Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dough - firstly with its shower cap on:

And after a few hours:

Knocked back, shaped and proving:

Saranak & morning glory - thank you both for your kind words. I appreciate it!

Funny side note - one of my brothers, one I rarely speak with, contacted me today about teaching him to make bread, considering everything that's going on.

Nothing will come of it, though. He'll forget by tomorrow. :laugh:

Saranak & morning glory - thank you both for your kind words. I appreciate it!

Funny side note - one of my brothers, one I rarely speak with, contacted me today about teaching him to make bread, considering everything that's going on.

Nothing will come of it, though. He'll forget by tomorrow. :laugh:

Same here TastyReuben
Back story, I have made curried onions ( onions in a curry sauce) for years. They are very popular. Two close friends ( hubby and wife, 30 years friends) the wife Lynette got dementia and passed away about 4 years ago. While she was in the dementia unit the hubby Dave got a new girlfriend and used to take her to see his wife. Wtf? He basically left all his friends when she moved in with him.
So we havnt spoken for 6 years, about six months ago he sent me a text, hey Russ, you know your onion recipe? Can I have it please.?
Wtf.? I txt him back, I don't give it out and deleted his number. Havnt heard from him since.

The cheek huh?

Russ

I have a theory that bread making is a bit like playing golf. The harder I try the worse I get. Another distaster yesterday despite following the recipe to the letter. I wish all these newbie bakers would learn to make bread properly and leave the packet mixes for numpties like me.

I have a theory that bread making is a bit like playing golf. The harder I try the worse I get. Another distaster yesterday despite following the recipe to the letter. I wish all these newbie bakers would learn to make bread properly and leave the packet mixes for numpties like me.
I make a fair amount of bread, but I still have days where, using a recipe I've used a dozen times before, something goes wrong along the way and it just doesn't work out.

If you're up to it, maybe try again, post the recipe and pics of each step as you're doing them, and if it goes wrong, maybe we can help troubleshoot the problem. Bread is, at its core, just four or five ingredients, so it should work most of the time.

So what went wrong? What recipe were you using? Most packet mixes are simply flour with instant yeast mixed in.

Looks good. Can I ask how you store your home-made bread? I do find mine dries out fairly quickly.
After years of trying every method ever listed in any resource, I'm convinced the best place to store it is in the belly.

For me, it's come down to one of two options:

1. Wrapped in a thin linen flour sack cloth and left on the counter/bread board -advantage is it won't dry out as quickly as the fridge, but I'll be lucky to get four days out of it before the mold sets it, three days in the summer.

2. In a plastic bag in the fridge. I'll get a good week out of a loaf, but the quality suffers immensely. It becomes dry and stale almost immediately.

Either way, when it gets near the end of its life, I throw it in a bag in the freezer and use it for bread crumbs, croutons, or bread pudding.

How do you store yours?

morning glory - I have read before that a bread box (with the bread wrapped in a thin towel) is the best method, as the bread needs some access to air, just not a lot, and a bread box gives the ideal environment, but I don't want yet another item cluttering up my counters, though.

I may end up going that route eventually. I don't know. I may just have to face the fact that homemade bread last a few days and just accept it. 😐

morning glory - I think I'm going to buy something like this:

Mini Retro Bread Bin - White

Hmm... Its nice, but I don't want to sacrifice counter space. I don't really understand how putting it in a tin container helps. I mean I don't understand the science. I've started making smaller loaves now there are only two of us here. 250 g flour and half the amount of yeast (about 3.5g). Thats OK for free form shapes or baguettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom