80s when they were fashionable. I had peanut butter as can't have cheese. I've just discovered a vegan cheese I actually like so have been trying out cheese and tomato but on toast not as a sandwich - until I saw this thread.

There is only one brand vegan cheese my son will eat (we tried them all) and that is:

IDShot_540x540-25.jpg

They do a mozzarella version too which strings when melted. I still think it tastes so mild it is barely cheese tasting.

I tend to only do toasted cheese sandwiches but i do like playing with the bread cheese combo...sour dough with provalone is a good combo and so is chedder jack on toasted garlic bread.

Back
Top Bottom