Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the instant yeasts here you don't need to pre-mix and froth them. You add it direct to the flour and then add warmish water. If you use colder water it will take longer to rise, but to my knowledge unless the water is ice cold it won't actually kill the yeast.
I use both here, depending on what I'm making and what the recipe calls for.

The bread I'm making today uses instant yeast, though I usually use the active dry yeast. Instant yeast, for me anyway, is usually used (as counterintuitively as it sounds) for longer, slower overnight proofs, like with pizza dough.

The bread I'm making today uses instant yeast, though I usually use the active dry yeast. Instant yeast, for me anyway, is usually used (as counterintuitively as it sounds) for longer, slower overnight proofs, like with pizza dough.

I just get the one sort of yeast which I suppose is instant - no need to froth. It seems to work fine. But who knows - maybe the product is different in the US? I do like to use fresh yeast if I can get it.

I just get the one sort of yeast which I suppose is instant - no need to froth. It seems to work fine. But who knows - maybe the product is different in the US? I do like to use fresh yeast if I can get it.
I don't know if it's different or not, and I've encountered recipes that have called for proofing instant yeast and ones for not proofing active dry yeast. I think as long as you know a little bit about the properties of each yeast, you can adjust your expectations accordingly.

Maybe you have said before, but do you put milk in this loaf. I was reading somewhere that this is the main difference between basic white bread in UK & US.
No milk, just warm water.

I've never heard that difference before. I do use buttermilk when specifically making buttermilk bread(s), but nearly any loaf other than that uses water only, though I've definitely made the occasional loaf using milk.

Our favorite recipe for a rustic country white bread uses dried milk powder, then water for the liquid. I'm sure they used the milk powder because it's a recipe from an old bread machine book.

Our favorite recipe for a rustic country white bread uses dried milk powder, then water for the liquid. I'm sure they used the milk powder because it's a recipe from an old bread machine book.
King Arthur's (the flour company, not the mythical grail-seeker :laugh: basic white sandwich bread also uses milk powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom