Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You make beautiful bread, nice bark too.

Russ
Thanks - I think I've settled on this one for my everyday bread, it's really no fuss:

Buttermilk, water, melted butter, and honey mixed up in a jug; flour, yeast (your arch-enemy :laugh:, and salt in a stand mixer bowl. Turn on the stand mixer, get the flour stirred a bit, then in with the liquid, then up the speed a notch and go do something else for 10 minutes.

Shape into a ball, coat with a little oil, then cover with plastic and let it sit for about an hour or so (I do it in the stand mixer bowl). Out onto a board, quick shape into a loaf, into a pan, cover with plastic again, let it sit for about 30 minutes while you preheat the oven, then into that for about 40 minutes, then out with the bread.

Really low effort and excellent results. I didn't bother with a dish of hot water for steam, or an egg wash, none of that.

Depending on how these taste, this may be my go-to burger bun (and hot dog bun) recipe - 40 minutes from no buns to buns cooling on the rack. 10 minute first rise, no second rise, and 10 minutes in a very hot oven.

How wonderful they look - and taste, I’m sure
I miss making bread, I’ll start again as soon as the heat won’t be so unbearable

Last edited:
I’ve always been curious about baking bread myself, but I don’t like following trends and with the bread making craze brought by covid I told myself “No way I’m baking bread now!”. Oh well here I am attempting my very first gluten free bread. The dough is resting now.

Depending on how these taste, this may be my go-to burger bun (and hot dog bun) recipe - 40 minutes from no buns to buns cooling on the rack. 10 minute first rise, no second rise, and 10 minutes in a very hot oven.
Buns were really good, so this is officially my burger bun recipe going forward. It's such a fast recipe, and nice results, too.

I’ve always been curious about baking bread myself, but I don’t like following trends and with the bread making craze brought by covid I told myself “No way I’m baking bread now!”. Oh well here I am attempting my very first gluten free bread. The dough is resting now.
How'd it turn out?

TastyReuben tastes great, but looks weird it didn’t brown on top. Gluten free bread dough is very watery and sticky and I made the silly mistake of adding too much flour when I was trying to shape it, it came out of the oven looking very white. On top of that I’m not yet used to the oven in my new house, it’s gas, doesn’t have a fan and the heat only comes from below, I bake everything on the top shelf with a large tray under it and with the bread, a tray of water Inside as well, but it’s hard to get this oven to brown stuff.

I will definitely be trying again though, tastes great, it’s cheaper than store bought gluten free bread and it’s probably healthier, the recipe is quite simple and the ingredients as well (all purpose gluten free flour, water, yeast, sugar, oil, salt).

indeed. I do a slightly less water% for no knead done-in-a-pan which always turns up spectacular.

the no knead approach is extremely attractive. flour water salt yeast - mix by spoon, leave overnight.
uber easy uber simple - and once adjusted for flour "brand" - uber reliable.

indeed. I do a slightly less water% for no knead done-in-a-pan which always turns up spectacular.

the no knead approach is extremely attractive. flour water salt yeast - mix by spoon, leave overnight.
uber easy uber simple - and once adjusted for flour "brand" - uber reliable.
Yup. I was supposed to make bread earlier in the day, which usually involves heating buttermilk and sorghum, proofing the yeast, kneading (stand mixer) for 10 minutes...in other words, a little bit of effort.

This was flour, yeast, salt and water - mixed it up during a commercial break while watching the news yesterday evening, and then today, just shaped and baked. It's not the best-looking loaf, but it was so easy, and it tastes great.

NoKnead is super flexible:
in a pot

free form

banneton with a bobble

without bobble.....

rustic with ears

"refined boule" with full on crackle

and a loaf

Last edited:

That would have looked a little better with an egg wash, but I couldn't be bothered. Dough contains fresh chopped rosemary and chopped green and black olives. Very tasty.

That's also 100% whole wheat, though it's white whole wheat, so it's not nearly as bitter as regular whole wheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom